Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

coughing at night and acidy vomit

Views
Started by Ruth, Aug 25, 2008 11:21 AM
14 replies to this topic
14 replies to this topic

Ruth

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
Posted August 25, 2008 - 11:21 AM

I was banded on October 22nd 2007, and until recently I had no complaints.

I started coughing excessively at night, also vomiting liquids with a very bitter taste.

Is this normal?

Gone4Now

Bariatric Master

• My Blogs
Posted August 25, 2008 - 11:28 AM

Have you ever had issues w/gall bladder? Do you have any pain associated w/this?

I was told vomiting at all was BAD, so get a doc appt in ASAP.

:rolleyes: Good luck to you.

areellady

Overweight Cycling Babe

• My Blogs
Posted August 25, 2008 - 11:32 AM

Definitely not normal. I had the same thing happen in April of 08. I was too tight. This can also be a sign of a slip though. Contact your doctor. They will probably take some fill out and let it heal. It is just getting irritated and will continue to get irritated and won't have a chance to heal properly.

IM_LORI

Banded 10-19

Posted August 25, 2008 - 11:49 AM

NOT normal. What you are experiencing is acid reflux, a common problem with the lap band. I suffered from this severely for months to the point where I had esophageal strictures from scarring and had to have my esophagus dilated back open. It had developed so much scar tissue from the acid, it was narrowed, and nearly nothing would pass through. Often times it happens from being overly full. A light unfill will help. Overeating before bedtime or drinking a lot before bedtime will also cause this. Try not eating 2 hours before bed, get a small de-fill if this just started after a recent fill, sleeping with your head elevated helps, (not a long term solution) the newer PPI Proton Pump Inhibitors like Nexium, Protonix, Aciphex, Prilosec help reduce stomach acid production so that if the acid does come up, it is lower acidic PH and it's not as irritating. Talk to your surgeon, a gastroenterologist, etc,,,,, it's a very common problem, but from experience, can also have significant long term consequences if not dealt with.

I was banded on October 22nd 2007, and until recently I had no complaints.

I started coughing excessively at night, also vomiting liquids with a very bitter taste.

Is this normal?

4RE4ME

• Surgery: Gastric Sleeve
  • Surgery Date: Mar 2010
  • Height: 5 feet 11 inches
  • Weight Lost: 88 lbs
  • BMI: 34.2
Posted August 25, 2008 - 12:47 PM

Lori is right on the money with her response. I had the same problem after having the perfect fill. They took a little out and instant cure for me. We are sloley adding fluid back in after allowing the irritation to heal for a few months. I'm guessing you are having a hard time keeping food down also??

tmfritts

Terri

• Surgeon: Mark Paya
  • Height: 5 feet 3 inches
  • Starting Weight: 222
  • Weight Lost: 82
  • Current Weight: 140
  • Goal Weight: 130
  • BMI: 24.8
Posted August 25, 2008 - 1:35 PM

Hi! I have not had this problem, but heard that it could possibly be because you have too much of a fill.

Good luck! I would also call your doctor and get his/her opinion!

Terri

Ruth

Posted August 25, 2008 - 4:51 PM

Thank you so much all of you for your helpful replies. Yes, it is true that I don't keep a lot of food down, I do best eating just soups etc.

However, I had my last fill about 5 month ago, and this problem only started a few weeks ago.

I will call my doctor for an appointment, I'm just afraid do de-fill, I can't afford to gain anything back!!!

I am so thrilled with my weightloss, I never want to gain weight again!!

Can anyone relate to this?

AmIDoneYet

Novice

Posted August 25, 2008 - 9:44 PM

I had this problem after a fill in July. I had a beach trip planned and was freaking that if I took the unfill I'd gain some weight back so I dealt with the reflux until it got unbearable - then had to take .4 ccs out. In the end it didnt matter, I still lost weight. I totally understand the fear but you have to trust in yourself. The band is a great tool and it teaches all of us how to eat and when we should stop. But its still just a tool - it cant do it alone. Trust in your judgment and allow it to work without hurting yourself.

HeatherO

Bariatric Hero

Posted August 26, 2008 - 9:54 AM

I have had occasional bouts of it as well lately and am thinking about a slight unfill. Not eating late or drinking late have a definite impact on it. I think I have to accept the fact that after being a bandster, I really should never ingest anything directly before bed.

babs0101

Bariatric Guru

Posted August 26, 2008 - 2:41 PM

I too suffer from this. I had a bit of an unfill done, and an upper GI. No slip thank God. But I still get acid. Not nightly like it was, but I do get it. I go back next week (it's been a few weeks now) to get my fill put back in, but only part of it. I'm eating way too much food and almost anything I want. That is so not good for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Featured Surgeons

Recent Status Updates

• Photo
      Sep 14
    tpinto

Hey guess what? I have been approved! Yea! However, I have also been...

Show comments (1)
View All Updates

Topics with No Reply