Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should LapBandTalk have forums for OTHER Weight Loss Surgeries?

Should LapBandTalk have forums for OTHER Weight Loss Surgeries?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Should LapBandTalk have forums for OTHER Weight Loss Surgeries?

• Yes
    • No

Well, we have a pretty active, good group of moderators here at LBT. I would hope that between the group of us, we would not permit it to become anything like OH.

Hey, if this place can have a board so that ladies can discuss masturbation in excruciating detail, it can support alternative WLS.

I'm on my mobile, so I couldn't quote Froggi's now deleted post stating that the masturbation thread was deleted so the other forums should be deleted too...

I didn't say that...exactly. I said since he thinks the masturbation thread was able to be here than these should be here too well I said the other one was deleted so in his own words with what he said about it...those could be deleted too.

I know it won't happen and don't switch my words around. I know what I said.

I started the other WLS forums since over the years I was approached by quite a few bandsters that for one reason or another had no choice but to remove their band and went under the knife for another WLS. They loved LBT's format and asked me if I could create a special place for them since they were former bandsters. I held off for quite some time since I want to make sure that LBT is very targeted and I don't want to branch off into other subjects and ruin what we have going over here. I decided to give it a shot recently and we'll see how it works out. We're better off having a special place on LBT for these other WLS discussions. This way the posts don't get mixed into the regular forums and members can choose to read them - or not. Just me 2 cents.

I started the other WLS forums since over the years I was approached by quite a few bandsters that for one reason or another had no choice but to remove their band and went under the knife for another WLS. They loved LBT's format and asked me if I could create a special place for them since they were former bandsters. I held off for quite some time since I want to make sure that LBT is very targeted and I don't want to branch off into other subjects and ruin what we have going over here. I decided to give it a shot recently and we'll see how it works out. We're better off having a special place on LBT for these other WLS discussions. This way the posts don't get mixed into the regular forums and members can choose to read them - or not. Just me 2 cents.

Thing is Alex, the other WLS people are posting everywhere. In the help parts for Lapband and everything. They don't stay in their forums lol. But no biggie I just ignore them.

Thing is Alex, the other WLS people are posting everywhere. In the help parts for Lapband and everything. They don't stay in their forums lol. But no biggie I just ignore them.

That's why we have a little report button next to each post. If you see one that doesn't belong in that specific forum, go ahead and report it and one of our great mods will move it to the correct forum.

report.gif

My major problem with the other WLS postings is that it will make the "New Post" search tool less targeted towards bandsters.

Sure it is more of an annoyance than a full blown problem but, it is the primary way I navigate the site. I am sure that I'm not the only one who does it that way. If you could fix that it would be stellar.

I didn't say that...exactly. I said since he thinks the masturbation thread was able to be here than these should be here too well I said the other one was deleted so in his own words with what he said about it...those could be deleted too.

I know it won't happen and don't switch my words around. I know what I said.

you are correct ... i was on the road and i didnt have the original point of reference...

MY VOTE:NO!!!!!!

There are several other sites out there that are geared to Gastric Bypass and RNY surgeries and I have gone on them. The Lapband is rarely mentioned and the surgeries are very different. The main concerns with people who have had the other surgeries are getting all their vits and nutrients and triple the amount of Protein we need per day so they don't lose their hair or get really ill. They lose much, much quicker than we do because they have a "honeymoon" from food for about a year! It is like they have a super tight, restrictive, permanent band right away. They lose and then have to deal with the emotional and personal reasons why they became candidates for the surgery in the first place. We have to face the food and demons right away in order to succeed. After they lose all their weight, they then have to face the food issues and a lot of them gain back weight, stretch their pouches (it is less likely we will because we get adjustments) and that is why some get the band as revision surgery. It would be great for those people to join us but we do deal with many different things than gastric bypass and RNY people. I love our forum the way it is, I have gotten so much out of it! I hope I did not offend anyone. This is just things that I KNOW. (My debate team days in college are coming back to me--Watch out) :blink::laugh:

I agree about the new posts tool. I would like those forums to not be included but don't know if Alex can do that. Part of the reason I like the other WLS forums being included is that I feel we're providing members with a greater education regarding their WLS choices. Someone can come here thinking banding is best for them and find another option that suits them better.

IMHO if someone gets the sleeve that's fine and they can discuss but if it's anything other than that they're really going to feel more comfortable at other forum sites especially since this is called Lapbandtalk...I don't really feel it's other WLS-friendly here even if we add the other surgery threads, as you can see it's not very busy there. Nancy.

No offense Alex but my vote was for "no". But, I'd like to qualify that vote.

I am all for former bandsters who have lost their band for whatever reason continuing to visit LBT. Wether any of us meet in person we still form bonds and friendships on various levels and I'd hate to lose thos connections just because someone no longer had the band. I also feel it is just as important for pre & post bandsters to here input from those who no longer have the band.

That said I think the best place for threads specifically relating to WLS options other than the lapband are better suited in the "Life After Lapband Removal" Forum. Giving the other surgical options their own Forums on the main level just adds to an ever growing list of main forum areas and can also appear a to confuse the primare focus of this website to begin with.

That said I think the best place for threads specifically relating to WLS options other than the lapband are better suited in the "Life After Lapband Removal" Forum. Giving the other surgical options their own Forums on the main level just adds to an ever growing list of main forum areas and can also appear a to confuse the primare focus of this website to begin with.

Hmmm, hadn't though about that, but it is a good point and suggestion.