Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have failed!!

I had my surgery on January 2006 and have not lost any weight! :wink2: My doctor did not put me on any special diet and told me that my band would tell me when to stop eating

I can't eat anything in the morning (I even have a hard time drinking hot tea) and at lunch it takes me about an hour and a half to eat a WW dinner. For supper, I usually eat pretty good, but sometimes I have a hard time and it takes me a long time to eat. I am use to cold food.< /p>

I have tried joining WW which is not working (that is why I had this surgery) and things are so depressing... I have had 3 fills one un-fill and 2 more fills.

I am self paid and will be paying on this unsuccessful surgery for 3 more years.

Is anyone else out there having the same problems?

I'm sorry to hear what you are going through.

Have you been tested for Hypothyroidism? My friend has that, even though she has not been banded, she can NOT loose weight no matter what she does. My Dr. has the same and is in the same boat. My Mother has HYPER which does the exact opposite; you can’t keep the weight on. I would check with your Dr. and have them run a TSH (I think that is what it is called) either way tell them you want to be tested for this ASAP!

Guest Leslie2Lose

I can't believe your doctor didn't give you an eating plan. My doc stresses the importance of eating right. Protein First, Fruits/Veggies Second, then all the rest. I try to get in at least 50-60 grams of Protein a day, my Calcium and fruits and veggies. I also take daily Vitamins. I've only been banded a short time and get frustrated when the scale won't move. I can't imagine what you are going through.

I have a hypothyroid condition and have been on medication for three years. If you are on your medication and your condition has been stabilized and blood tests normal then you should have no problem losing weight - I've been able to lose consistantly even without the band. Losing was never my issue - it was sustaining the weight loss. I'd yo-yo, even on WW.

I hate you are having such a hard time. Have you considered going to a different doctor for an evaluation? I hope you can find a solution.

I am having the same problem. Had surgery -06 and I have lost 5 lbs. I am able to eat pretty much anything. I have had 3 small fills. When I first start eating I can't seem to get it down for 10 or 15 minutes but after that it's all I can eat. I know a big part of my problem is I am eating some of the wrong foods so I blame myself. Until just recently I couldn't eat any bread at all and now I can eat whole sandwiches. I know the band is there because I can feel it stop food right away but then it seems to open up and l can eat a complete full meal. I am very frustrated. Is anyone else having this problem.

I read this other posting somewhere, and this other bander didnt loose hardly anything the first 3 months, then all the sudden the weight dropped like flies! She was thinking that maybe her body had to get used to her not treating it has she always did. ALWAYS eating the wrong things, eating way more than she should, AND yo-yo dieting. Maybe that is what you are going through???? Just a thought...

Hang in there! You can do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for replying. I was doing pretty good in the first few months. I don't know I blame myself for eating the wrong things. I just wish I wasn't able to eat as much as I can. I'm not dieting because I know that won't work. I start out trying to eat right but I guess I'm able to each too much of even the right thing. Just wish the after 10 or 15 minutes after the first bite the band would hold tight and not let everything go down. It's like it stops the food and then it loosens and this happens at every meal so I know the band is there just wondering if this happens to anyone else.

You shouldnt still be eating after an hour - most people, if they eat slowly enough, will find their band starts to let food through and after a certain period of time, it can happen than you can just keep eating.

After about 20 minutes, finish eating and try to not eat till the next meal. You probably would do well to strictly observe the not eating and drinking together rule too.

My doc gave me no eating plan either, they dont in Australia, its just an eat healthy foods in small portions policy. That should work, but sometimes our bodies dont work like they should be working. Do you exercise? My DH is about to be banded and I have been riding him on this, because I can see that he will be a VERY slow loser unless he really makes a commitment to hard exercise - because he got fat in the first place eating what I consider a quite normal amount of food for a 6ft 3 male. Sitting at a desk all day is his problem.

Good luck, hopefully with a few tweaks you can get things moving but if not I would be checking out stuff like your thyroid.

I think that if I can do that it will certainly help. My doctor told me after 30 minutes no more food. I guess thats my problem. I have always eaten slowly but now I am really taking my time and enjoying it all. The problem is I'm eating it all. I'm going to make a consious effort after 30 minutes to push it away, pack it up or throw it out. Tomorrows a new day. Thanks for all the replys. I haven't posted anything in the past and it's been over 2 years. Who knows this might just be the thing I need. THANKS

Hi! I'm new to the site, so please be patient with me :tt2:. I had surgery November 2005. I was weighting 240 at the time. I am now 194. I had gone down to 172 last summer but over the last year I have slowly put weight back on. I haven't been back to my dr since last summer. I know this is ridiculous but I'm ashamed to go to him as a failure! I have succeeded in losing 50 lbs which is great but I have dreams of losing another 40. I'm having the hardest time. It seems some days I can eat anything and as much of it as I want and on other days I'll take one bite of something and I'll be vomiting. Any advice out there?

Good advise. I'm off on a cruise in a week. I think I'll make an appointment for the day I get back. I don't want to be out in the middle of nowhere and need medical attention. I think I'll love this website and see a long relationship with you all. Thanks.

Dear Fergie,

It's never too late to succeed with your band! You still have the tool in place, you probably just need to brush up on your band habits, like those suggested above, and get another fill if you need it. You are not a failure unless you fail to keep trying...I think every one of us has a long history of dieting, losing, gaining it back, then feeling like a failure..However, kudos to every one of us (including YOU) for NOT saying it's the end, deciding to try again, and again, and again if necessary. It's taken me a lifetime to find this band which is working well for me. I had given up many times along the way, but SO glad I gave it one more try!! You will too. You can do this, I just know it!!! When you need help, just ask! This site is so full of wonderful people who are great encouragers. Soon YOU will encourage others too, I can just tell! After all, it tookg reat courage to post how you were feeling! YAY! First step over ....now one step at a time to good health!!

Blessings, Mary

Hi

I had my surgery in Sept. 2006, I did pretty well with my surgery, then 2010 hit, it was downhill from there. I have gained back all my weight. My doctor insists the steroids I am on, I have Lupus, Rheumatoid & Osteo Arthritis, The steroid are for the Lupus amongst other Medications. I was so happy being thinner. Now I walk 2 - 2 1/2 miles a day, and not losing anything, I am even eating more balanced meals then I ever had, and just keep gaining.

So I hear you, it is a lifetime battle. I did think this would have worked forever. I am pretty full 4 cc band w/ 3.25 full. Any fuller I would not be able to hold anything down.

Good Luck to you in getting your lapband to work.

Are you guys measuring your food (1 cup or less per meal)? Are you writing down what you're eating (how much calories, Protein etc)??