Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded on 5th June with Hosptial Group @ Bromsgrove

Hi i am new on here, and so glad i found this site, its brillant for advice etc.

I had my band fitted 3 days ago with the Hospital group @ Bromsgrove Hospital Surgeon was Martin Richardson.

I am ok actually yesterday i had pain in my left shoulder, but today it has somewhat eased. I have read all the negative comments about the hospital group on here and they did actually make me think "WHAT HAVE I DONE" but i must say i found them not too bad. I do see what people say about personnel care because it is like a bit of a production line, and the only negative i do have to say is i dont like they way they prepare you for surgery. You have to actually walk into the theatre before they put you to sleep...! (That i think could really freak some people out) but the nurses etc afterwards was fantastic and there is a nurse in particular called Elaine Downey that really did know her stuff...

Having say that i have not got a clue about how i go about getting my first fill etc and hopefully speak to the Hospital Group on Monday for information. (Maybe i might think differently after that phone call). I did only go for the £4950 package as thought that for an extra 2 and half grand the support afterwards was just not worth it. I was quite happy to pay for fills etc afterwards.

Has anyone else got any experiences with the surgeon, or bromsgrove hospital or maybe you were in the same day as me and we just didnt manage to swap numbers....

Hope you here from all you fellow bandsters out there...XXXXX

Debbie

Hi there- Good luck by the way

I'm getting banded in Belguim next month- but I have found a full 12 mnth aftercare package in england with the WLS group for £699 to include 24hr support, all fills and dietry advice etc- just though you might be interested?

Love n stuff

M.x

Hi Debbie, I got banded in dolan park on the 31st May. so just over a week ago almost at the end of the liquid tunnel! :tongue2:

I too had Elaine look after me, wasn't she lovely!

My experience so far has been all positive. The recovery has been a bit harder than expected but not through pain, which is good.

Loadsa luck for you and your new band!

Jules

xxx

Hi i am new on here, and so glad i found this site, its brillant for advice etc.

I had my band fitted 3 days ago with the Hospital group @ Bromsgrove Hospital Surgeon was Martin Richardson.

I am ok actually yesterday i had pain in my left shoulder, but today it has somewhat eased. I have read all the negative comments about the hospital group on here and they did actually make me think "WHAT HAVE I DONE" but i must say i found them not too bad. I do see what people say about personnel care because it is like a bit of a production line, and the only negative i do have to say is i dont like they way they prepare you for surgery. You have to actually walk into the theatre before they put you to sleep...! (That i think could really freak some people out) but the nurses etc afterwards was fantastic and there is a nurse in particular called Elaine Downey that really did know her stuff...

Having say that i have not got a clue about how i go about getting my first fill etc and hopefully speak to the Hospital Group on Monday for information. (Maybe i might think differently after that phone call). I did only go for the £4950 package as thought that for an extra 2 and half grand the support afterwards was just not worth it. I was quite happy to pay for fills etc afterwards.

Has anyone else got any experiences with the surgeon, or bromsgrove hospital or maybe you were in the same day as me and we just didnt manage to swap numbers....

Hope you here from all you fellow bandsters out there...XXXXX

Debbie

Hi Debbie, Glad to see your post online. I had hoped to have my surgery the same day as you but dragged my heels a bit with the deposit and lost the bedspace... now I am having it done on the 20th... I like you are having Martin Richardson.. How did you find him. I was a bit wary as beforhand I coulnt find much info on him but at my consultation in London he seemed really nice. What time did you check out of Dolan Park the morning after your op?

How were you after the band was fitted were you up and about ok later that day. Its so nice to read a post from someone who has had the surgeon I am going to be having. How are you feeling now? Are you hungry on the liquids? Where do you live, I was told about having fills done in London for £125 each but was hoping to find a more local place that I can drive to for them as getting the train into central London can be a bit of a pain. I live in west sussex.

Really hope you are feeling well and good luck on your weight loss journey...

Georgina xx

Hi Georgina, so nice to hear from you. Wowww the 20th is only a few days away. I'm doing alright, havent been in much pain at all, was ok after a couple of days. I thought Mr Richardson was brill, he explained everything and even took my stupid jokes.. (quite often play the foul when i am nervous..!).. he came to see before the op and after to make sure i was feelin ok.

I was 2nd from last on the list on my day of surgery and they had two cases left over from the day before, so i didnt get into theatre until 5pm, i left the next day at about 8am...

4 days in i am surprisingly ok, just aches a bit if i try and do too much and the most annoyin thing to wear at the moment is a underwired bra...!!!!! but was back at work today ....

Must admit i havent until today thought about band fills etc, but i live in reading so a train to London is quite easy for me, i need to hunt around...

Are you getting nervous now, how is the Pre op diet going...? Dont panick about it too much, mr richardson said i could do the 1000cal a day diet cause my BMI wasnt really that high, and too be honest i did have a little cheat a few times.

Well nice to hear from you, stay in touch and feel free to ask me anything...X

Hi, i too got banded in bromesgrove on 31st may. My surgeon was mr surggerson.

The only complaint i had was all the bloody flies.

The walk to surgery didnt bother me i think i was excited but when i had to sat outside the room and wait 5mins for them to prep i did start to panic.....

Eliane was lovely to me but what i would say was discharge was bad ! ! My nurse dark skin (dawn) didnt have a clue and kept saying youll be fine, youll be fine. Instead i wanted to no where and when would i receive my follow up appointments and she said later, later, i left on that sunday morning not having a clue what would happen next.

The hospital did ring me 3 days later to see how i was and did i had any questions and she did answer them all, why dawn couldnt is beyound me.

I booked my surgery with why go aboard to 4,950.00 a burgain.....

Hope you keep well and keep intouch.

Hi Debbie,

Great to hear back from you and I am so pleased you are doing well.

Mr Richardson said I too can do the 1000 cal diet (whoops made a mistake with my 000`s then and wrote 10000 cals!!! forgot that was obviously the diet I had been on for years!!! haha!!!) .....which I think I am finding better than I would the milk diet. only 10 days to go now!!! My BMI was just under 36..... to a lot of people that wont seem terribly high but I just cant shift it, I have a huge appetite and my BMI is steadily going up and up with diet I manage to maintain but I really want to lose and be slim again!!

Keep up the great work everyone... your all doing soooo well.. I cant wait to join you.

with love

Georgina

PS keep in touch with how your doing

Hi georgina

Yep my BMI is just under 36 now it is 34..!!! liquid diet is doing some good..!!! I must admit today i am dyin to just eat something, just the chewing bit i miss, i even licked a crisp earlier just to get a taste in my mouth, but dont worry ladies i didnt swallow it...!!!!!

Roll on next Thursday is what i say to have some scrambled egg or something, but i know i am on a long journey and this is a marathon and not a sprint...!

Hi Cathy

How are you doing...? i must say as the days going by it is getting easier for me.

Have you started the soft food diet yet...?

Be good to hear how u are getting on...X

Hi Cathy, i just sent you a private message.... (i know new to this game)... Be nice to hear back from you... X

hi debbie, sorry i not been intouch ive been ill, ive picked the baby up on tues outside school and what i thought pulled my muscles, but infact ive dislogged the port around my bellybutton and im in agonie. Had to contact dolan park and im on bed rest for 2 wks if no better had to see the surgeon, im shitting myself. Was doing so well, this sat i start my mush food 2-4wks im doing well on the Soups ! ! ! case of having too. I HAVE FORGOTTEN TWICE AND EATEN QUAVER OFF THE BABY ! ! keep intouch, cathy.

Oh Cathy my love, that sounds so painful.... !! Its so difficult with kids, my 2 year old wants to be picked up all the time and i keep forgetting, but now you've said that i think i will take extra care.

Make sure you rest for 2 weeks (i know this is difficult with kids around)... but your health is very important, i'm sure you will be fine and once the port heals in place, but at least you have done nothing to the band....eh...!!!

Thinking about it my port is very close to the skin, i can push it and feel it straight away, so i am concerned that it is going to kinda stick out once i have lost some weight, it is so close to the underwire of my bra too that at the moment if i am at home i have to take it off...... U can tell a man done our operation eh, but other than that no complaints.... ;o)))

hello ladies

i am thinking of going to bromsgrove and Mr Richardson - what are your thoughts a few years down the line - how do you all feel now - ups & downs ......

hello ladies

i am thinking of going to bromsgrove and Mr Richardson - what are your thoughts a few years down the line - how do you all feel now - ups & downs ......

Hi, Im booked in for the 3rd June 2012 eeeekk!! Nervous and excited at the same time. I'm having mine done at Dolan Park by Mr Halsted. I agree it would be nice to hear from you ladies who had it done a while ago and find out how your doing?? :)