Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

rash around incision sites??

I have a question, has anyone else had a rash around their incision sites? I am a month post op and my incision sites started itching like crazy the last 2 weeks or so. Everyone keeps telling me that they are healing, but they have BEEN healed. I noticed this morning that there is a rash completely around each incision. Has anyone else had this happen to them? If so, what is it and how can I get rid of it?

I have a reaction to the tape they use...even paper tape (for sensitive skin) as my husband says, it's the adhesive that causes it and they all use the same adhesive. Did you have tape around your sites, or just those steri strips? Try a little hydrocortisone cream and see if that helps. I'd just use it in one spot first to try it. If it doesn't respond to the cream, call you surgeon.

I have a reaction to the tape they use...even paper tape (for sensitive skin) as my husband says, it's the adhesive that causes it and they all use the same adhesive. Did you have tape around your sites, or just those steri strips? Try a little hydrocortisone cream and see if that helps. I'd just use it in one spot first to try it. If it doesn't respond to the cream, call you surgeon.

Thanks for your feedback. The only thing is, is that if it were from the tape wouldn't it have irritated sooner? I have had the tape off for almost a month now and it just started happening. :thumbup:

see my tape had to stay on a bit longer and the itching started like a week or two afterward. I think you should call your surgeon and see. Itching can be a sign of healing, but if you have a RASH, (and you didn't cause the rash by scratching!) then you are probably having some localized allergic reaction to something in the wound sites...like the suture material used, or some such. Best to call and find out what they want you to do.

Sounds like it could be amild staff infection which is not all that uncommon. Do you have any other symptoms like redness, warm to touch, or a temp. I would probably call my doc. You may very likely need an antibioic. Good look to you.

I have had a flat rash around my upper torso since 2 days post band. When I get hot it itches like crazy. I just have the steristrips on now. I do have a reaction to the nylon tape they use. I thought it might be from my pain med...I am 8 days banded. I use hydrocortisone cream when it gets bad. I would definitely call the doctor because this should not still be there after a month! Good luck.

I had the rash, it was an unknown allergy to latex. My PCP gave me Olux-E, a foam emollient, in a can like mousse for your hair, and it worked after a day or two.

I had a rash around my incisions for quite awhile and boy did it itch. I used triple antibiotic cream on them and it cleared it up right away. Sometimes a little skin infection develops, it's not anything to be concerned about. Just use the triple antibiotic cream and you should be ok.

thanks for all of your feedback, I will call my doc tomorrow morning.

I got banded one month ago and I have the exact same problem. I have some type of rash around the largest incision site and it is red all around it. The incision is healing and is completely shut but it is really red around it. The nurses I work with tell me it looks like a rash and not an infection. It is not hot. I tried cortisone cream and it worked overnight but later the next day, it was back.

I think the problem is that my desk at work is at the same height as the incision and I think I bump it all day long and irritate it. Regardless, I'm seeing the doctor this week anyway.

I have the same problem when I am charting at a computer, I notice I too bump my incision allot, it not red or anything, so i would keep an eye on it

Veronica

I went to see the doctor about the rash and it is an infection under the skin. He put me on antibiotics and it is now getting better.

I have a rash on my upper torso too - 8 days post op. But mine is spreading to my neck and face as well. I have to go to my GP today to see what can be done. My surgeon has no idea what it is from.