Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

feel like I'm having a heart attack!!

ok, folks - need to know if anyone has experienced this: surgery on May 19, moving along just fine, had first fill 3 weeks ago. About 1 week ago, started to have this pain under my left breast that radiates through to my back under my left shoulder blade.

I was scared enough to go to the doc - my primary did an EKG and said it looked fine. My Lap Band doc did a upper GI swallow test - no results yet.

Anybody have this pain too? Is it from my band? I admit I've had a horribly stressful couple weeks and have been eating too much. Is it from overeating? HELP!:thumbup:

While I have not had this, I have read other posts on here that sound similar and they did reference eating too much for a period of days. Some people went back to liquids/mushies for a couple of days and it seemed to work for them. Maybe you have stretched the pouch? Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

I've had this, and it is EXCRUCIATINGLY painful. Esophageal spasm. Some peoples esophagus has weak muscles and will go into spasm trying to work the food down. Our esophagus is not just a tube that food travels down, but it is a complex system of muscles that coordinate together and in a wavelike pattern move the food down. If your muscles are weak, or your band is too tight, the muscles spasm and bang! you feel like your heart just ruptured. Typically it lasts around 6-8 seconds, and passes,,,,, until the next bite of food. Extremely small bites help, (like a baby spoon, liquids, and a small unfill of your band) Also staying on liquids a couple days will give your esophagus time to relax. My doctor gave me a medicine called Levsin, which is suppose to relax the esophagus prior to eating. It dissolves in seconds under your tongue. Problem is it can't just isolate the esophageal muscles, so it left my entire body limp and lethargic. Not real practical unless you eat & go to sleep. Sometimes also if you get some gastric reflux, it can irritate your esophagus and cause spams. Be sure that isn't the problem also. Check in with your Dr. or a gastroenterologist. Good luck!

So glad to hear that. (Not that your in pain) but that someone else had the same problem. I proceeded to vomit which was very painful but then I felt a little better. The only thing I had after that was a cup of clear tea. Feel much better this morning but I'm being very careful. The pain was excrutiating and at one point I actually consided calling 911. I will eat more carefully from now on that's for sure.

gosh, I'm so glad to hear others have experienced the same thing. It's so scary! I also wondered about acid reflux?

Hi Flyaway,

I have the same problem. My surgery was July2 and was doing great up until a week ago. Now, when my stomach is empty(can't figure that one out...you'd think it would happen when I'm full) I get a terrible shooting pain in the exact area you described when I burp. It was getting progressively worse as the week has been going on and I spoke with the Dr. this morning. He said it does sound like gas but he wants to check it out and see me Monday morning and told me to go back to the liquid phase for this weekend. He also said to take Gas-x 4x a day. I'll keep you posted...hope you feel better!

Lisa :tt2:

Ditto! I have this Esophageal spasm for about a week now. It is really driving me crazy! My pain felt like a contraction starting in between my breasts, and kind of moving upward. It is extremely painful. Like what I would imagine a heart attack to feel like. It is a shooting pain that makes me catch my breath. I breathe with it, trying not to get paniced.

When I first called the Dr, 3 days post op about this, they said I should've called sooner. They prescribed the pill that dissolves under teh tongue (generic DISPAS). It helped some, but, lately my pain has gotten worse and more frequent.

I went to the Dr yesterday and she removed any excess air from my band (I was banded 9/18/08). It seems to help some, but, not eliminate the problem. I am doing the pill under the tongue several times a day, but, it has begun to affect my vision and certainly my energy level. I'm not sure what, if anything, can be done to correct this. Hopefully, it's just a matter of time before all calms down in there. I am supposed to contact the Dr office today to give them an update on how I'm feeling.

I am hopeful that "this too shall pass" and I will be feeling better soon. I have lost 12 pounds so far! that is great!

Sounds like a gallbladder attack. My sister and good friend both had them (after starting to lose weight)

Suggest to your Dr. They can do an ultrasound and see it. If it is, you can have it removed or they can suggest certain foods to avoid that may help.

good luck!

I've already had my gall bladder removed. I remember that pain too! OUCH! I'm praying for relief but not sure where it's gonna come from....

thanks for responding.

B

I was just rebanded on July 30, and I have this pain..it feels like it's on my right side affecting my breathing and lung..sometimes it feels like it's affecting my heart. I also noticed that I have this pain more after standing. So I first thought it was a gas bubble from surgery still moving around. Then after standing for a period of time yesterday and my stomach being pulled in, I have started thinking it maybe a muscle spasm and muscle tightening. I was just wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this...also if I take Tylenol the pain subsides at least enough to where I'm able to sleep.< /p>