Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is the rudest thing someone has said to you?!?!

Oh, I have so many. One of my friends moms (she was a mean old woman who was big too) said to me "my gosh, you are as big as that door".

My own mother said to me one time when we were painting "don't off that ladder, you'd put a hole in the floor". She has always been big too.

Dh has gotten in a ton of fights over people saying I was a "fatass" or something stupid like that.

Jill, when my Mom said that to me I just replied SO NICE TO SEE YOU TOO MOM. People who have never had a weigh problem just think losing weight is easy. If it was so easy it wouldnt be a billion dollar industry.

Our weight does not define who we are. We just have to remember that and be good to ourselves....easier said than done..

Bloo eyes... do you and your husband still speak?? that is about the most hurtful thing I have ever heard. Where in southern cal are you. I am in Apple Valley the desert.

My favorites are always from my sister-in-law. One time, when she made a comment about the fact that I had gained weight, I replied, "well, there's more of me to love." She countered with, "I'd rather love less of you more." Argh!!!!!!!

I have a few ... :w00t:

Back in high school there was this guy I had a crush on that would always call me "thunder thighs" ... and back then I was only a size 12! :sad_smile:

Easter last year during an Easter egg hunt, my middle son was mauled by a dog so while we were in the ER with him (as he was getting his head stapled back together), the doctor started making "small talk" with me and as we were talking about my 3 boys he says "and you have another one on the way ... do you know if this one will be a girl?" ... Ummm, I wasn't pregnant. :thumbup:

A couple weeks later I was having somewhat of a conversation with my Mother-in-law (I never really liked the woman) and she's telling me about some family member of hers that lives back in Indiana. She's explaining to me that this woman is "SO BIG" and then she says "well, she's about your size" (I wanted to smack her :tongue:)

Then of course, after my band surgery was the comment from my disapproving husband (who was against me having the surgery, against me going out of the country for it and didn't talk to me or sleep in the same bed with me for over a month afterwards ...) he says I took the "easy way out" and I could have lost the weight on my own but instead I did it the "lazy person's way" ... That comment started WW3 in my household! :tt1:

If that is your pic then can I just say this.... you are beautiful! Is your husband serious! Are you still with that jerk?.... because you can do a whole lot better for yourself than that.

The worst comments I have ever heard were from a customer at my work. I waitress on the side to pay for school and one of my regular customers is a snooty old woman who is also overweight. On one of her lovely visits to my restaurant she asked me to come over and talk to her. I went to her and she said " you know your such a pretty girl but your Huge! Have you ever thought about liposuction? If that wasn't bad enough she said that with the way I'm going I will never find a man to love me. I have been with my boyfriend for almost 3 years!!!lol

Another one that always kills me is when I hear kids look at me an say mommy shes big. I know their kids but deep down it still bothers me.

My uncle walked in the room one day and said "You must weigh about 350 now". I only weighed about 230 at that time. And the worst part was he just kept on and on about it. But my mother has probably made me feel the worst about myself. She is always sayng I could lose weight on my own if I wanted to. She has always been overweight as well, but she always puts others down for their weight. I used to drink regular coke and everytime I would go to her house, she would tell me if I stopped drinking that can of sugar I would lose weight.

Why does it seem that people who are overweight themselves are the ones putting down others for the same thing? I don't get it.

Interesting topic to post....

Here are a couple of mine through the years.... In high school, I remember being told that I had such a pretty face from my PCP that I should loose some weight I was a size 12. In college, I had a guy tell me that if I would loose some weight that he would take me out and he was married :(. When I got pregnant with my son, one of my coworkers was concerned over every bit of food I was eating. She said that I guess i shouldnt be too concerned because she took care of a 700lb lady who ended up having a healthy child.

When I worked as a paramedic, I was talking to a lady during transport who it took 5 fireman to get her out of the house and down her stairs and she looked at me and said "your not skinny either". Another one said to me when I was questioning her about the rats eating at her toes and the roaches crawling out of her purse, she commented that at least "I am not fat like you are".

Edited by Sarah8714
added more

The worst things I ever heard about my weightcame (and still come) out of her mouth.

She lives wiht my Husband and I now... It is still a daily birage of You'd be so pretty if... You have always had such a pretty face...

But my favorite... Her sitting on the couch while I was working out - eating chocolate and laughing.

My family is the worst!

I was thin when I was in my teens and twenties and did modeling and won several beauty pageants. My mom would constantly tell me that I was gaining weight (I weighed about 115 lbs at the time).

Now I weigh 220 and she is always telling me that "if you would just lose a little weight".

My husband and I have had marital problems. We don't do anything together anymore. When I brought that up in an argument he said "well, just look at you! You don't take care of yourself anymore! "

Also, I went out to lunch with a mutual female friend and she said, "Your husband said that you were a knock out when you first got married. I would love to see some pictures".

:tt1:

I was walking from my car to the pub with my size 4 friend and my husband and some guys that were driving by just yelled "fatties". I was a size 10 which is NOT big, and I felt soooo embarrassed. I yelled back "you wish", but deep down I felt ashamed and depressed the whole night. I felt embarrassed that my husband had to hear that, my self esteem took a nosedive. It just pissess me off that women now a days have to be a size 2-4 to look "normal". When did this happen? Why??? I remember when being a size 8 -10 was normal...what's wrong with that?

I remember all of the most hurtful ones like it was yesterday...

I remember in high school going out w/ friends one night..I looked cute..cute clothes, worked a long time on my hair etc. Well, a guy(who is a jerk but friends w/ the guy I liked) said to me...why do you get so done up, people are just gonna wake up in the morning and realize you're fat.

I remember a boy in grade school saying when you cross a bridge and it says 'load limit 2 tons' do you turn around and go back or just chance it.

I remember having a health fair in the 8th grade and having to weigh in a big room w/ all my classmates. The people doing it were not careful about the numbers they wrote down so I was then called "221" for weeks afterwards.

Bloo eyes... do you and your husband still speak?? that is about the most hurtful thing I have ever heard. Where in southern cal are you. I am in Apple Valley the desert.

I live in the Inland Empire ... so just down the hill from you!

If that is your pic then can I just say this.... you are beautiful! Is your husband serious! Are you still with that jerk?.... because you can do a whole lot better for yourself than that.

Thank you for the compliment :tt1:

Yeah I'm still with the jerk ... he has learned to accept my band, he likes the new me. Now the problem is everytime I leave the house, he accuses me of going to meet someone else ... I had lunch a couple months ago with an old (female) friend from high school and he even accused me of having an affair with her! He has become seriously insecure :tt1:

I have to jump in here with my irritations. My mother in law is overweight and she ALWAYS includes me in the fat women comments. Like "us girls" like to eat or we are going on a cruise and my sister in law is like a matchstick and she is picking out some cute dresses and my mother in law said "you and me will just wear our black pants". OH how i long for the day to not be included in her fat girl club!!! i want to be the one wearing the cute dress. and I will!!!!

BOY IT FEELS GOOD to vent about her. (i hope she never reads this) :tt1:

JWRN,

I hope you will seriously consider moving out...I don't want to sound rude and I am sure your husband is not as as he amy seem, but it sounds like you should live somewhere else and your husband and mother stay where they are.