Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost 4 weeks post op and shoulder pain is back

It will be 4 weeks on Tuesday since I was banded. Two days ago I started to have pain in my left shoulder and neck, hurts more when I take a deep breath. I have followed my Surgeons diet to a T and are starting solid foods....ground beef, chicken haven't tried salads yet or any starchy vegetables.......

I am a little concerned and worried somehting may be wrong.

I tried to look through past posts but keep getting kicked back to the home page.

Thanks!

hi i am a dr/gp in australia banded late january-vhappy with it overall-but thought i'd respond re your left shulder pain.i have also bn troubled by this and found it dffcult to access information on it.mine started within a few days of the surgery and initially i thought it was gas under the diaphragm irritating the phrenic nerve (which also innervates the shoulder area), a well known usually short term complication of any laparoscopic abdominal surgery.however it persisted,not every day,and typically peaking in the early eveningfor a few hours,not seemingly meal related.antiinflammatories and pain relievers gave a little relief only.lying on my right side with my arm above my head gave the most relief (but was a bit hard to manage on work days!).my surgeon thought it probably related to irritation from where the base of the band is tethered by a stitch to the left crus (a ligament/ttendon thing)of the diaphragm.he has been doing the surgeries for many yrs,does a lot,and has an excellent reputation.he said he's only had a few people over the years with this problem,and only one required repeat surgery to remove (or was it just adjust?)the band and her pain was quite severe and persisted all day for months.i hope this helps.if there is breathlessness or fever or your medical histtory is complex i'd see your dr and surgeon to rule out other causes eg cardiac,pleurisy,clots in lungs etc and probbly a ood idea anyway,but maybe your reason is the same as mine.good luck-i'd be keen to know how you get on.

I am almost four months post op, I still have shoulder pain now and again. It was the most acute for about six weeks after surgery.....

Generally, after an adjustment I still get shoulder pain for a day or two....if I eat too fast or too much, I get shoulder pain. It's sort of a stop point/reminder for me.

I don't know how true this is but when my hubby when to fill my pain prescription the pharmacist told him that stomach area pain eg:stomach, diaghram....comes out in the shoulder. Meaning that when these area's are in pain you feel them in your left shoulder. He also went on to say that other area's like your kidneys you feel the pain in your right shoulder. I don't know if there is any truth to that. Maybe someone will come along that can back it up or dispell it.

Shoulder pains SUCK! I remember them so vividly because they were SO PAINFUL and sharp. Mine came and went for 8 weeks post-op. The one thing my doctor told me to do was walk, walk, walk.

It WILL go away.. :)

278/231/180

I agree with others - go get it checked if you are worried. But I am 10 weeks post op and still get random occasional shoulder pain and pain in the port area. Some folks have this procedure and never feel pain and never take meds. I took meds for four weeks and still get mild fatigue and abdominal pain late in the day - sometimes with shoulder pain and sometimes not. My doctor says it's just simply different for everyone based on age, weight, gender, pain threshold, etc.

Thank you to all who have posted! I feel so much better, to know that it is common and not that serious, although if it gets worse I will call my doctor.

I am giving my stomach a break none the less and going to stick with liquids and mushy and softer stuff today in case I irritated something. I already noticed that I can't tolerate ice cream and milk as good as I used to...I guess it is all trial and error......

liquid and mushy isn't bad when it is a choice not a requirement......LOL

Thanks again!!

I don't know how old you are, but if you are overweight you need to take precautions with your heart. I would be concerned if the shoulder pain went away but then came back especially if you are 4 weeks post op already. For women, especially, pain in the neck, shoulder, and behind the eye are all warning signs of a heart attack or blockage. I don't mean to alarm you, but take the precaution of getting check out with an EKG at the very least.

Best to you.

Dietfree

Hey there.

I am pleased people are giving their advice and not just saying it is "GAS".

I didn't have ANY gas pain past my first day of surgery. Then 10 days post op I began to have pain in my left shoulder at the back. It slowly increased in pain as the days went on. At 2 weeks post op I put a post out asking for advice, like you have, and was told it was just gas. One person repeatedly telling me it was gas. The pain was like a pulled muscle. The kind you get when you sleep in an odd position.

A few hours later I had a high fever and took myself to the hospital ( I was due for my stitches to come out that day anyway). My fever was 100 by the time I got there. One of the surgeons came to see me and admitted me straight away. After an ultra sound and a CAT scan he diagnosed 'liquid' in my diaphragm/spleen/stomach region.. they think a haematoma which had caused the infection. I stayed in hospital for one night and am now back home with a week off of work.

I am on antibiotics and pain killers for another 5 days or so.. (10 days in all). They said it was just one of the complications that can arise from this surgery.

Yours could just be gas pains... but please listen to your body and go and see your doctor if you are unsure. This is the time to be a hypochondriac!.. you owe it to your body to take care of it and the new friend you have inside you. Bug those doctors as much as you need to sleep soundly at night. They are the experts.

best of luck and warm wishes!

Kizzie

Edited by kizzie
typo

Thank you all again! Yes, I must say and agree that excellent information was given, some scared me but I'd rather be informed than not know and have something happen. Kizzie I hope you are feeling better and will keep you in my thoughts.

Today the shoulder pain near my neck is gone but I am going to follow up anyway to make sure it is nothing else. I have a rotator cuff injury in that shoulder but it wasn't in the same location and that pain I am used to.

I do think that it may be from something I ate, according to my doctors plan I am incorporating regular food and think that blue corn tortilla chips were too rough, too soon (we were told as tolerated).... I am so glad I am keeping a food journal. I am going to have everything checked out anyway!! If for nothing else than peace of mind :biggrin:

Thanks again for all the great advice!!!!

I had my first post-op appt today - I am 10 days post-op - I am having same pain as you and he said it is gas pain and I need to take Gas X or Milk of Magnesia - I did not know it was from gas but now I do - It is not killing me but is very uncomfortable - maybe what I am eating is wrong but I am basically living on Soups, cream of wheat, oatmeal, yogurt and Protein Drinks. Should go away eventually he said. I also have a lower back pain which is also related to gas.

Thank you all again! Yes, I must say and agree that excellent information was given, some scared me but I'd rather be informed than not know and have something happen. Kizzie I hope you are feeling better and will keep you in my thoughts.

Today the shoulder pain near my neck is gone but I am going to follow up anyway to make sure it is nothing else. I have a rotator cuff injury in that shoulder but it wasn't in the same location and that pain I am used to.

I do think that it may be from something I ate, according to my doctors plan I am incorporating regular food and think that blue corn tortilla chips were too rough, too soon (we were told as tolerated).... I am so glad I am keeping a food journal. I am going to have everything checked out anyway!! If for nothing else than peace of mind :biggrin:

Thanks again for all the great advice!!!!

I would certainly go with your gut instinct. You know your body.. although we do have to get to know how we react to this new part of us. Just take it easy. A food journal is a great idea!. Should keep one myself.

Thank you so much for your kind words and your thoughts. I do appreciate it. I am on the mend, although quite weak and lethargic. I have, however, put myself (with doctor agreement) back onto very light fluids again. I was supposed to be on mushies now but I am not ready for them.

take care!!

I am 6 days post op and still have pain in my right shoulder. It comes and goes and sometimes is very sharp. I can't seem to identify a pattern. Otherwise, I feel fine. No post op pain in my belly, slightly sore, like I did a few too many sit ups.

I'm glad to read that I'm not alone, but dismayed to read that many people are struggling with shoulder pain several weeks after surgery. I take Gas X but it doesn't seem to help at all. Any other ideas?

Wow! I too am in Australia (Victoria) and have had EXACTLY the same problem. Even surgery to reposition the tubing away from the diaphragm didnt help. Info is very difficult to find and my surgeon just keeps saying he has never heard of this problem nor have any of his colleagues! I am on daily oxycontin AND Endone for the pain, its really had a crippling effect on my life but the thought of having the band removed is one I cant deal with right now, especially when I have heard of people with the same problem that have had their band removed only to keep experiencing the same pain!