Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone else been told this?

When I was about 22 I saw a surgeon and he told me I couldn't lose 100 lbs and that he would not band me. I was so discouraged at that point. I know I gain a lot since then but I didn't keep track. It took 2 years and changing insurance to get me where I am. I have a surgeon who told me I should get lap band. He does want me to lose about 80 lbs pre-op, but I'm ok so far. I've lost almost 60 lbs in 4 months. Starting BMI 55, current is 45.9.

I think those pro RNY docs are scared. The band requires so much effort on the patient's part which is a great deal of the reason why the rny stats look better, you lose weight without the same amount of work. But it totally helps having a surgeon who believes in you. I walked out of the first appt with the old doc and told him I didn't want a surgeon who didn't believe I could succeed.

Good for you!!!since my surgery date on 2/3/09 I have lost a total of 96lbs. Now the doctors are looking shocked.If you want something bad enough you can do anything with a little help...

I am 6'1" and started at 408 lbs with a BMI of 54. My Dr also does by-pass but never tried to talk me out of banding. He also requires an evaluation with a shrink and he said I was a good candidate for banding.

Reading on one of the band manufacturer's web sites their statisitc show that about 60% of the people who get banded will lose half of their excess weight. And only about 10 - 15% will lose all their excess weight. So having reasonable expectations is important. I want to lose all my excess weight and that is my goal. But if I only lose half - and keep it off - I'm so far ahead of the game I can live with that. (Figuratively and literally.)

weight.png

per my insurance co.i too have to be in 6 months of nutrition classes. i weigh 260,my height is

5 feet tall.i want to have the lap band done,however i was told that i would only lose 50-60 pds and that i should consider gastric bypass because i will not get to my desire weight (120-130) with the band.my co-worker's daughter had the band done last year..she has lost119 pds(weighed over 200pd). when i do finally get to speak with the dr.if tells me i can't have the band than i will not purse gastric bypass. fyi this will be my 2nd dr that i would have seen for wls the first dr.kept telling me no to the band,yes to gastric bypass,yes to gastric sleeve and i was saying on the way out the door" forget you" i will go some where else and that's what did.

in the end it should be the patient's choice to decide what type of surgery he/she wants.

good luck!!!

The first dr I talked to seemed offended when I told him in no uncertain terms, it's lapband or bust. He made some little comment about patients who think they know more than the doctor. Well, I know my body!

The first dr I talked to seemed offended when I told him in no uncertain terms, it's lapband or bust. He made some little comment about patients who think they know more than the doctor. Well, I know my body!

I hope every patient to whom he makes that statement walks right out of his office. Eventually his practice will dry up completely! What a jerk!

my primary dr only brought up the band we never discussed bypass. when i met the surgeon he toldme to choose. im sure i might have had faster loss with bypass but this is what i felt most comfy with. its our decision period.

I saw my post earlier in this thread and realized that I wrote it before I decided to go with the band instead of bypass. My surgeon does both; he does more bypasses than bands, but he's highly regarded in the banding community. My starting BMI was 50ish.

Good luck in your Quest for for the band!

I guess I've had the best experience from step 1.

We have a WLS dept-

the seminar covers bypass and band (both surgeries the doc does)

i met with doc - he brought in those plastic models and showed me what both is on the organ models - with a real lap band I could hold look at etc..

In addition to 1 - 2- 1 nutrion visits we must attend shared medical appts that have pre op and post wls patients - the mix of both surgeries. I have found these groups very helpful.

I have been thinking the band the entire time but a few days ago got worried and started considering bypass - but that faded fast.

I believe you have to be an advocate for your own health and everyone should keep looking til they find teh doc that suits them

I, too, was told to expect to lose about half of my excess, which would have been about 85 pounds. I think the reason for the statistics on lap band are due to the fact that your weight loss is still dependent on you. You have to get fills when needed, you have to choose the right foods, and you have to move your body around more.

I told my surgeon at the time that I was a VERY determined person who just never felt full, and that if the lap band would supply that one thing for me, that I would lose all my excess weight. Less than one year later, I am very close to doing just that!

I think the reason for the statistics on lap band are due to the fact that your weight loss is still dependent on you. You have to get fills when needed, you have to choose the right foods, and you have to move your body around more. QUOTE]

Exactly!

My starting BMI was 65. I am 5'1 and used to weigh 369. My doctor had no problems with me getting the band. I had surgery on August 11 and am now down to 324. Seems to be working for me!!

My Dr. tried to talk me into GP. I knew it was not for me. He told me I would only lose about 80 lbs. I have lost almost 100 lbs. You have to be strong and stay in control of what you eat. You can do it. Perhaps you might try another Dr.

My answer to that surgeon is "pfffffft". You can quote me if you wish.

Find another surgeon!