Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Breastfeeding in public:

Breastfeeding in public: (select all that apply)  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Breastfeeding in public: (select all that apply)

• Should never be done, period.
    • Is fine with modest measures such as a nursing cover or blanket drape to cover her body.
    • Is fine when done out of the public eye, like in a restroom, but should not be done in busy areas.
    • Is only ok in places that aren't very crowded/populated.
    • Is only ok if small children aren't around.
    • Is fine any time and anywhere, it's natural and babies need to eat.

I also don't agree with young women wearing see through tops with NO undergarments, in public either. (In the mall, hanging for all to see through her gauzy top. DH and I about fell over! And we're not really prudes!) I don't need to see others' body parts or their intimate moments in public either. I'm pretty old-fashioned in my beliefs, I guess.

LOL! I don't want to see it either, but most especially I don't want my husband to see it! Thankfully, I have a husband who will avert his eyes. I don't think it's old-fashioned at all. I think it's respectful, even if the woman's actions don't warrant said respect.

When I breastfed my daughter 15 years ago, I'd always seek out a mom's lounge, like they have at Nordstrom or May Co. She never seemed to be a fussy baby that needed to be fed Right! Now! so I had time to find refuge. Strangely, the most criticism I found about breastfeeding was in women in their 60s and older. One woman said she thought it was "barbaric."

Strangely, the most criticism I found about breastfeeding was in women in their 60s and older. One woman said she thought it was "barbaric."

Isn't that amazing? My mother was one of those, too. Couldn't believe I wanted to breastfeed. One time I asked *her* mother (my grandmother) how she, my mom, was fed -- my grandmother replied, "breastfed, of course!" I don't think my mom ever knew that, and she was a bit shocked.

I absolutely loved nursing, and I miss it. My cousin, who is a product of my mom's sister and with the same opinion about breastfeeding as the previous generation, didn't nurse at all. She said it was like being a cow (of course, never having done it). I told her she was missing out but she didn't believe me. I believe it is a detriment to the child when a mother doesn't nurse.

I agree, gadgetlady! My daughter has barely even had colds her entire life. Alarmingly healthy.

I absolutely loved nursing, and I miss it. My cousin, who is a product of my mom's sister and with the same opinion about breastfeeding as the previous generation, didn't nurse at all. She said it was like being a cow (of course, never having done it). I told her she was missing out but she didn't believe me. I believe it is a detriment to the child when a mother doesn't nurse.

I love to hear other moms talk about how they miss nursing. I do, too! :cool2:

It was that thing I could only do for her.....then him.....then a 'her' again. :smile: AND.....it was so nice to finally sit down, kick back, relax and just "be". Just be mom and baby. And I love,love,LOVED that 'milk drunk' look they would get just before they passed out from satisfaction.

makes me want to have another........:w00t: (with two toddlers at my feet.....) :tt2:

ETA: I think I need to permanently leave this thread before I ovulate! :frown:

Edited by cyndiloowho
family planning

I voted anywhere any time. I think a blanket or shawl is preferable but if its super warm or the baby doesn't like it then so be it. I really find it appalling so many people are offended by such a natural thing.

FDo you REALLY need to feed your baby in parliament? What do you THINK is going to happen?

The baby won't be bawling from hunger? :smile:

My vote is for modesty as possible without compromising the needs of either mother or child.

Me too. That wasn't one of the choices though so I picked two the kind of covered that.

I love to hear other moms talk about how they miss nursing. I do, too! :frown:

Not me. I loved nursing but my youngest wanted to do it way longer than I did. I think the last two years I was just gritting my teeth trying to encourage her to wean without turning it into a big battle that would have ruined the entire experience for her.

Not me. I loved nursing but my youngest wanted to do it way longer than I did. I think the last two years I was just gritting my teeth trying to encourage her to wean without turning it into a big battle that would have ruined the entire experience for her.

I had a few people tell me that me that they missed nursing after their baby/toddler weaned. Not me. I was ready to throw a freaking party when she finally weaned herself. I was ready to be done a good year or so before she was.

Oh, well I did the *right* thing and breastfed all of mine for two entire years each and we still got asthma, eczema and the fat gene in our oldest son and chronic nasal congestion/sinus problems, snoring and sleep apnoea in our second son. We seem to have gotten it right with Eliza.

I'm glad I did it, it was wonderful. And have you SEEN the cost of formula these days?

I was glad to stop each time though.

O, and the little sounds they make while nursing, those are my favorite sounds in the world, i so miss that!

I nursed all three of mine. Only the first one ever had a bottle, and only because i was only 18 and modest so i would make a bottle for him when we went any where. I had issues with pumping, so it was formula, which is nasty! It stains everything and stinks so bad and he would always spit it up. I weaned him when I found out I was pregnant with his brother. A year later when his brother came along, i was an old hand, no more bottles, heck, grandma tried to get him to take one once in a while, but the boy gagged on every nipple on the market, mom's was the only one he wanted. I was still modest and covered up with a receiving blanket or if the shirt was big enough, with that.

My worst nursing experience was when I was nursing my daughter, she was 16 monts old and i had to go to the ER due to gallstones. I had been going at least once every month or 2 since shortly after her birth (no insurance at the time) and they would give me something for the pain, then send me home. But this time, a different doctor, I told him i was nursing and wanted something non-narcotic, he asked how old the baby was. When I told him, he informed me she was too old to be nursing and gave me something narcotic. I was livid! I couldn't believe a Doctor of all people had said that and gone against my request. That's when I weaned her. I was so pissed over that.

Personally I believe babies should be nursed, if at all possible for at least the first 2 years. My kids are healthy, smart and we are very close. Can you believe I once had someone ask me, "Isn't that a hassle?" No, a hassle is formula and warming it and cleaning bottles, etc. So easy just to whip out a boob and let them latch on.

Oh, well I did the *right* thing and breastfed all of mine for two entire years each and we still got asthma, eczema and the fat gene in our oldest son and chronic nasal congestion/sinus problems, snoring and sleep apnoea in our second son. We seem to have gotten it right with Eliza.

I'm glad I did it, it was wonderful. And have you SEEN the cost of formula these days?

I was glad to stop each time though.

My daughter was breastfed until 3 1/2, never had an ear infection, rarely sick, etc., in that time. Then she weaned, and within a year and a half, she'd had over a dozen ear infections, sick all the time, had to have tubes put in her ears.

The thing is, what they won't say, breastfeeding doesn't prevent illness, allergies, obesity, and all that. Formula increases the risk. Breastfeeding just leaves the child at the biological norm for them. If your children (and other breastfed children) have asthma, sleep apnea, etc., they would be worse off and sicker if they'd been formula fed. However, everybody wants to say things like "breastfeeding reduces the risks of _____" when it should be "formula increases the risks of _____."

I'm not saying how long I nursed Mini-Mac for. :tongue_smilie:

I only did MacBoy for 4 months because I had trouble pumping at work (they didn't have good pumps readily available at Toys R Us back then and I got bad advice from a Lactation consultant and didn't rent an industrial strength one). I'd definitely say formula is more hassle than breastfeeding based on my experiences.

I believe it is a detriment to the child when a mother doesn't nurse.

Well then, I guess I ruined my child:crying:.

I have no issues with nursing, I wanted to but physically did not produce enough milk. That being said, my child is rarely ever sick (not even once a year) and is intellectually gifted. So, should I feel bad about not nursing?!

Well then, I guess I ruined my child:crying:.

I have no issues with nursing, I wanted to but physically did not produce enough milk. That being said, my child is rarely ever sick (not even once a year) and is intellectually gifted. So, should I feel bad about not nursing?!

Not any more than I should. I'm lacking glandular tissue in both breasts and had to supplement with formula- my son is perfectly healthy and happy. I would have preferred to exclusively breastfeed, but life doesn't always work out the way we've planned. I hate when people say things like that. We all know breastfeeding is best, to make others feel bad for choices does nothing for the cause. When you know better, you do better.

I plan to feed breastmilk for at least 6 months, hopefully a year if it will last, but I will not breastfeed that entire time. I will need to have a bottle introduced fairly quickly. The health, developmental, etc. benefits are linked to the breast milk, not the breast feeding. Of course, breastfeedung brings its own benefits, I'm sure.