Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

Breastfeeding in public:

Views
Started by Wheetsin, Oct 17, 2008 1:09 AM
96 replies to this topic
96 replies to this topic

Poll: Breastfeeding in public: (select all that apply) (25 member(s) have cast votes)

Breastfeeding in public: (select all that apply)

1. Should never be done, period. (6 votes [2.56%])

Percentage of vote: 2.56%

2. Is fine with modest measures such as a nursing cover or blanket drape to cover her body. (107 votes [45.73%])

Percentage of vote: 45.73%

3. Is fine when done out of the public eye, like in a restroom, but should not be done in busy areas. (22 votes [9.40%])

Percentage of vote: 9.40%

4. Is only ok in places that aren't very crowded/populated. (3 votes [1.28%])

Percentage of vote: 1.28%

5. Is only ok if small children aren't around. (1 votes [0.43%])

Percentage of vote: 0.43%

6. Is fine any time and anywhere, it's natural and babies need to eat. (95 votes [40.60%])

Percentage of vote: 40.60%

Vote Guests cannot vote

Minxz

Junior Guru

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
  • Surgeon: Robert Li
  • Surgery Date: May 2009
  • Height: 5 feet 10 inches
  • Starting Weight: 303
  • Weight Lost: 55
  • Current Weight: 248
  • Goal Weight: 160
  • BMI: 35.6
  • My Blogs
Posted October 17, 2008 - 3:09 PM

I voted anywhere any time. I think a blanket or shawl is preferable but if its super warm or the baby doesn't like it then so be it. I really find it appalling so many people are offended by such a natural thing.

MacMadame

Bariatric Legend

• Surgeon: Paul Cirangle
  • Surgery Date: Sep 2008
  • Height: 5 feet 1 inches
  • Starting Weight: 223
  • Weight Lost: 110
  • Current Weight: 113
  • Goal Weight: 115
  • BMI: 21.3
  • My Blogs
Posted October 17, 2008 - 4:01 PM

FDo you REALLY need to feed your baby in parliament? What do you THINK is going to happen?

The baby won't be bawling from hunger? :smile:

My vote is for modesty as possible without compromising the needs of either mother or child.

Me too. That wasn't one of the choices though so I picked two the kind of covered that.

I love to hear other moms talk about how they miss nursing. I do, too! :frown:

Not me. I loved nursing but my youngest wanted to do it way longer than I did. I think the last two years I was just gritting my teeth trying to encourage her to wean without turning it into a big battle that would have ruined the entire experience for her.

JaimeSTL

Banded on 2.28.08

• Surgeon: Darin Minkin
  • Surgery Date: Feb 2008
  • Height: 5 feet 6 inches
  • Starting Weight: 350
  • Weight Lost: 88
  • Current Weight: 262
  • Goal Weight: 175
  • BMI: 42.3
Posted October 17, 2008 - 4:09 PM

Not me. I loved nursing but my youngest wanted to do it way longer than I did. I think the last two years I was just gritting my teeth trying to encourage her to wean without turning it into a big battle that would have ruined the entire experience for her.

I had a few people tell me that me that they missed nursing after their baby/toddler weaned. Not me. I was ready to throw a freaking party when she finally weaned herself. I was ready to be done a good year or so before she was.

Jachut

Banded Down Under

Posted October 18, 2008 - 2:01 AM

Oh, well I did the *right* thing and breastfed all of mine for two entire years each and we still got asthma, eczema and the fat gene in our oldest son and chronic nasal congestion/sinus problems, snoring and sleep apnoea in our second son. We seem to have gotten it right with Eliza.

I'm glad I did it, it was wonderful. And have you SEEN the cost of formula these days?

I was glad to stop each time though.

newhope4me

Junior Guru

• Surgery Date: Mar 2008
  • Height: 5 feet 2 inches
  • Starting Weight: 205 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 56 lbs
  • Current Weight: 149 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 120 lbs
  • BMI: 27.2
Posted October 18, 2008 - 2:10 AM

O, and the little sounds they make while nursing, those are my favorite sounds in the world, i so miss that!

I nursed all three of mine. Only the first one ever had a bottle, and only because i was only 18 and modest so i would make a bottle for him when we went any where. I had issues with pumping, so it was formula, which is nasty! It stains everything and stinks so bad and he would always spit it up. I weaned him when I found out I was pregnant with his brother. A year later when his brother came along, i was an old hand, no more bottles, heck, grandma tried to get him to take one once in a while, but the boy gagged on every nipple on the market, mom's was the only one he wanted. I was still modest and covered up with a receiving blanket or if the shirt was big enough, with that.

My worst nursing experience was when I was nursing my daughter, she was 16 monts old and i had to go to the ER due to gallstones. I had been going at least once every month or 2 since shortly after her birth (no insurance at the time) and they would give me something for the pain, then send me home. But this time, a different doctor, I told him i was nursing and wanted something non-narcotic, he asked how old the baby was. When I told him, he informed me she was too old to be nursing and gave me something narcotic. I was livid! I couldn't believe a Doctor of all people had said that and gone against my request. That's when I weaned her. I was so pissed over that.

Personally I believe babies should be nursed, if at all possible for at least the first 2 years. My kids are healthy, smart and we are very close. Can you believe I once had someone ask me, "Isn't that a hassle?" No, a hassle is formula and warming it and cleaning bottles, etc. So easy just to whip out a boob and let them latch on.

JaimeSTL

Banded on 2.28.08

• Surgeon: Darin Minkin
  • Surgery Date: Feb 2008
  • Height: 5 feet 6 inches
  • Starting Weight: 350
  • Weight Lost: 88
  • Current Weight: 262
  • Goal Weight: 175
  • BMI: 42.3
Posted October 18, 2008 - 12:08 PM

Oh, well I did the *right* thing and breastfed all of mine for two entire years each and we still got asthma, eczema and the fat gene in our oldest son and chronic nasal congestion/sinus problems, snoring and sleep apnoea in our second son. We seem to have gotten it right with Eliza.

I'm glad I did it, it was wonderful. And have you SEEN the cost of formula these days?

I was glad to stop each time though.

My daughter was breastfed until 3 1/2, never had an ear infection, rarely sick, etc., in that time. Then she weaned, and within a year and a half, she'd had over a dozen ear infections, sick all the time, had to have tubes put in her ears.

The thing is, what they won't say, breastfeeding doesn't prevent illness, allergies, obesity, and all that. Formula increases the risk. Breastfeeding just leaves the child at the biological norm for them. If your children (and other breastfed children) have asthma, sleep apnea, etc., they would be worse off and sicker if they'd been formula fed. However, everybody wants to say things like "breastfeeding reduces the risks of _____" when it should be "formula increases the risks of _____."

MacMadame

Bariatric Legend

• Surgeon: Paul Cirangle
  • Surgery Date: Sep 2008
  • Height: 5 feet 1 inches
  • Starting Weight: 223
  • Weight Lost: 110
  • Current Weight: 113
  • Goal Weight: 115
  • BMI: 21.3
  • My Blogs
Posted October 18, 2008 - 1:00 PM

I'm not saying how long I nursed Mini-Mac for. :tongue_smilie:

I only did MacBoy for 4 months because I had trouble pumping at work (they didn't have good pumps readily available at Toys R Us back then and I got bad advice from a Lactation consultant and didn't rent an industrial strength one). I'd definitely say formula is more hassle than breastfeeding based on my experiences.

thatDEgirl

Little Miss Sunshine..NOT

• Surgery Date: Jul 2008
  • Height: 5 feet 3 inches
  • Starting Weight: 232 lbs
  • Weight Lost: -1292 lbs
  • Current Weight: 1524 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 140 lbs
  • BMI: 269.9
Posted October 18, 2008 - 8:38 PM

I believe it is a detriment to the child when a mother doesn't nurse.

Well then, I guess I ruined my child:crying:.

I have no issues with nursing, I wanted to but physically did not produce enough milk. That being said, my child is rarely ever sick (not even once a year) and is intellectually gifted. So, should I feel bad about not nursing?!

tomatogirl

Ready to be Extrordinary

Posted October 18, 2008 - 8:43 PM

Well then, I guess I ruined my child:crying:.

I have no issues with nursing, I wanted to but physically did not produce enough milk. That being said, my child is rarely ever sick (not even once a year) and is intellectually gifted. So, should I feel bad about not nursing?!

Not any more than I should. I'm lacking glandular tissue in both breasts and had to supplement with formula- my son is perfectly healthy and happy. I would have preferred to exclusively breastfeed, but life doesn't always work out the way we've planned. I hate when people say things like that. We all know breastfeeding is best, to make others feel bad for choices does nothing for the cause. When you know better, you do better.

Wheetsin

Token Atheist

• Surgery Date: Mar 2012
  • Height: 5 feet 10 inches
  • Current Weight: 208 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 175 lbs
  • BMI: 29.8
  • My Blogs
Posted October 18, 2008 - 9:25 PM

I plan to feed breastmilk for at least 6 months, hopefully a year if it will last, but I will not breastfeed that entire time. I will need to have a bottle introduced fairly quickly. The health, developmental, etc. benefits are linked to the breast milk, not the breast feeding. Of course, breastfeedung brings its own benefits, I'm sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Featured Surgeons

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      Oct 22
    LilMsDiva Irene Rny

There will be some people whose jealousy will be apparent even though they tr...

Show comments (4)
View All Updates