Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm here to help...

I'm having the surgery .I am not going to let inconsiderate staff stop me from this important move in my life.

Morning to everyone... It seems like I'm slowly getting a bit better... I sleep well, but the pain stops me in the morning until the meds kick in... I just have the most awful side ache... But I've managed to get dressed and straighten up the bedroom and put some laundry away... Now I need to sit for awhile... and I need some food.. I can feel the shakiness set in....

Bugs, you need to quit letting others attitudes affect yours... You know what's right for you.... you go for it.. You have us here to help you past those negative people.... Good luck..

If, I'm loving your stories... Can just see you singing and dancing in the choir!!!

I'm envious of all the exercise you all are getting, but I'll just have to wait again.. I'm doing well just getting around the house I guess..... Take care... TTYL...Julie

I'm having the surgery .I am not going to let inconsiderate staff stop me from this important move in my life.

Bugs, only you can make this decision for yourself. You can get advice from others but don't let others attitudes affect your decision one bit. You do the research and you decide what is best for you. Have you done that? If so, and you believe this is the tool you need, go for it. I know it has changed my life for the better and something I'd do again in a heartbeat. One thing that we or at least I tended to do especially when at my heaviest is be the victim and I'd make up more excuses as to why I could or couldn't do something. Someone could look at me wrong and I'd let that sway me from if I ever went back some place, etc. The surgeon you have picked is the one doing the surgery not the rude office staff. Sure it's awful they are that way and you might have to fight afterwards for your appts etc. but if it were me, I'd want the best available surgeon to operate on me and one that fits my personality, I'd deal with the office folks later. Best of luck to you in whatever way you decide. You've come to a great place for support.

I know I made the right decision to have surgery I think I just needed to my feeling validated by the Dr's staff . I also know that with everyone support I can get through this. Does anyone have suggestions on what to bring the day of surgery?:):)

Laura Congrats on your loss - I am a firm firm beleiver in keeping a food long - I did it for the 1st year.

When I looked in the mirror prior to losing the weight I saw a fat chick - but not as fat as I really was.. This whole thing that fat pple can be healthy - well - I just don't know about that - ya when pple are younger their obesity doesn't stop them as much cuz they are younger - but like Cheri said for us older ones it does start gettting in the way of our lives physically...

I know that you don't see the diff right now - but you will

There is no magic # where you look and see a skinny chick

But one day you will wake up and say - Oh I see it now - it may take a few more lbs for that to happen - but once the stomach goes - you will - I don't think I am explaining it correctly - Im not fully awake - but the realization will come.

But I have days that I say oh i'm fat - but I know I'm not

We Can see the diff and the closer your get to your goal you will to.

Janet~ Thanks. I hear you. Some days I FEEL it definitely when lying down and can feel my hip bones... or putting an old pair of pants on that finally fit. I know the visual will change eventually. But you are right... until the pooch is down it is a hindrance in the visual. Even before your coffee, I get you. :)

Good morning gang~ Last night I had my first PB in a LONG time. I had only had 3 bites of dinner- fish (grilled grouper), steamed broccoli, 2 of nelson's frenchfries. I have had a couple fries in the past (oreda steak fries) and done ok. I think I didn't chew well or something. OMG.... pain, like you wouldn't believe. Then SLIME... like you wouldn't believe. Then more pain, until tears were coming out my eyes. Went to the BR just to spit and take some deep breaths, but no go. What was so bad this time was that instead of literally a PB, this was the first time since surgery that I vomited/felt my stomch really twisting. I was nauseated the next couple hours. Finally about 3 hrs later I was able to drink sips ok, then had a 1/2 Cup of Soup. Hour later a yogurt. BIG SIGH. It's funny in a way, b/c I was JUST about to make an appt for a fill! Then an episode like that tells you you might not need one. I feel ok this morning.

Well, 2 more lbs down this morning. Not so sure it is real weight though after dinner's episode or some dehydration. But nevertheless the scale said 243! And the ticker says 69 lost 68 to go!!! woohoo, half way!!! Lowest in a LONG LONG time! And here is the clincher.... I WEIGH LESS THAN MY HUSBAND!!!!!!!! He is 245. His highest was 279 at the time of my surgery and he has been losing slowly but surely, but slowed down these last few weeks. He won't say, but I almost think, he was slowing down for me!:)

Back from the gym. Did only 15 min. on my step tread and then an hour long POOL-ates. (like Pilates) but in the pool! It was nice, but sun was hot. Only problem with outside Water class in Florida!

Yeah, Apples where are you?!

CBL!

Laura

Bugs~ congrats on deciding to have surgery! We wish you the best of luck!

What to Pack For the Hospital:

Comfortable pajamas/gown- muumuu (loose fitting is best)

Socks and slippers

Glasses & glasses case

Outfit to wear home (something loose is best, also make sure it won’t rub on your incision)

Underwear although truth be told I didn't wear any for a while after surgery, too hard to pull up!

Toothbrush and toothpaste, deoderant,Hairbrush

Your pillow (if you don’t sleep well with a pillow other than your own)

A list of your current medications

Your cell phone and a charger (some hospitals still charge for phone calls)

Entertainment such as books, music, Ipod, portable DVD player, magazines, laptop (so you can let us know how you are doing via LBT)

If you are one who gets hot, bring a small fan.

Thanks for the suggestions I'll let everyone know how I'm doing after I get home. I think one of the hardest parts will be Sunday when I have just have clear fluids. :)

Hi everyone. Had a .250 cc fill yesterday - I love that my surgeon will give me teeny tiny fills, he's very good at listening to me. I spent the afternoon at the hospital with my friend and she is doing okay. They are doing a pet scan tomorrow -- and then she'll probably be coming home. She's doing very well considering her diagnosis. It brings up a lot of other memories for me as my mom also died of lung cancer six years ago. I need to adjust my ticker and go with my surgeon's goal for me -- I never had asked him before what his goal for me was so he checked the file yesterday and told me 132, so I'll change my ticker to that and if I can and want to lose more, so be it, but if not, I'll be happy with that - that'll be 113 from where I started. Bugs, as everyone else has stated, don't let your surgeon's staff deprive you of your decision to get the band. In looking back to how uncertain I was, I think, "wow, am I ever glad I didn't let that stop me!" So hang in there, you only have to see those people once every 6 weeks or so, so don't let them discourage you -- in fact use it to your advantage by showing them what a FANTASTIC patient/bander you'll be. Julie, you sound like you're doing very well -- hang in there, soon you'll be sweatin bullets like the rest of us. Ordered some new walking tapes cause I was so sick of my old one and truly, the new one I tried today was great and got me enjoying it again. Laura, I thought you're pics were amazing -- congratulations on your loss -- you've done a fantastic job! I've never let my weight stop me either -- I love to swim too much to ever stop, so even though my bathing suit size before I got the band was a 30, I still put it on and went to the beach/pool. I too had told myself I was fine with being fat, but truly I was absolutely miserable and only said that to cover the fact that I felt like an out of control eating maniac. I felt fat Monday all day and all night and was still feeling fat Tuesday morning. But, I got on the scale and I was down 2 lbs. so that fat feeling went away immediately. LOL. Bugs, the only think Laura forgot on her packing for the hospital list is Gas X strips. You'll defintely need them if you stay overnight in the hospital as I did. If you go home the same day, you probably don't need to take them, but be sure to have them on hand for when you get home. Hope everyone has a great day. CBL. Linda

Hi everyone. Had a .250 cc fill yesterday - I love that my surgeon will give me teeny tiny fills, he's very good at listening to me. I spent the afternoon at the hospital with my friend and she is doing okay. They are doing a pet scan tomorrow -- and then she'll probably be coming home. She's doing very well considering her diagnosis. It brings up a lot of other memories for me as my mom also died of lung cancer six years ago. I need to adjust my ticker and go with my surgeon's goal for me -- I never had asked him before what his goal for me was so he checked the file yesterday and told me 132, so I'll change my ticker to that and if I can and want to lose more, so be it, but if not, I'll be happy with that - that'll be 113 from where I started....

Laura, I thought you're pics were amazing -- congratulations on your loss -- you've done a fantastic job! I've never let my weight stop me either -- I love to swim too much to ever stop, so even though my bathing suit size before I got the band was a 30, I still put it on and went to the beach/pool. I too had told myself I was fine with being fat, but truly I was absolutely miserable and only said that to cover the fact that I felt like an out of control eating maniac. I felt fat Monday all day and all night and was still feeling fat Tuesday morning. But, I got on the scale and I was down 2 lbs. so that fat feeling went away immediately.

Hope everyone has a great day. CBL. Linda

Linda~ Congrats on the fill and the loss! That is so awesome! It is great that your surgeon will do tiny fills. I have no doubt you will reach and surpass your goal weight!

We are home! DH had surgery at 2pm yesterday. He is doing so well that Dr. Davis released him. The drive home gave him some discomfort, but it was probably my driving gave him anxiety. Thanks for your prayers and concerns.

Charlene -- so glad to hear the great news!! Congratulation your DH for us!! Glad everything went well. Linda

We are home! DH had surgery at 2pm yesterday. He is doing so well that Dr. Davis released him. The drive home gave him some discomfort, but it was probably my driving gave him anxiety. Thanks for your prayers and concerns.

Oh Charlene~ What fastastic news! I am sure he has the BEST person in the world caring for him now! Tell him we all said GET WELL SOON!

~Laura

Morning to everyone... It seems like I'm slowly getting a bit better... I sleep well, but the pain stops me in the morning until the meds kick in... I just have the most awful side ache... But I've managed to get dressed and straighten up the bedroom and put some laundry away... Now I need to sit for awhile... and I need some food.. I can feel the shakiness set in....

Bugs, you need to quit letting others attitudes affect yours... You know what's right for you.... you go for it.. You have us here to help you past those negative people.... Good luck..

If, I'm loving your stories... Can just see you singing and dancing in the choir!!!

I'm envious of all the exercise you all are getting, but I'll just have to wait again.. I'm doing well just getting around the house I guess..... Take care... TTYL...Julie

I'm so glad you're recovering. Don't push it too hard. I'm still losing weight even though my arthritis is preventing me from doing anything more than walk. I think my herniated disc in my neck is acting up. I may need to get an epidural.

I know I made the right decision to have surgery I think I just needed to my feeling validated by the Dr's staff . I also know that with everyone support I can get through this. Does anyone have suggestions on what to bring the day of surgery?:):)

Congratulations on making a healthy choice for you.

Janet~ Thanks. I hear you. Some days I FEEL it definitely when lying down and can feel my hip bones... or putting an old pair of pants on that finally fit. I know the visual will change eventually. But you are right... until the pooch is down it is a hindrance in the visual. Even before your coffee, I get you. :)

Good morning gang~ Last night I had my first PB in a LONG time. I had only had 3 bites of dinner- fish (grilled grouper), steamed broccoli, 2 of nelson's frenchfries. I have had a couple fries in the past (oreda steak fries) and done ok. I think I didn't chew well or something. OMG.... pain, like you wouldn't believe. Then SLIME... like you wouldn't believe. Then more pain, until tears were coming out my eyes. Went to the BR just to spit and take some deep breaths, but no go. What was so bad this time was that instead of literally a PB, this was the first time since surgery that I vomited/felt my stomch really twisting. I was nauseated the next couple hours. Finally about 3 hrs later I was able to drink sips ok, then had a 1/2 Cup of Soup. Hour later a yogurt. BIG SIGH. It's funny in a way, b/c I was JUST about to make an appt for a fill! Then an episode like that tells you you might not need one. I feel ok this morning.

Well, 2 more lbs down this morning. Not so sure it is real weight though after dinner's episode or some dehydration. But nevertheless the scale said 243! And the ticker says 69 lost 68 to go!!! woohoo, half way!!! Lowest in a LONG LONG time! And here is the clincher.... I WEIGH LESS THAN MY HUSBAND!!!!!!!! He is 245. His highest was 279 at the time of my surgery and he has been losing slowly but surely, but slowed down these last few weeks. He won't say, but I almost think, he was slowing down for me!:)

Back from the gym. Did only 15 min. on my step tread and then an hour long POOL-ates. (like Pilates) but in the pool! It was nice, but sun was hot. Only problem with outside Water class in Florida!

Yeah, Apples where are you?!

CBL!

Laura

I finally figured out the PB is puke back. Am I right? The pain is awful and getting slimed is disgusting.

I'm so happy for your both.

Hey everyone!

It looks like all of you are doing really well! I'm so happy for all of the losses that everyone had this week! Awesome. Just wanted to stop in and say "hello". I've been tired lately after work and school in the summer is kicking my butt. I despise it. Other than that, everything is great. Down 27 pounds and happy! Hopefully by next Thursday when I go to the Dr. to get my incision checked out I will be down 30 and be able to put another bead on my bracelet! It is great incentive. I will CBL and see what going on. Just got home from work and need to do some reading.

Oh, btw MUSHIES TOMORROW!!!!!! Any suggestions on what I should try first? I think I still really want the crushed lentil Soup that i've been talking about so much. I'm kinda nervous about this whole food thing. What if I stop losing?

~Meredith

Arlene, So glad DH is doing so well!! Now he has an excellent nurse to take care of him and how lucky for the 2 of you to be able to travel this path together.

Meredith, I don't want to be a naysayer, but also want you to be prepared. Many people do stop losing when they start the mushies. I know I totally panicked. I was losing so much so fast during my liquid phase then started mushies and it stopped for about 2 or 3 weeks. I was in a major panic thinking I just had major freaking surgery for this???? But never fear, that too shall pass, I found out reading the boards and stuff here that is very common until you get your first fill. Your body is kindda in shock and just sortta slows down. My first mushy was egg beaters and then later that day refried Beans. I was so nervous and they tasted so good. Just go slow, but am sure you will do fine, you've been a model patient so far, well except for the olive incident. :):):)

IYSOFU, PB = Productive Burp, it's when food gets stuck and you more or less burp it back up. Like vomiting but it's just the food and no stomach acids etc. involved generally.

Buns, I never needed to pack a thing for the hospital I was in and out in about 4 1/2 hours. It would depend on if you are staying the night. I barely woke up and was on my way home. But if you wear reading glasses bring those as you may have to sign more forms. I forgot mine and had to rely on others to read them too me. And leave all jewelry at home.