Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Esophageal Spasm or Milk Allergy???

So yesterday AM, as is my normal, I get my glass of milk and all of my supplements ready to go. I don't even get a 1/3 of my milk down when my throat starts closing up! WTH??? Of course I stop immediately but it's not going away anytime soon. It took probably an hour before it settled down and I could then drink my plum juice. I tossed the milk down the drain.

I've been banded 5 weeks and this hasn't happened before. My throat has felt funny before this, both before and after surgery but it's never done it to this extent. If I drink a lot of milk, my throat will also feel funny and I'll get a little heartburn (which also happened yesterday AM).

I did drink my plum juice this AM pretty cold b/c I wanted to see if it would do it again. My throat again felt funny but it didn't start to close up like yesterday. The only difference yesterday was that I added ice cubes to my milk b/c it just wasn't cold enough for me. Usually I don't add the ice.

Other dairy does not do this too me! It's only happened with milk and maybe too much ice cream. Hmmm, I think I'm seeing a theme here. I can't drink warm milk. It has to be very cold.

If it's not an allergy, are the spasms more prevalent in the AM?

Can you tell me about your experiences with spasms?

I see my surgeon on the 7th so I'll definitely be talking to him about this but wanted some of your opinions. Thanks.

Edited by heartfire
Ugh! Mistakes!

I would call your doctor and ask? If it IS an allergy, you dont want to keep exposing yourself to it, that will only, make it worse. Did you have any trouble breathing??

I assume your supplements are pills? ? Pills generally do not go thru the band unless they are tiny. Your doctor should have gone over this with you. It sounds to me like your pills got stuck and especially with cold drinks this is likely to happen. You may still have a little irritation from yesterday's "stuck" episode.

Actually, they're not pills (I do know better). And I never got that far. Had to take my supplements later (all liquids or chewables). I hadn't had anything but the ice cold milk.

The reason I'm asking what a spasm feels like is because this was so sudden and the milk was really cold and I don't have a problem with other dairy. I ATE other dairy yesterday. Nothing. Just the ice cold milk.

Again, I'll talk to my surgeon on Tuesday. I had just wanted to know what other's experiences were with spasms and what they felt like. Thanks!

well I dont know if feeling stuck and spasms are the same thing but when I get that feeling, it feels like I have swollowed a softball. My esophogas feels like it could blow up.