Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is the rudest thing someone has said to you?!?!

I live in the Inland Empire ... so just down the hill from you!

Thank you for the compliment :lol:

Yeah I'm still with the jerk ... he has learned to accept my band, he likes the new me. Now the problem is everytime I leave the house, he accuses me of going to meet someone else ... I had lunch a couple months ago with an old (female) friend from high school and he even accused me of having an affair with her! He has become seriously insecure :embaressed_smile:

Bloo I am no relationship expert, that's for sure but every Oprah show that deals with the onset of abusive relationships start that way. Please do not let him crush your self esteem. No one should be treated that way. Emotional abuse and physical abuse are not acceptable.

Diane

It is so shocking to think of the mean or thoughtless things people can say to each other. Reading these don't make me sad though, maybe because I feel like everyone here understands. It does make me think about things said to me all my life. I do not feel sad for myself, I feel sad for the people that say the rude comments, I'm not sure why, because they are just so clueless I guess. So here are a few that come to mind:

1) When my husband and I first started dating I over heard his sister tell him that she was so surprised he was able to look past my weight problem:mad2:. (I was about 210lbs and had just lost 40lbs).

2) When I was 18 (so insecure at that age) and 140 lbs (and 5'7") I had a guy tell me I would be the perfect girl if I would just "drop like 20 lbs or so".:embaressed_smile:

3) At age 11 my Mom told my Aunt (right in front of me, while I was changing my clothes) that she couldn't believe she had a daughter that looked pregnant:angry:. Hello, I had a kid belly!

You know the weirdest thing is none of these comments were actually meant to hurt my feelings...Just a thought...

Edited by Smartiegirl

A colleague at work once asked if I was going to the Christmas party, because if I was he would have to book an extra 2 seats. Arsehole!

One Christmas morning my now ex-mother in law gave me a lovely shirt and as I opened it she says "I hope it's big enough" my response was "gee I hope they didn't raise the price too much for all that extra fabric"! The old hag is just as big as I WAS...

I dated a man for a year who would watch over every bite I took. He was never happy with how much weight I lost. He lived 4 hours away from me and we would only see each other on the weekend. It finally hit the point where I was at 138 pounds (I am 5'5") and everyone who knows me in the town I live in was scared because that is way too thin for me.

He still felt I needed to lose another 20 pounds or so.

What people did not know is that I would only drink Water Monday through Friday. No food. I would only eat on the weekend when I was with him and, like I said, every bite was monitored.

I had my hysterectomy during that time and my doc refused to let me go back to work even part-time until I gained at least 5 pounds. This guy said "I can't believe that a doctor wants you to get fat." He told me I was lying to him and that I just wanted to eat junk.

He finally told me that it was just not going to work because I was not working to lose the last of the weight he felt I should lose (which would have probably killed me) and he broke up with me.

I have since met an AWESOME man who loves me unconditionally. He has loved me 100% when I was thin and 100% while I have been heavy. He supports my decision to get the band but says that he does not EVER want to see me get as thin as I was when he met me. He is the love of my life and I thank God every single day for him.

I'll never forget the time my mother told me that she weighed 120 when she went in the hospital to deliver me and then she said "there's no telling what you'll weigh if you ever get pregnant!" I could probably remind her of that and she would deny saying it - she does that quite a bit but boy those kind of hurtful things really stick with you don't they?

For me it's more of the reaction I get from skinny girls who look at me as though being fat were contagious. I have also noticed that men do not want to be seen talking to a "fat girl". (Like I could care since I have a fantastic husband of 15 years who loves me no matter how I look.)

Here's what I say to them: "I might be fat, but you're ugly...and I can lose weight." :lol:

It hurts most though when my (not overweight) mother grabs my love handles, flabby arms or 2nd chin and says nothing. :confused:

What is seriously wrong with people? I cannot EVER imagine being that mean to someone. I have had several rude comments over the years; not many, but the few that were said really, really hurt...and have stayed with me.

1. Once, when I was about 15, my grandmother bought me a vest for Xmas. I opened it up and tried it on in front of everyone...it didn't button up. My grandmother said...in front of everyone..."Have you thought about gong on a diet?" After that, I never , ever...to this very day, would try on a piece of clothing that was given to me as a gift...unless I am alone.

2. In college, I went to a party--got all ready, cute clothes, hair done etc. It was a frat party, and the guy standing at the door says "We charge by the pound for girls like you."

Interesting thread...

I started gaining weight at around the age of 6. So, I had an aunt who was only related by married, who EVERY TIME she would see me would say, "Paulette, you are such a pretty girl, but there is just too much of you." I remember how I felt at such a young age and I ALWAYS dreaded going back over there. In high school, there were these 3 jerks that were about a year older than me, and mind you, I really never had anyone make fun of me in school until this. But, this guy was in my home ec class and we were in the kitchen area and he told me to look out "big mamma" They also used to pass me in the hallway and say really loudly Jabba, jabba, jabba. Because they were tell me I looked like Jabba the Hut from Star wars. Man that hurt and it still does when I think back to that day.

I finally had to go to the principle and tell him about it so they would leave me alone. They harrassed me most of the year.

I was in a supermarket today with my 2 year old son and we were singing row row row the boat (it amuses him while food shopping). An old guy said to me It must be a handful, especially with another one on the way!!! IM NOT PREGNANT!

I said no I havent THANKS VERY MUCH.

Roll on 13th August when I am being banded. Felt depressed all day!!

Ok I have a couple to tell you about.

1. My ex-husband, now you have to know, when we met and were married I weight about 125 pounds. After having 2 children, I had gained alot of weight and I mean alot. I was in the store one day shopping for some pants and a few shirts, I pulled a pair of pants off the rack and ask him, (who I thought loved me unconditionally) honey what do you think of these pants, all he did was looked at me and replied, MOOOOO. I was so hurt that I put the pants back on the rack, started crying, and left the store.

2. OK, now my ex-hubsand is remarried and remarried a woman that is bigger than I am. We all have myspace, (this is how we mostly talk about the kids), well I was informed to go to my ex-husbands moms page and look at what was on there, so I do, and his new wife had put a picture of this woman that must have weighed atleast 400 pounds, with her new groom that was probably bigger than that, eating a whole wedding cake with this written under it, Stacy and Mark must have gotten married already cause here is there picture and look at this, they are eating the cake. Get this, my husband now, is 6'1, nicely built and weighs about 180.

It hurts when people make fun of you because you are different, and shamely I did it when i was in high school just like most of everyone else. I now wish I could go back and change the way I treated overweight people knowing now how bad it hurt them.

Many things have been said to me over the years, here are some...

What a shame such a pretty face.

I have been called TITANIC which I replied Yes I am big and bold just like the Titanic before it sunk.

Nice face shame about the arss.

Look at the hail damage on her. This was said about my cellulite by two ugly 60+ guys with beers guts! Go figure?

My old boss told me I looked Matronly.

I wish I would have treated overweight people better too. I used to make fun of my brother who was chubby. Now he looks good and I'm the fat one. Go figure.

It was prom time, I was a freshman in high school, I was walking down the hallway at school, and a group of senior boys were being mean and asking me to go to prom with them and then laughed as I walked away. It was horrible and humiliating! I am sure they are all losers now :)

This is a very interesting thread.

I was fortunate enough to have been thin in high school and when I got married, so I didn't suffer with that growing up. I wasn't super popular or anything but I was average enough to be below most people's radar.

I am so sorry for the people here who not only have had a difficult time but not gotten the support from the people who should love you unconditionally - your family.

My husband is amazing- we got married when we were 19 (after a 3 month courtship! but it's been 13 years so we won the lottery there!) and I was thin (150) and pretty. And over time I just kept gaining and gaining until my highest (328). And the whole time he was supportive, he thought I was beautiful and never was rude or anything. Shortly after we got married and long before kids (now 8 and 4) we went out to a club with friends in his hometown of Queens NYC. I had gained some weight and was chubby - not fat but not thin either.

So we are there and my husband does not dance. Ever. So I was on the dance floor dancing with his childhood (and now my) friend. And an old friend and schoolmate of his came up to the table and they were catching up when he looked at the dance floor and said "Whos the fat chick dancing with Jimmy??" The whole table got deathly quiet and one brave soul tried desperately to give the guy a signal to shut up. But alcohol being what it is, when no one answered, he just repeated louder "No one knows who the fat chick dancing with Jimmy is?? What's up with that?" My husband quietly informed him that I was his wife.

Patrick walked me back to his mom's house (where we were staying) and I cried the whole way - because of course I came back to the table and asked what was going on and someone actually told me! I was so humiliated. Patrick dropped me off and went back out. Jimmy later told me that he went back to the club and the guy was already waiting outside and told Patrick to just get it over quick, that he knew he had it coming and was going to take it like a man.

But my entire family has been amazing for the whole terrible saga. My mom, dad, brother, husband, friends, my second family (you know, that family that is so close to your family that they are like another mom and dad) - hell, even my mother-in-law is beyond supportive! So I have to say that I am SOOO thankful for their support. It never occurred to me that someone would have to defend themselves from attack from their own family. Consider yourself hugged!!!! :thumbup: