Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello again! I have a question, and I know it has already been answered! I am 5 days post op, and I have been trying different shakes. Today's drink was Milk chocolate Ensure...and it wasn't too bad. It had 9g of Protein in it. How many should I be drinking each day? I can't find how many grams I am to have each day! Thank you for your help. I have been doing really well, but have only lost 2 pounds. From what I know, this is normal! I just want it to magically disappear!! : )

Does anyone know about hard boiled eggs? I love them, and I am not sure when I can eat them! I can mush them down!!!

Thank you all for your help!

Jodrae

Banded July 9th, 2008

my dr says none of them drinks.or slimfast or Atkins, GNC has some good one but from what my nutrinest told us 25-30 grams Protein a day to start,the other ones have to much hiden calories in them,no juice either

They didnt tell you exactly what kind to buy?? I was told i had to get a drink called Isopure Zero Carb Drink for week 1 and Resource optisource High Protein Drink for week 2... They told me exactly how much to drink also...

They didnt tell you exactly what kind to buy?? I was told i had to get a drink called Isopure Zero Carb Drink for week 1 and Resource optisource High Protein Drink for week 2... They told me exactly how much to drink also...

I just tried Muscle Milk. It has 22g protein and only a few g of sugar. I found it at Winn Dixie, but I hear that GNC carries it, too. At W/D you can find it near the Slim Fast. I was using the whey protein from Wal-Mart, but it is gritty and not really all that good.

You should be taking in as much Protein as possible each day, particularly when you are healing from surgery. Your body needs Protein to repair. Your protein requirements depend on your body size. Go online to www.thedailyplate.com or some other similar site to figure what your body needs.

If you are on Clear liquids, try Kellogg's protein Water, it comes in ready-to-drink bottles or as a powdered drink mix-5 gm protein, 5 gm Fiber and 30 cal per serving. You will find it in most larger supermarkets, even Walmart has it.

If you are not limited to Clear Liquids, there are loads of high Protein shakes out there. Use the search tool to find some brands others have tried and like or dislike. I've heard good things about sugar free Carnation Instant Breakfast, Isopure, Revival Soy, and powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury.

Get creative with Greek yogurt (higher in protein than regular yogurt), soy products (silken tofu, soy milk, etc.), and protein powders can be added to juices, puddings, and anything mushy.

Have fun!

Ensure is not a good choice....not enough protein....not enough bang for the buck. Isopure is good for bariatric patients, so is World Wide Protein (canned RTD) altho RTD's are a little pricey ($2).....but 35 grams protein in 11 oz. Protein powders are the best buy....about 50 cents/serving - nectar brand, Whey Gourmet, Body Fortress, etc (around 25 grams protein) and all appropriate for bariatric patients (lo carb, lo cal, hi protein). You need about 60+ grams protein a day altho you may not be able to hold that much early on. The liquid in your Protein Drinks counts toward your liquid requirements for the day, too.

When I saw the nutritionist she walked me through every aspect of the post-op diet. As I understood it, our bodies can only absorb 20-25 grams of Protein at a time, so we should be sure to take that into account when we plan our supplements. She also said that I should be getting 60-80 grams of Protein in a day. She said that for the first week, when I am on clear liquids, my body could handle the reduction in protein intake. But, she said, I'd have to start supplementing in week 2 or I'd lose my hair and start losing muscle mass.

She was very, very clear that any protein supplement needed to have less than 5 grams of carbs UNLESS there was insoluble Fiber to counteract them (that whole net carb thing). She said sugar carbs were a no-no in the protein supplements since you are already getting sugar carbs from the milk (or whatever) that they are often mixed with.

This doesn't make me an expert or anything. But I'm a little obsessive so I wrote it all down for when I forget later :confused_smile:

I was told no ensure either. At least 20 gm per drink and less than 5 gram carbs. I am using Unjury, I like the vanilla, strawberry and chocolate. I was told 50 grams of Protein per day. 2 of these drinks = 40 and the other ten I get from l/f cottage cheese, l/f yogurt, etc.

Thank you everyone for your insights! I just spent 7 bucks for 6 of them, and I bought two packs!!! I will finish them up and then go to GNC probably! Thank you all for you advice! I am glad I didn't buy more than 12!!!

I think EAS (energy.athletics.strength) is just the right blend of everything and I see it everywhere. it has 23g of whey Protein, 3g of carbs (1g sugars), 2g fat, and 120 calories. I don't mix it with milk since milk turns into sugar, so i use Water.< /p>

Actually I won't be finishing them up!!! 40 carbs...yikes! Must be for people trying to gain weight!!!! OOPS! I guess I am back to shopping! That could explain my 2 lb weight loss!

i get my from my grocery store but i've seen it at CVS. You should be able to find it anywhere

EAS is a good choice. The tastiest way to fix the powdered Proteins is to get yourself a little Hamilton Beach Personal Blender ($14 WalMart) and use it to mix 1 scoop powder, 8 oz Water, 4-5 ice cubes and blend....you can vary your ratios, of course, and you can add some SF Syrup (like DaVinci or Torani) and maybe a few berries. Later on, when you can have coffee, try mixing it with a little cool water, blend it til smooth, then add your coffee and maybe a little FF Creamer and/or some SF syrup - makes a good latte!

I couldn't stand the taste of any of the whey Protein drinks, I tried Isopure, unjury, Designer Whey...they all tasted absolutely disgusting to me. Out of desperation I tried the GNC Soy Protein Powder and found that it is quite palatable. I have to take in 88 grams of Protein per day and there is 31 grams of protein per shake if it is mixed with milk or soy milk, and less than 5 carbs. I have one for Breakfast on most days and then track all my food intake and if I need more protein I have another one for dessert. It's pretty reasonably priced too, only $15.99 per tub, plus it's usually on sale for buy one get one half off. I'm now down 39 pounds since I was banded on April 24th, so I'm happy with my progress using this plan.

Hope this helps!

Sarah

Pre Op: 238.4 (Banded 4/24/08)

Current: 199.4 (finally under 200!!!)

Goal: 150