Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest Weight Loss Surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for Weight Loss Surgery patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your Weight Loss Surgery decisions as well as providing you the Weight Loss Surgery support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive BariatricPal member features!

Join our 250K+ WLS member community. It's free!!!

Side and lower stomach pain after eating?

Views
Started by AngelWhispers, Oct 25, 2008 8:44 PM
19 replies to this topic
19 replies to this topic

AngelWhispers

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
  • Surgeon: Clark Warden
  • Surgery Date: Sep 2008
  • Height: 5 feet 4 inches
  • Starting Weight: 234
  • Weight Lost: 36
  • Current Weight: 198
  • Goal Weight: 130
  • BMI: 34
Posted October 25, 2008 - 8:44 PM

I had surgery over a month ago and today I had a new, different kind of pain. After eating I started feeling cramping/sharp pains in my left side and a little in my lower stomach area. Has anyone experienced this?

P Jhay

Intermediate Member

• Surgeon: Kenneth Hollis
  • Surgery Date: Oct 2008
  • Height: 5 feet 9 inches
  • Starting Weight: 270
  • Weight Lost: 70
  • Current Weight: 200
  • Goal Weight: 190
  • BMI: 29.5
  • My Blogs
Posted October 25, 2008 - 10:02 PM

Hi Angel, this is something I am experiencing now. It feels like something pulling. Now, I've heard that it's normal in the beginning. Not too sure about 1 month out. I know it is VERY UNCOMFORTABLE. I only feel it when I'm standing.

shannonlouisiana

Intermediate Member

Posted October 25, 2008 - 10:52 PM

Yes i just expierenced that...I called my dr and he said that i could have 1. Eaten too fast and the food went down tooo big or 2. i didn't chew good enough. he said to slow down and chew chew chew and try to stay away from the WRONG food... since then i have been fine...so maybe that was my problem.hope this helps....

AngelWhispers

• Surgeon: Clark Warden
  • Surgery Date: Sep 2008
  • Height: 5 feet 4 inches
  • Starting Weight: 234
  • Weight Lost: 36
  • Current Weight: 198
  • Goal Weight: 130
  • BMI: 34
Posted October 25, 2008 - 10:53 PM

I had the kind of pain you're talking about right in the beginning, that hurt a lot more than the pain I'm having now. I had that pain mostly when I was trying to get up or roll over. But this pain is a bit different and is right after I eat but only last for maybe 1/2 hour.

deepinfl

Posted April 11, 2009 - 9:34 AM

Yes i just expierenced that...I called my dr and he said that i could have 1. Eaten too fast and the food went down tooo big or 2. i didn't chew good enough. he said to slow down and chew chew chew and try to stay away from the WRONG food... since then i have been fine...so maybe that was my problem.hope this helps....

Sometimes I wonder about these doctors! I have terrible side pain off and on and it seems to be about the same time my port is poking out through my skin more than normal. I am on liquids to see if it helps, but it's not..I wonder if it's possible for the band itself to sometimes get tucked or lie next to the lungs and cause irritation. I lift weights at the gym so I'm just wondering if I'm doing something unknowingly. D.

LifeStartsNow

The weight is over!

• My Blogs
Posted April 11, 2009 - 6:59 PM

I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but I feel a sharp pain in my left side also after I eat for about 30 mins. The best way I can describe it is it feels like a runner's cramp - or a "stitch" in your side (not a surgical stitch) - from when you're exercising and not taking in enough oxygen. It started for me after I got off liquids - I think its from getting full and it must be presssing on a nerve or something that is radiating pain to that spot.
Does yours hurt more when you take a deep breath?
I wonder what it is?:cool2:

deepinfl

Posted April 11, 2009 - 7:07 PM

I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but I feel a sharp pain in my left side also after I eat for about 30 mins. The best way I can describe it is it feels like a runner's cramp - or a "stitch" in your side (not a surgical stitch) - from when you're exercising and not taking in enough oxygen. It started for me after I got off liquids - I think its from getting full and it must be presssing on a nerve or something that is radiating pain to that spot.
Does yours hurt more when you take a deep breath?
I wonder what it is?:cool2:

Yes, worse when you breathe. I've been having it off and on after I had the surgery, but sometimes it's definitely worse. The last 3 days have been very bad, haven't been able to run. It may have something to do with the crunches I did at the gym with the weights. I just can't seem to do crunches anymore without it causing a problem. And, Lord knows my stomach NEEDS crunches!! I have a half-marathon in a week and I need this pain to be gone!!!!

bennar

Posted April 11, 2009 - 7:45 PM

Hi
I'm also 1 month post op and for the past week have been getting the same pain in my stomach. Its below my belly button and it feels like someone is twisting and stabbing my intestines. I havent felt it on my side... just lower tummy and it hurts so bad i cant move.
Glad to know im not the only one.

LifeStartsNow

The weight is over!

• My Blogs
Posted April 11, 2009 - 8:17 PM

Yes, worse when you breathe. I've been having it off and on after I had the surgery, but sometimes it's definitely worse. The last 3 days have been very bad, haven't been able to run. It may have something to do with the crunches I did at the gym with the weights. I just can't seem to do crunches anymore without it causing a problem. And, Lord knows my stomach NEEDS crunches!! I have a half-marathon in a week and I need this pain to be gone!!!!

You're doing crunches??!! WOW. :lol: there is no way I could do crunches right now. I have pain at the port site (not the incision site) and have to be very careful when I get into a squatting position. It burns and hurts very much - doctor stated he thought it may be scar tissue causing the problem. I have a very high tolerance for pain - and this is definitely painful.:cool2:

The pain I feel in my side it just below my last rib on the left side. I'm deciding its my 'signal' that I'm full. I've read where many people get a single hiccup, or some other odd effect. I think this jab in the side might be mine since I notice the more I eat, the worse it hurts.

EmmaWang

Expert Member

Posted April 11, 2009 - 10:22 PM

I am also one month out. I had my first fill on 04/09/09. I had to stay on liquid diet for two days. In these two days, sometimes my lower tummy (also 2 or 3 inches below belly button) felt this combination of pain/bloating. It almost felt like that time of the month. Finally last night, I took some Gas-X. It then got better. I don't know if it were really the gas or something else that just disappeared after a while.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Featured Surgeons

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Topics with No Reply