Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Breastfeeding in public:

Breastfeeding in public: (select all that apply)  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Breastfeeding in public: (select all that apply)

• Should never be done, period.
    • Is fine with modest measures such as a nursing cover or blanket drape to cover her body.
    • Is fine when done out of the public eye, like in a restroom, but should not be done in busy areas.
    • Is only ok in places that aren't very crowded/populated.
    • Is only ok if small children aren't around.
    • Is fine any time and anywhere, it's natural and babies need to eat.

I never have tried to cover up and be modest about it. I don't flash it to all and sundry, but I just as I don't cover my head with a blanket when I eat, I don't expect someone to expect me to throw a blanket over my child when he eats.

I think part of the attitude that says women should be modest stems from society thinking breastfeeding is somehow an issue of modesty, when IMO it isn't. If breastfeeding was more normalised, it wouldn't be considered immodest. There used to be a time when showing one's ankles was considered immodest, but attitudes change, why can't this one?

Anyhow, as they say, if my breastfeeding offends you, you should feel free to throw a blanket over your own head, because let's face it, I'm not the one who has a problem with it.

I tried to breastfeed all mine. But I only managed successfully with my middle one. My daughter. My oldest son I had a very backwards kind of doctor. he didnt do ultrasounds, and didnt have a problem with me gaining almost 100 lbs!! And I found out after my son was born he was TOTALLY against breastfeeding.

Only manged 6 weeks with him. Mainly because I had noone to talk to for advice about it. I ended up putting eldest on the bottle out of pain and frustration.

So when pregnant with my daughter I had access to breastfeeding classes and books and the net. Thank heavens the doc had since retired cause when I learned in the breastfeeding classes that the whole reason I had suffered pain and scaring was simply because my son wasn't getting enough of the nipple in his mouth for it to work right. I would have litterly kicked that doctors ass. Boy was I pissed.

DD nursed just fine for 10 months almost to the day.

I used to sit in the backseat of the car with her so she could nurse without being removed from her carseat!!

Never had any issues feeding her in public but I always used at blanket.

Only problem we had with her was not being able to leave h er with anyone because she REFUSED to take anything even breastmilk from any other source but me. lol.

we tried sippy cups, spoon, bottles of every shape and size, even an eyedropper. All no go. Even if it was me trying to give her breastmilk didnt matter.

At the 10 month mark I take her to her ped and they recommend starting apple juice. And that night was the last time she nursed period!! Once she tried juice she then refused the breast.!!! LOL Much to my dismay. Thank the stars for hot showers and breast pumps!!

Talk about a painfull weaning. But she refused anything but her juice bottles from that point on. Which really caused allot of concern since only juice isnt good for a child. we ended up finding a mix of formula and juice that she would finally tollerate some and was suplimented with liquid Vitamins on top of it all.

youngest I wanted to breastfeed but couldnt since all the complications we had. He and I were seperate hosptials, and got out way before I did. I demanded a breast pump and tried using it. but had little luck. After 2 weeks of struggling with the pump I gave up. Very frustrated.

I was extremly upset to find out (AFTER I got home) That I had M.R.S.A and would have never been allowed to give my son breastmilk anyhow. Had I known this from the begining I wouldnt have spent so much effort in getting results with the pump.

all 3 had issues with ear infections etc as kids, but when it comes to the #'s of colds/ear/sniffles they had it seems to me that the oldest had the most and the youngest the least. However I think much of that also comes down to the fact that you learn enough with each progressive child that you don't tend to react as much as you might have with the first child.

Bah that doesn't sound right. lol hopefully you can get what I mean.

I love to hear other moms talk about how they miss nursing. I do, too! :sad:

It was that thing I could only do for her.....then him.....then a 'her' again. :biggrin: AND.....it was so nice to finally sit down, kick back, relax and just "be". Just be mom and baby. And I love,love,LOVED that 'milk drunk' look they would get just before they passed out from satisfaction.

makes me want to have another........:woot: (with two toddlers at my feet.....) :woot:

ETA: I think I need to permanently leave this thread before I ovulate! ;)

I had to smile when I read that.

It is just one of those things you have to experience to understand. I like it too and am very happy that I will be enjoying this part of motherhood again this summer, lol.

Things like that make me mad, too, Mac. I was a victim of very uninformed doctors and nurses when I had my first child.

I just recently felt like I was a victim as well.

I am pregnant with my second child, but my first was 16 years ago (where I lived breastfeeding just wasn't that popular at the time). I talked to my OB doctor about how I was saddened that I had to give up breastfeeding early because I had mastitis and was told that my milk was not good for the baby. I had really wanted a full year of breast-feeding and was concerned about how things might go with this child.

She then proceeded to tell me that Mastitis was no reason to stop breastfeeding the baby. I could have fed the baby, or at the very least pumped and discarded until I got over the infection. It is a common issue with an easy resolution.

What???? I was told I had to give up breastfeeding by my doctor all those years ago for a minor, insignificant thing??? I now feel like I was misinformed but was too young and naieve to know it at the time (it is not like now where information is so easily accessible on the internet).

Edited by HeatherO

I voted for a light covering. It doesn't necessarily have to be a blanket, a shirt and the babies head are fine, but I really am not comfortable with fully exposed breasts in public. I am all for moderate modesty. It is not so much for fear of offending others, i think it is just tasteful and respectful.

For me this extends beyond just breastfeeding.

I also don't really want to see peoples thongs as they are walking, or braless girls with a see-through shirt, or butt-cracks above sweatpants that say "juicy" like I saw at the mall the other day. There is just something about juicy butt-cracks that give me the shivers, yuccckkkk lol.

I guess I feel the same about people who seriously make-out in public (I don't mean just a kiss or holding hands). I also remember my son once asking me why is Bob so happy on the Extenz commercial - that wasn't a comfortable conversation, lol. Does this have to be for public consumption???

I feel that people should be able to breastfeed anywhere but a little modesty never hurts. Especially when we live in such a diverse world.

I totally support any woman who wants or for that matter needs to breast feed in public. I see nothing wrong with this.

Woman have the right to breastfeed anywhere that you can give a baby a bottle.

I bf in public, but I do try to be modest about it. I'm not one for flaunting. I have had people tell me I can go to the bathroom. You wouldn't eat your dinner sitting on the toilet, so dont tell me to feed my baby in there.

Although, it seems like if you are bf'ing people like to stare. I had one woman just keep staring at me...like I was a freak or something.

I have to agree about loving to bf. I cried when it was over with my first son. It is such a bonding experience. There is nothing better than the milk drunk look they give you while milk is rolling down their chin.

I love the fact that my body made that beautiful child and now it is my body that is going to give them nurishment.

Edited by TracyW2

Yuk! People including babies should not eat in restrooms. That is just not right.

I never have tried to cover up and be modest about it. I don't flash it to all and sundry, but I just as I don't cover my head with a blanket when I eat, I don't expect someone to expect me to throw a blanket over my child when he eats.

I think part of the attitude that says women should be modest stems from society thinking breastfeeding is somehow an issue of modesty, when IMO it isn't. If breastfeeding was more normalised, it wouldn't be considered immodest. There used to be a time when showing one's ankles was considered immodest, but attitudes change, why can't this one?

Anyhow, as they say, if my breastfeeding offends you, you should feel free to throw a blanket over your own head, because let's face it, I'm not the one who has a problem with it.

You seem to have quite a high and mighty attitude about your right to breast feed anywhere, anyway, anyhow. If someone is uncomfortable with your breast being exposed, wouldn't you want to relieve them of their discomfort? You are right when you say that at one time it was offensive to show a womans ankles, and it isn't now. But it still is uncomfortable today for some to witness breastfeeding. So be it. If in your opinion, it isn't a question of modesty, then I guess you will go on making people feel uncomfortable while you feed your child when it could be just as comfortable for you to be discreet. I personally am not uncomfortable witnessing a woman feed her baby, but I can understand why someone might be. Especially a man. The breast is a natural way for babies to get fed, but it's also a ntural way for a man to get turned on. Let's say that a man feels it is normal to pick his nose,(whether you think it's normal or not) and if everyone did it in public, it would become less offensive. Should he pick his nose? Who cares if it might offend some? It's normal to him.

In all things, we should try to think of the other person. Your baby won't be offended if he gets fed under wraps.

High and mighty? Sheesh. How will breastfeeding ever become so normalised as to not even warrant thread like this if overly moralistic views like yours Patty keep being expressed.

Once upon a time someone showing their ankles would have set someone like you off. But if women didnt say "who cares what you think, I'm comfortble showing my ankles" that never would have become entirely normal. Always being aware of the feelings of dinosaurs who have issues with the normal function of a breast is a great way to KEEP women (and breastfeeding) in the dark.

If you dont like it, dont look, simple as that.

It is a woman's RIGHT to breastfeed anywhere - sometimes you need to be judicious about it, but generally in those places you wouldnt take children anyhow. But feed my baby in a shopping centre or coffee shop? That is a woman's RIGHT. Absolutely.

The stupid thing about this entire conversation is that people are so militant bout feeding babies. There's a zillion women about who would say they feel uncomfortable bottle feeding their babies in public because they feel scrutinized and even attacked by the breast is best brigade. Its nobody's business but your own how, when or where you feed a child that needs to be fed.

Edited by Jachut

I said she sounded high and mighty because of her saying "you're the one who has a problem with it, so you go throw a blanket over your head."

Breast feeding is already 'normalized'. Everyone accepts it as a way to feed your baby. It's the 'revealing' of the breast, which is a sexual part of the womans body, that is not 'normal'. Why can't women be discreet about showing their boob while they breastfeed? Is that too much to ask?

Any man that would lust after a breast feeding woman's boob is just plain sick. Look at that side of the issue, Patty.

I'm not saying that men lusting after a breast feeding breast is ok, I'm just saying why put it out there. The fact is, that men like to look at boobs. It's just the way it is. They are turned on by boobs, so why would any mom want to expose them, even if they are breast feeding? Let's look at that side of the issue.

Brought up breastfeeding issue with DH and 28 yr old DS at dinner this evening. Asked their opinion. Both said that they do not have an issue with a woman breastfeeding in public. But, both said that their reaction to mother breastfeeding would be to turn away out of respect for mother and baby. I believe that's a "normal" man's reaction.

Most men don't have an issue with women breastfeeding in public, and would turn their head. But if moms were discreet, they could stand there and chat and not have to turn their head and be uncomfortable. Some woman just want to do what they feel is their 'right' to do and don't care how it might affect others around them. They have a 'too bad for you' attitude. 'If you don't like it, don't look' attitude. 'I have my rights' attitude. Sheesh! Just be discreet why don't ya?!