Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recovery Time..after Lap Band Removal?

I am scheduled to have my band removed on Tuesday. I was wondering what the recovery time should be. I am hoping to be back at work on Friday or Saturday.

I don't want to use too much time because I am suppose to be able to have another band place in 4-6 weeks.

Any info would be great!!

seppi,

I had mine out on Friday and I can say that the pain is not as bad as it was getting the lap band, same amount of incisions and they removed the port also but I'm still very tired and your body needs that recovery time. What did your surgeon suggest? I would think it's very individual when it comes to recovery time and work. The type of work you do could affect when you return also. Sometimes sitting for long periods bothers me and I feel like I need to lie down. My guess is that you will feel worse after getting your second band than having the first removed. Good luck to you and ask your doctor what they suggest for taking off work. Take care, Nancy.:tongue2:

Nancy, thank you and I hope you are right. I did really well after having the band put in, only missed a few days of work. I am starting to get really anxious about this. I am praying that the removal goes as smoothly as the placement went 3 years ago. I will check with the doctor when I see him.

I had my band removed last Friday. The incision area to remove the port continues to be achy & very uncomfortable. What was your recovery time?

sandy b

I think the port area takes the longest to heal but honestly it wasn't that long for me. I think because I could take better pain meds after removal. But I did think it would be worse than it was. So recovery time was fast but still waited for lifting heavy objects until I got the surgeon's ok. Good luck and health to you Nancy.

I had a geat recovery, a little sore for the 1st 24 hours. I was back at work in 3 days. I think that the area around the port took the longest. Had to be a little careful.

I getting my new band this coming week and am hoping for a fast recovery again. I hope you are feeling better. I also fond that a heating pad helped with the ache. Good luck.

I'm having my band removed this week - when will I feel like my old self again? Ability to eat normal foods?

Sue,

Per my doctor's orders I was on liquids the first day and then could eat normally again after that. Just told not to go crazy. I didn't revise at the time and had no complications either. Good luck to you, Nancy.

I Just got my band a week ago. I've always thought I want it out eventually. I hear some of you say that your getting it taken out then put back in. What is the reason for that? Have any of you had the band out and kept it out and how did that work? Did gain your weight back? Were you hungrier? I'm having a really hard time. Mentally mostly. Will I feel like myself again. Will stuff go back to normal? I feel like I can't even swallow Water without my chest hurting.

I'm having my lap band removed on Thursday. Did you have any problems after, do you have to follow a special diet? Thanks for any input.

seppi,

I had mine out on Friday and I can say that the pain is not as bad as it was getting the lap band, same amount of incisions and they removed the port also but I'm still very tired and your body needs that recovery time. What did your surgeon suggest? I would think it's very individual when it comes to recovery time and work. The type of work you do could affect when you return also. Sometimes sitting for long periods bothers me and I feel like I need to lie down. My guess is that you will feel worse after getting your second band than having the first removed. Good luck to you and ask your doctor what they suggest for taking off work. Take care, Nancy.:tongue2:

I have to get my lapband out. I have had it for almost 5years. I was sick the entire time. I ate a lot of foods that would slide down. So I would not throw up. I started gaining my weight back almost 2 yrs after. My thryroid went out and they blaimed it on that. I was healthy other than being big. Now, I have low Iron, thryoid diease, and twitching. I would never get this done again..I stopped going to get filled in 2007. Because I got to full. Now I have no Fluid. I belch all the time....

I have to get my lapband out. I have had it for almost 5years. I was sick the entire time. I ate a lot of foods that would slide down. So I would not throw up. I started gaining my weight back almost 2 yrs after. My thryroid went out and they blaimed it on that. I was healthy other than being big. Now, I have low Iron, thryoid diease, and twitching. I would never get this done again..I stopped going to get filled in 2007. Because I got to full. Now I have no Fluid. I belch all the time....

Why does your doctor suspect the thyroid problems are connected with the lapband? Reason being I am having alot of health issues too and have start looking into how to get this removed? Will my inusrance pay for it to be removed?

I'm having my lap band removed on Thursday. Did you have any problems after, do you have to follow a special diet? Thanks for any input.

Everything went well. I can say the worse part is my stomach muscle felt sore as far as trying to sleep. Very hard to turn over or sit up from a laying postion. But I managed and am doing just fine. Can eat anything no food issues. Now I just have to watch it so I don't keep adding the pounds on.