Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Went in for BAND 6*9 Liver issues NO BAND

:smile2: I went in for BAnd surgery Monday and woke up to find out NO BAND doc had some compications with my liver and after all the cuts all the pains... Im sitting here in my room with no band. He wants to wait 3 months and put me on a high protien diet and go back in If i feel still like I want to do this.. Im sooo bummmed I am depressed and I want to crawl into a hole.. ANY SUGGESTIONS..? ANYONE HEARD OF THAT..??? :smile2:

Sorry to hear that - bet you are disappointed. Because of liver problems, my doctor required two weeks on a high Protein diet before surgery. He said it was to loosen the fat around the liver and make it safer and easier surgically for him to do it. How connected are you with your doctor - might want to try another one. FYI - I also had to start a B complex Vitamin a couple of months before the surgery.

I think I would look at it like this - your surgeon did not find it "safe" for you to have the surgery whatever the reason. I think that is better than if you had it and then there were complications. I've heard that the liver has to be "flipped" over during the surgery so sometimes there are problems with the liver and the pancreas.

Lots of luck to you - try to hang in there.

that really is disappointing. but you have to look forward not back because there is nothing you can do to change what already happened. if it was me and there was something i could do in the next 3 months to get my liver ready for the operation i would do it. or else i would consider another weight loss surgery procedure. i chose the band because it was the least invasive. but after having the band if i were to lose it for any reason i would never go back to not having some form of weight loss surgery to help me lose weight.

your liver basically lays on top of the top of your stomach where the band goes around and if he can't get the liver out of the way without complications they cannot place the band.

Wow, that's so disappointing!! I'm so sorry that happened. However, I'm glad they didn't insert the band if it could possibly be dangerous. I would shop around and see what other doc's require, I know my doc does a 2wk high Protein diet to shrink the liver, what kind of pre-op were you on?

I'll be thinking about you, either way you WILL get this done! :thumbup:

Hang in there!!! :P

Michele,

You and I are on the same page regarding the liver. The doctor made it clear that I needed to take off 5-7 pounds before the surgery. I think that it did make the Clear liquids that followed a lot easier. Also, did you notice that you lost your appetite from all the Protein?

Kerry

Michele,

You and I are on the same page regarding the liver. The doctor made it clear that I needed to take off 5-7 pounds before the surgery. I think that it did make the Clear Liquids that followed a lot easier. Also, did you notice that you lost your appetite from all the Protein?

Kerry

I'm slowly trying to get used to it so I won't be shocked when I start my 2 weeks (waiting on a call for psych visit so I can submit for approval). Yes, the higher my Protein the lower my hunger, so far anyway. :thumbup:

There's no way I'm not shrinking this liver, I can't imagine waking up from surgery and being told that my band wasn't placed. My heart really hurts for pnutsmom....:P

:thumbup: I went in for BAnd surgery Monday and woke up to find out NO BAND doc had some compications with my liver and after all the cuts all the pains... Im sitting here in my room with no band. He wants to wait 3 months and put me on a high protien diet and go back in If i feel still like I want to do this.. Im sooo bummmed I am depressed and I want to crawl into a hole.. ANY SUGGESTIONS..? ANYONE HEARD OF THAT..??? :P

digestive.gif

pnuts mom, As you can see the liver lies on top of the area of the stomach that is to be banded. If the liver cannot be safely manipulated the surgeon won't do the surgery. He sounds like a wise man, so listen to him and try again in 3 months. Good luck!!

Teresa

I was on NONONONONONO!!!! type of diet before,... he said eat nothing or drink nothing after midnight. the night before the surgery. that is all.

Im working on the High protien. they said abou 50-60 protiens a day does that sound like a lot???

Thanks.... Im so bummed

Thanks for that illustration butr have you heard of my issue before.. anyone out there...??? everyone seems to wake up with a band

not me.. I got approved in two weeks... and cant get a band right now.. im bummed.

Thanks

No pre-op diet?? Hrmmm...if you're insurance is willing to pay for the procedure have you thought about seeking out another doc?? Getting a 2nd opinion maybe?? I know a lot of doctors do a pretty strict pre-op diet just for liver shrinking purposes.

Did you go to any of the list of Dr for Nutrition and Pychological evaluation and for sleep apnea? I am also surprised that you didn't have a diet before surgery. I am wondering is this his standard way of doing things? Have you spoken to other patients? How many of them had surgery but got no band. I hate to say this but he may be doing surgeries for additional money at the expense of your health and insurance. I would do some checking into this Dr ethnics. Things don't sound right. Just my opinion.

Amanda C

Yes it just happened to me in the UK :) Luckily I have a new date... it is soul destroying to know I was thisclose to being banded :(

Thanks for that illustration butr have you heard of my issue before.. anyone out there...??? everyone seems to wake up with a band

not me.. I got approved in two weeks... and cant get a band right now.. im bummed.

Thanks

Pre-op diet, common

Over sized liver in obese people, common

Waiting months to get surgery, common

Jumping through many hoops before approval, common.

Eating 75-100 grams of protien daily for the rest of your life after banding, common.

I don't mean to negate what you are feeling and hell I would have jumped at the chance to get banded two weeks after deciding to, if it were allowed. My point is there is a lot you seem not to know about this procedure. Perhaps you can use the next three months to really deeply educate yourself for what life with the band means.

You will only be that much more successful for your efforts.

Best of luck.

Wow Juli, you are such an inspiration...your weight loss is nothing less then spectacular!!

Juli has a really good point. I've been visiting this site and reading everything I can get my hands on regarding lap band. Plus, I attend local support groups for pre and post op bandsters. My surgeon was SHOCKED at the questions I asked him the last time I was in. He told me "You've been doing your homework".

I'd take Juli's advice to heart pnuts, I read her posts frequently and find her suggestions are always right on the money.