Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

throat clearing and mucus

I have been having a lot of mucus in my throat and throat clearing during and after meals lately. Do you think this could be related to my band? I know it's not too tight, in fact, if anything, its not quite tight enough right now. Have an appt for October 3rd but was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

I haven't had any fill yet and I too have odd mucus in my throat and mouth all the time. I am just moving to pureed foods so it doesn't appear to be related to the food I have been eating. I also have this weird taste in my mouth, but I read somewhere that is from ketosis. I am going to ask my doctor about it at my first post op appt on Oct. 6.

I have alot of mucus in my throat. I have allergies pretty bad and my band has not helped that. I had to get a pretty heavy duty allergy medicine to help it and now I am doing fine. Good luck!

I have alot of mucus in my throat. I have allergies pretty bad and my band has not helped that. I had to get a pretty heavy duty allergy medicine to help it and now I am doing fine. Good luck!

What is your heavy duty medicine? I have serious allergy and sinus issues but none of my medicines help.

What is your heavy duty medicine? I have serious allergy and sinus issues but none of my medicines help.

It is a combo of Allegra D plus Bendryl taken at night. NOTHING worked for me before tried it all. So they doubled me up! Happy now. I have noticed some foods make it worse for me though, weird.

I have high blood pressure so I can't take anything with a decongestant in it. I have been taking Xyzal or zyrtec (not together) but they haven't really helped much. The weird thing is, I don't have any nasal issues (running or stuffiness)...it's just mucus in my throat and back of nasal cavity where it leads into the throat.

I am jealous. I can't take the Allegra D, because I can't get pills down, and you can't crush the Allegra D. I loved taking the Allegra D before the surgery.

Now I have to take a mix of Claritin melt in your mouth pills, and crushing sinus pills every 4 hours.

Now, with the mucus in the throat, I get that when I ignore the full stomach feeling and take that one extra bite. Suddenly get the mucus going and I know to stop right then and there. If its still in there 15 minutes later, I spit it out.

To me this is the worst part of the band, it has caused my sinus and allegeries to sort of back up on me or run like a waterfall, which I don't understand why would the band affect my sinus and allegeries. I still cannot find anything to stop it and I have tried everything. The one sinus medicine that I was taking helped a lot, but guess what they quit making it because it was an older medicine and not many people were taking it any more. But I do know I cannot drink when I eat and I have to eat so slowly that even with the little amount I eat, regular eating people sometimes finish before I do. It absolutely drives me nuts.

I really think that the mucus fills up the pouch and then when you eat or drink the pouch is full and you are on a merry go round.

Navywife