Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

can u guys tell me the reason for chest x-ray before this procedure? are they checking my lungs because i have asthma? lol. or my heart? thanks in advance. :biggrin:

so, on the 5th, i will be doing stress-echo, ekg, chest x-ray.

wew. big day, huh? lol. (i think.)

hey! i have to get a chest x-ray done too. i think they're checking the heart and lungs for any abnormalities that could complicate anesthesia. i have to get my blood draw, ekg, chest x-ray, meet with my surgeon, and meet the anesthesiologist all in the same day so i feel your pain. big day but pretty exciting too!

They are mostly checking lungs to see if you have pneumonia or any pleural effusions (fluid around your lungs) that could compress the lung and cause a complication during surgery.

whoa, pretty cool. thank you guys :biggrin:

when i had wisdom teeth pulled, because of my asthma, they couldn't "put me under" but...i was watching the whole thing, and in pain .. lol. so i am still kinda freaked out.

Gosh I had mine done back in June... They told me they were making sure my heart wasn't enlarged (because of my weight), and that they didn't see any tumors or anything. Thankfully that was totally normal. I also did tons of blood work (i'm sure more will be done in the 2 weeks prior to my surgery), and the ekg.

teri

I haven't seen it written anywhere but I always thought they might be checking for a hiatel(sp?) hernia, where your stomach extends up into your diaphram to much.

Gosh with all the tests they do on us, I wonder how we can hide anything! I mean seriously... I feel like I've been poked in every little spot there is... UGH!

teri

Upon looking over your x-ray, you'll be happy to know that your necklace and piercings appear to be just fine. :wink_smile:

Gosh with all the tests they do on us, I wonder how we can hide anything! I mean seriously... I feel like I've been poked in every little spot there is... UGH!

teri

Hehe! Try being infertile and going through all the tests, exams, etc! Sometimes I felt like telling everyone to form a line!!! :thumbup:

Upon looking over your x-ray, you'll be happy to know that your necklace and piercings appear to be just fine. :wink_smile:

LOL!!! Seriously had to go back and look again b/c I just didn't pay attention the first time! Sooo funny!!

I have my surgeon's appt., ekg and chest x-ray on Friday. Kinda figured the x-ray was just a general check of everything. Does everyone have to have an x-ray? I have asthma too and wonder if maybe that's the reason for it. It'll be interesting to see what pops up. I had bronchitis a few weeks ago and can still feel a slight heaviness in my chest so I'm hoping they don't freak out about it. I'll have to let them know about it so if they see something, then they aren't thinking I am coming down with it.

It seems so far away but yet it's getting so close now! Friday's appt then start the 10 day pre-op liquids on the 15th, then surgery the 25th!

Edited by heartfire
Forgot a comma, just could NOT let that go!!

All patients undergoing any surgery or procedure requiring general anesthesia have chest Xrays to assess the lungs for anything (infection, scarring, tumors...) that might contraindicate the use of certain meds/anesthesia.