Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Don't stress. Not everyone with PCOS who is banded eats a low carb / high Protein diet.

Some of us do really well just eating a balanced diet, and just swapping high GI foods for their low GI versions.

Hi all! I suspected PCOS post-pregnancy, when my weight went up to 289, and my cycles went up to 60 days, average. I was simply not ovulating, and having crazy mood swings. I talked to my Dr. about it, and he suggested losing weight and watching my blood glucose levels to alleviate it. I decided that, since I've been overweight for pretty much my entire life, the lap band is what I need. The pre-op diet helped me lose 18 pounds, and I've had one fill so far, feeling very little restriction. I'm watching calories and exercising, and I've lost an additional 2 pounds since my first fill (a week-and-a-half ago). I've ovulated twice since I lost the initial 18 pounds (since June 19), and have had cycles of about 35 days each. My blood glucose is also a lot better, post-banding, and I've been monitoring regularly since I was pregnant and had gestational diabetes. I got down to 240 in the 6 months after my daughter was born, but my glucose levels were still not as good as they are now. I don't know why, since it would make sense that the levels would go down as weight goes down. I have a hunch that this may be why I've been ovulating regularly and have been feeling so much better. Maybe that's why PCOS patients have better luck after banding? Just a thought.

I am now concerned that you say that because every diet that I read about that are high protein/low carbs state that these are the unhealthiest types of diet. So how is this helping us...it only appears to be hurting us.

What Are the Health Risks Associated With High Protein, Low Carb Diets?

http://women.webmd.com/guide/high-protein-low-carbohydrate-diets

High Protein diets can cause a number of health problems, including:

• Kidney failure. Consuming too much protein puts a strain on the kidneys, which can make a person susceptible to kidney disease.
  • High cholesterol. It is well known that high protein diets (consisting of red meat, whole dairy products, and other high fat foods) are linked to high cholesterol. Studies have linked high cholesterol levels to an increased risk of developing heart disease, stroke and cancer.
  • Osteoporosis and kidney stones. High protein diets have also been shown to cause people to excrete more Calcium than normal through their urine. Over a prolonged period of time, this can increase a person's risk of osteoporosis and kidney stones.
  • Cancer. One of the reasons high protein diets increase the risks of certain health problems is because of the avoidance of carbohydrate-containing foods and the Vitamins, minerals, Fiber and anti-oxidants they contain. It is therefore important to obtain your protein from a diet rich in whole grains, fruits and vegetables. Not only are your needs for protein being met, but you are also helping to reduce your risk of developing cancer.
  • Unhealthy metabolic state (ketosis). Low carb diets can cause your body to go into a dangerous metabolic state called ketosis since your body burns fat instead of glucose for energy. During ketosis, the body forms substances known as ketones, which can cause organs to fail and result in gout, kidney stones, or kidney failure. Ketones can also dull a person's appetite, cause nausea and bad breath. Ketosis can be prevented by eating at least 100 grams of carbohydrates a day.

This shouldnt be confusing. If you have PCOS, your body does not function the way its suppose to, nor does your body process food the way they are suppose to. So the idea that high protein low carb is bad is wrong...its not as healthy for someone who DOESNT have PCOS, but with PCOS, carbs are the devil!!!!!!!!!! Carbs like breads, Pasta, rice...things processed are bad for PCOSers, but good carbs like squash, zuccheni, and veggies/fruits are the way we get our carbs. You have to understand, that if you are overweight because of the help of PCOS, that your body will not function properly until the weight is off, because you have an influx of hormones and insulin ravaging your body. Thats why eating low carb high protein is usually the only way people will lose weight....but, people dont know how to eat carbs properly for PCOS, will not lose weight. Just know that we are hurting ourselves more being overweight with too many hormones, and being insulin resistant, than any low protein high carb diet will cause.

2nd2none1 said:

... every diet that I read about that are high protein/low carbs state that these are the unhealthiest types of diet. So how is this helping us...it only appears to be hurting us.

It is not true that low carb, high-protein diets are bad for anyone, with the exception of people who have ESRD (End Stage Renal Disease) or have trouble excreting Protein - most people do not have this problem!

The only way that someone with PCOS is going to control her blood sugar is to eat less carbs. And when enough Protein enters the equation, it equals better blood sugar control; this is a fact. Diabetics typically eat very low carb foods. Eating a low carb diet is a good alternative to taking Metformin, Glyburide, Glucophage, or any similar drugs.

Of course, eating a pound of cheese and beef at every meal, or eating bacon and cheese with a side of tomatoes, is not good for a person. But eating a serving of chicken salad, a couple romaine leaves, and a slice of whole fiber wheat toast, is an excellent choice. There are many types of low carb, low GI foods that are very healthy, and I would urge anyone struggling with his/her weight to try eating low carb/low GI for a month, and see what the results are. I eat low carb, low fat (30% or less of my cals. from fat), and high fiber. I've lost 20 pounds since June, and I look forward to losing a lot more.

Many websites will tell people that low carb diets are bad for them, and it's pretty obvious (most of the time) that these sites have specific agendas. There are many independent studies that prove that low carb diets (when properly managed) DO help lower bad cholesterol, raise good cholesterol, and assist with weight loss. It's up to each person to make the choice regarding whether that diet is right for them.

Best of luck to you all!

- Sarah H.

My I get personal?

My doc warned me I might all of a sudden get my period back, and start ovulating. I am slightly concerned. I can go for up to 6 mos with out. Which is no big, as I am not planning starting a family right this second. Funny though thats how I got the diagnosis, I was a dumb 19 year old newly wed who was trying and after three years no results DR said PCOS. I have been off the pill happily for nearly 9 years.

sorry long story to bascily ask has the sudden return of a period or an acidential pregnancy happened to any one out there? Especialy if there was no way the PCOS would have allowed this pre op ? Just curious, We would love a munchkin in about five to ten years, so I would hold out hope for that, just not tomorow.

Thanks

I agree w/ Shauna - Carbs AND FAT are BAD for those of us w/ PCO's the REASON we have such difficulty losing weight is because all we can basically eat is Protein. Our metabolism is very screwed up. How many of you lost weight like crazy on the liquid Protein only diet. You should stay as low carb and low fat if you are PCOS.

To the last poster sorry I forgot the name - i would be careful about accidental pregnancies as you start losing weight yes (though I don't speak from experience).

All carbohydrates are not equal!!!

Processed and refined carbs are the bad ones, Sugar, Flour etc.

Un-processed or complex carbs are low GI and are digested slowly without triggering the glucose spike and excess un-usable glucose in the blood that is responsible for the weight gain associated with PCOS as well as the low energy levels.

Carbohydrate is a very important part of any diet and should not be omitted. Reducing carbs too far will slow your metabolic rate futher. Good quality carbs are what you should be eating.

Low GI is the way to go. Pick low GI carbs, good quality Protein and good fats. These are all important for gaining and maintaining good health.

Stay away from the empty calories provided by junk food and drink.

Keep taking Metformin, if you are on it, and slowly build up the exercise, one step at a time, and all should go well.

....that's my opinion and everyone is welcome to it...no charge.

agree with keep taking metformin even if your bg's are normal. Anytime I've gone off it I gained a ton of weight. I'm not going off it until I reach my goal.