Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

If 50 pounds lost do you have excess skin?

I am waiting to get my surgery date and am concerned now about my stretchmarks and elasticity of skin. After 50 pounds lost have any of you experienced your skin back to almost normal or do many of you feel that you have to have that skin surgery? The doctor told me (Dr. Ali at Fountain Valley Regional from Dr. LePort's office) that it is a myth that losing weight slower and drinking Water will bring back the elasticity in your skin. This was very discouraging for me. I would love to hear from any of you.:thumbdown:

There is a lot of discord about the skin thing out there. The surgeons that want you to purchase new sculpted looks tend to tell you to come for more surgery for extra skin, but they are selling you a product make no mistake. I don't have any intention of getting plastic surgery later!

One thing at a time. Just focus on the weight loss first, the rest will become obvious as you go along. No one will know what it will be for you until you do. Good luck!

this is something I was concern on too I have like 75 lbs to lose and I am sure with eating the right way and stay active this should be ok

I go Aug 5th for my band and that is one of my concerns I will ask the doctor when I go into the hospital

Lisa

50 yr old

It all depends on your skin, age, ect. Some people's skin does bounce back to shape. Others, like mine, not so much.

now do you work out......I do but not like I should and I figured I would start after I am better and get on a routine, my skn is pretty good...so everyone tells me. But when your heavy I don't think anything is good lol I am nervous about the skin....I guess I will figure it out and deal with it

Thanks

Lisa

Hi. My view is to assume you will have some loose skin when you reach your target weight, even if that target weight is after losing 50 or 75 lbs. I was banded in 2002 and reached my goal by the end of 2003 (loss of about 90 lbs.), when I was 33. I have maintained a loss of 80-90 lbs. since then. At the time of banding, I had been morbidly obese for about 5 years, overweight most of my life prior to that. I exercised a lot in the first year after banding, and still ended up with loose skin, particularly in the tummy and breast area. I think a lot of this depends on where you carry your weight the most. I was definitely an "apple" shape, so it doesn't surprise me that I had excess skin in the abdomen. I had a TT about a year ago (July 2007) which took off about 5 pounds of skin. I'm having a BL and some back Lipo next week, mostly to take care of boob sagging and tweaking the abdominal area and torso. I do not need really need an arm lift but I have some there too, and my thighs could use some work. As others have suggested, just focus on losing the weight and see where you end up after your weight has stabilized for about six months. You'll have a better idea then; every body is different and so many variables determine the excess skin issue that it's hard to predict the outcome! Good Luck!

Its most likely you will have some loose skin. Look at your stretchmarks. If you have a lot of them all over your stomach, your skin is pretty shot thee and its most likely it wont bounce back. wherever there are stretchmarks, you're probably going to have loose skin. And even where there arent stretchmarks you're probably going to have loose skin.

But you can be lucky. Mine is minimal, but its there, after 100lb. But certainly not surgery worthy. Just a bit crinkly in spots. Except my breasts which are ruined, and that's got as much to do with six years of breastfeeding as with weight loss. Its hardly as if they were pert before, you could have guessed what the end result would be.

However, the cellulite I had on the backs of my thighs/buttocks is still there, boo hoo.

Its good luck and genetics and there isnt much you can do to prevent it. Hopefully with such a relatively moderate weight loss you will be just fine.

Edited by Jachut

Thanks for your advice. Your photo you look great I was trying to get it bigger because I do not see any of your sagging at all. I don't know why I am so stressing over it when I don't even have the lap band yet. I do get banded in 2 weeks. Just take it slow and kick ass in exercise!!!

I am glad to know I am not the only one concerned with loose skin.

I have been hanging out at 20 pounds down since November 2009.

I am getting mad at myself for self sabotage. So I started to think of why I would do this. First loosing 2 clothing sizes made my boobs look even more huge than they already were looking, plus they are flat and hang down low. Then seeing my hands getting loose sking and my arms, nothing major just minor. It has scared me.

I do not like my boobs never have never will. They have always been huge even as a 12 yr old. I just need to get over my boob a fobia.

After reading here about the skin, I think I can talk myself through this one as well.

I think I am hovering at just this weight loss due to my insecurities in myself and my self image.

Hopefully reading more posts like this one will help me to move on down.

I started out so excited, I need to get back on the happy bandwagon.

I have lost 40 pounds and I have sagging skin - and I am still thrilled! I started this to be healthy and I am doing great. I won't let some skin stop me. I have already started saving for my Tummy Tuck when I reach goal. I am going for the prize!!:thumbdown:

I am 40, and have been on and off diets since I was six years old. I didn't make it through puberty without stretch marks. Not to mention, my boobs were never good looking... you can't loose and gain and loose and gain during their development and expect them to be fine at 40! I have a CRAZY amount of extra skin. The cost of all the plastic surgery I want is outrageous, so now I am coming to terms with the extra skin. I try to look at it in that its better deflated and I am healthy than full and on my way to an early death.

Every one is different. Regardless of age and dieting history. Skin elasticity is genetically determined and influenced by the environment.

Just focus on treating your body the way we all should, with love, care and respect. The mind will follow.