Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Psychiatric Medication

Have you been diagnosed with something in particular?

Hi Nanook,

I've only been diagnosed with depression. But I can honestly say, it's not always there. It's manageble, so maybe it's something else? For example, today, I feel great. No negative thoughts. But then some days, it all I have. I guess I haven't really done anything about it lately because it is manageable right now. It just comes and goes, but when it comes, it's full blown.

Jasmine,

I know that hormones and blood sugar, thyroid, these are all things that can affect your mood and depression. I know you said something about insurance but have you had any blood workups done recently or since your lap band?

Maybe it's related to something else so if it becomes a problem you can't manage maybe you can look into that direction also. Nanook:smile:

I've read this thread and little bits and peices pertain to me, but I'm gonna put myself out there and tell my story briefly....I was diagnosed bipolar in Oct 2005 because I had yet another breakdown, the worst of my adult life. My son started kindergarten and I lost it. My diagnosis has since been changed to borderline personality, major depression, and panic disorder, I have had BAD panic attacks since chilhood. Anyway, since then I have been taking Geodon, Wellbutrin, Klonopin, and Trazodone. Does anyone here take these or any combination of these CURRENTLY? I'm just wondering if my surgeon will think it is ok to stay on them. I talked to my psych and her only concern was the Geodon because you are supposed to eat 500 calories with it for it to work effectively. What she doesn't know is that I never eat with it cause if I do, I pass out from exhaustion. I feel it still works just fine for me and I'm better off with it than without it. If anyone reads this and can give me advice based on their experience, I'd appreciate the input. Thanks

Hi I take clonapin (my spelling) with pristiq which is an SNRI but I don't have any probs. My daughter is a RNY patient and they had to up her dosage of her antidepressant due to the malabsorption issues she has but that's totally different.

Work with your psychologist with this issue. I don't know if you'll be able to find someone with the exact cocktail out there but I guess you never know. Good luck Nanook.:)

I currently take 160mg of Geodon and do not take it with food (I know I am supposed to). It has helped me tremendously. I haven't been banded yet, but my psychiatrist doesn't think it will be a problem with the band.

I would worry about a med that needs to be taken with food, because you don't want to hurt your new little stomach. I guess there can be different reasons why a medication needs to be taken with food so I would check that out before your surgery. I know some meds can be taken through a patch but you want to take the med as prescribed so I'd discuss it with your doc.

I started on Zoloft about 15 years ago for some family stress and my familie's quality of life, as well as my own, improved greatly.:biggrin2: I continue to take it still.

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 12 years ago. Since depression is one of the symptoms I am on Elavil and Lyrica as well as other meds for pain. I can't imagine how hard it was for people before help from medications. (I also have a wonderful lady doc.):lol:

Hi Taz,

I have a friend who has severe fibromyalgia, do those medications bother your stomach? She's had a hard time finding something that doesn't bother her stomach. Thanks, Nanook:smile:

Hi, Nanook. Nice to see you around. So far I haven't had trouble with my stomach. I take Prevacid in the morning and I don't take them on an empty stomach. I was a little concerned about this when I got my band but, so far, I havn't had any trouble.:smile2:Tina

Taz,

Thanks I'll have to talk to my friend, she doesn't have a band but she just has a hard time with meds I think in general.

Nanook.:lol:

I self diagnosed my Seasonal Affective Disorder when I was 18 then had 2 doctors confirm the diagnosis (which is required in Australia). I started out on Lovan when I was about 20,21 just taking it in winter when the worst of the depression hits.

Since then its been increasing and now I'm on them all the time. This is the first year I've had to take them in January (mid summer here). I've also found my moods to be swinging at other times, not just with seasonal changes, so I'm waiting to get an appointment with a psyche to see if I'm actually bipolar. I think I might be.

In this time I've managed my own meds, increased a dose or decreased as I've seen fit. I have a very close relationship with my body and know the signs of mood changes. The doctor trusts my decisions on this matter.

I'm interested to see how having the lapband will affect my medication level, I know I'm going to have to 'play' with the amount again, but its not going to stop me having the band.

Hello -

New to this forum.

I'm BiPolar with most of my time spent on the bottom swing of the pendulum.

Rapid cycling and on Lamictal and Cymbalta.

Also -

Hypothryoid disease since age 40

gained over 80 pounds the first year after Graves Disease "fix"

Diabetic for 1+ year - resultant from aforementioned 80 lbs. -

no meds yet.

Arthritic knees (surprise?!?!)

And new development -

Cataracts!

Mom of 3 grown children

Work at home - prefer not to be in public often and going outdoors less and less as years pass.

Need large kick in the arse to jumpstart my life again.

Lap Band was recommended by weight management (hah!) advisor from First Priority and highly seconded by endocrinologist

Laughed at and Poo-Poo'd by regular doc. ("just do what I do - stop eating and ride your bike 20 miles a day")

- idjit!

So -

here I am

at the threshhold of -

whatever

:redface:

Welcome Elayne,

Much of this sounds familiar to me, don't have Graves but an under active thyroid that's under control with meds and diabetes II under control with meds also. Also on meds for depression and anxiety and perienopausal. I sound so under control but still haven't gotten the lap band under control.

Nanook:smile:

I took Effexor for a few years and when I tried to switch and weaned off (not slowly enough) I thought I was dying! I was sooo dizzy and I honestly thought I was going to die. Eventually, the symptoms stopped. I also got depressed after surgery, although I was on and still take Cymbalta. I read that divorce is sky high (way higher percentile) in people after WLS. I was thisclose to divorcing a couple months ago. There is a huge change in everything about me since the surgery, I think. Chemically, moodwise, personality-wise, everything. Luckily, my family and friends are very supportive and patient with me!!!

bbanded,

I'm interested in the changes after banding you talk about. I'm getting done in October and I've noticed recently that I'm going through some psychological changes, as if my mind as well as my body is gearing up for a major change.

Did you have counselling help through this change or did you just crash through it on your own? I'm considering lining up a counsellor for myself to go through it with me.