Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Surgery Day Stories

Day of surgery. Checked-in at my 8:30 time. Got dressed into my cute hospital gown. Had my mom and Husband with me. Great nurse taking care of me. As she was asking questions, we overheard this conversation from one of the other nurses on staff... kinda went like this:

"ya, they had his throat slight from side to side, with a lot of stitches. They had to shave his chest to get the electrodes on. I didn't realize they had shaved his butt until he hopped up into the truck... eek.gif"

At that particular moment we all had this strange look on our faces, then my nurse realized, "oh, she's talking about her dog!" - ROFL - LOL I thought she was talking about her father or something, and couldn't imagine how after such a surgery he was jumping up into the truck, and couldn't figure out why she saw his butt as shaved tongue.gif

ok, so I got wheeled into the OR at 10:40, was out seconds later, and awoke around 12:15 in the recovery room. Now I wasn't necessarily in pain as much as I was nauseous... and I did not want to puke. Every time I was to sit up, I would feel sick, that general anaesthesia was not friendly to me -yuck. As I began to wake, I thought to myself, why did I do this (because I felt horrible). Now, two days later, I am much better, this is worth that day of discomfort!

I've heard many stories where the lapband patient was able to get up, walk around and go home that same day... there is no way I could have gone home. Even when they tried to walk me at 9:00pm, I had to dry heave. I am glad that my insurance required that I stay in the hospital over night... really glad.

By 4am, I was able to get up and walk... so that is what I did! Two hours later I was walking again and feeling great (on pain meds, of course) Had the barium swallow at 9:00 ish (absolutely disgusting!!! - they flavored mine with raspberry ice Crystal light - still nasty.) Then when I got the the room I had my first "meal" a whole three oz of Protein drink, the problem was, I was so full from the barium, that it was so difficult to get all that down... but I did, my body needed it. By 10:00 I was discharged and my mom and I set out for my house.

Waiting for me at home were my two baby girls, who had fevers of 100* - 102* frown.gif so sad.

post-273811-13813138718003_thumb.jpg

post-273811-13813138718271_thumb.jpg

I know I didn't read every story posted in this thread, but I read several pages. I didn't come across a single one that prepared me for what I experienced.

Now, I will say in advance that the only time I have ever been in a hospital before was when I was 6 and had my tonsils out. I am almost 50 now. And I have always had a very weak stomach. Couldn't even watch MASH when it was in its original run because it was too bloody. But I have matured some over the years (I enjoy MASH reruns) and felt I was ready for this.

I was banded on Monday, Sept. 14. They did find a small hernia that they stitched up, but otherwise it was standard procedure. Everything went pretty much how others have said it would go. Except for my mental state. I was totally unprepared for the pain, the gas, the regret, the sense of having assaulted my body.

I'm not sure I'll ever get to the point that I think what I've been through was worth it. I am finally on an upswing and feel like I might survive. I turned a corner yesterday, mostly in part probably thanks to my dear hubby who unwittingly guilt tripped me into leaving the house. We went, of all places, to the grocery store. It was hard, but I was glad I did it afterward.

I have never experienced anxiety or panic attacks until this experience. I have to get a hard handle on my emotions to even take a shower. I have to hold one hand up against my chest so I can't see my incisions. I've had a total of two showers since my surgery.

I'm still experiencing the occasional gas pain. I've developed a kind of rash in certain parts of my body. I was supposed to go back to work today, but I can't even dress myself yet.

I applaud all of you who managed this procedure so well and only wish I was one of you. I know all this sounds like whining, and it is, I guess. But I have to whine to someone and I feel like those who have yet to come need to know that if their experience isn't like the majority, they aren't alone. Because I feel very alone, like a social outcast.

I will say my hospital stay was just as I was lead to expect. It went seamlessly, except for the hospital not having the insurance approval when I arrived Monday morning. the lady was nice though and did not force me to sign a waiver, and my husband told me that while he was waiting for them to give him my room number, the woman told him it had come through. The staff were all kind. The pre op room was crowded, but the hospital is planning to rennovate. I was unable to convince anyone to give me some anti anxiety med before general anesthesia as I'd been led to hope might happen. They didn't want me to have any meds until I'd spoken with the surgeon and shortly after that I was on the move, so then the point was moot.

I don't think if I had been sent home the same day I would have ever gotten out of bed, or the recliner in my case. My motivation to get up and move was "R" -- the male bariatric nurse who works with my dr. and was there for the surgery, followed me to my room, came back for a long chat after I was settled. He had warned me at the support group earlier in the month (he runs those too) that he would be there to get me moving. He offered a sugar free popsicle for every three laps around the floor. Being on pain meds, that was a good motivation and I probably did more than I would have had I not had the meds. I was lucky that the charge nurse for that night had to have dental surgery and couldn't cover his shift, so "R" filled in for him, so he came back by later in the evening, another motivator to get up and move around. He came back in the morning before I was discharged to go over some last minute things. I was the only patient the day of my surgery, so perhaps we got his undivided attention. But he was in no rush even considering he worked the day before and over night.

I hope I can come back at some point in time and write another post proclaiming that time makes a difference.

We'll see.

I'm sorry that you have had such a bad experience. But, count your blessings in a few things..one thing your insurance paid for it, most of us had to pay for it ourselves and second, based on your BMI on your ticker tape it looks like (like ME!!) you do have a lot to lose and as you do you will feel better than you have for a long time!! You will discover energy, vitality..NEW CLOTHES!!! If you are still on pain meds, is it possible they are giving you a really bad case of DEPRESSION???? That can happen and maybe that's what's happening. Get some GASX strips for the gas and drop down to liquid Tylenol. If it's been a week you are probably ready for that. Meds can have a really bad effect on our bodies sometimes. Get better and I hope every day adds a little more sunshine into your life. I have lost 130 pounds, half my body weight and it was one of the best things I have ever done. (and I had to pay $18,000 +!) My blood pressure is LOW, my cholesterol is LOW, my pulse is LOW..my dress size is LOW!!! woohoo!! It really IS worth it!! If it wasn't you wouldn't have done it in the first place. Take care!! Denise:smile2:

I know I didn't read every story posted in this thread, but I read several pages. I didn't come across a single one that prepared me for what I experienced.

Now, I will say in advance that the only time I have ever been in a hospital before was when I was 6 and had my tonsils out. I am almost 50 now. And I have always had a very weak stomach. Couldn't even watch MASH when it was in its original run because it was too bloody. But I have matured some over the years (I enjoy MASH reruns) and felt I was ready for this.

I was banded on Monday, Sept. 14. They did find a small hernia that they stitched up, but otherwise it was standard procedure. Everything went pretty much how others have said it would go. Except for my mental state. I was totally unprepared for the pain, the gas, the regret, the sense of having assaulted my body.

I'm not sure I'll ever get to the point that I think what I've been through was worth it. I am finally on an upswing and feel like I might survive. I turned a corner yesterday, mostly in part probably thanks to my dear hubby who unwittingly guilt tripped me into leaving the house. We went, of all places, to the grocery store. It was hard, but I was glad I did it afterward.

I have never experienced anxiety or panic attacks until this experience. I have to get a hard handle on my emotions to even take a shower. I have to hold one hand up against my chest so I can't see my incisions. I've had a total of two showers since my surgery.

I'm still experiencing the occasional gas pain. I've developed a kind of rash in certain parts of my body. I was supposed to go back to work today, but I can't even dress myself yet.

I applaud all of you who managed this procedure so well and only wish I was one of you. I know all this sounds like whining, and it is, I guess. But I have to whine to someone and I feel like those who have yet to come need to know that if their experience isn't like the majority, they aren't alone. Because I feel very alone, like a social outcast.

I will say my hospital stay was just as I was lead to expect. It went seamlessly, except for the hospital not having the insurance approval when I arrived Monday morning. the lady was nice though and did not force me to sign a waiver, and my husband told me that while he was waiting for them to give him my room number, the woman told him it had come through. The staff were all kind. The pre op room was crowded, but the hospital is planning to rennovate. I was unable to convince anyone to give me some anti anxiety med before general anesthesia as I'd been led to hope might happen. They didn't want me to have any meds until I'd spoken with the surgeon and shortly after that I was on the move, so then the point was moot.

I don't think if I had been sent home the same day I would have ever gotten out of bed, or the recliner in my case. My motivation to get up and move was "R" -- the male bariatric nurse who works with my dr. and was there for the surgery, followed me to my room, came back for a long chat after I was settled. He had warned me at the support group earlier in the month (he runs those too) that he would be there to get me moving. He offered a sugar free popsicle for every three laps around the floor. Being on pain meds, that was a good motivation and I probably did more than I would have had I not had the meds. I was lucky that the charge nurse for that night had to have dental surgery and couldn't cover his shift, so "R" filled in for him, so he came back by later in the evening, another motivator to get up and move around. He came back in the morning before I was discharged to go over some last minute things. I was the only patient the day of my surgery, so perhaps we got his undivided attention. But he was in no rush even considering he worked the day before and over night.

I hope I can come back at some point in time and write another post proclaiming that time makes a difference.

We'll see.

Denise,

Thank you for the encouragement.

I've been off the Percoset since Saturday. I agree, that was probably giving me some of the anxiety attacks.

I'm actually feeling pretty "Normal" now, but it was a very long week. I posted those feelings because I want others who might feel that way to know they aren't alone.

I spoke with my sister in law last night and her hubby had by pass a number of years ago and experienced the same doubts immediately after. Now he says it's the best thing he's done for himself. It was just nice to hear that someone else experienced doubt for a while afterward.

Hi. I had my surgery yesterday on 9/23/2009. I had to be at the hospital by 5:30 am and the surgery started at 7:30 am. I was the first case. I remember getting versed and being asked to breathe into a mask. the next thing i knew i woke up in the pacu around 1130 but i think i was there longer. then i was put in my room. the pain wasn't as bad as i thought but it was pain none the less. I had about 5 cuts in my belly and they are making me use the incentive spirometer so i wont get pneumonia. it does hurt like heck to deep breathe and cough- i will say that. ive been walking back and forth to the bathroom and walked the hall twice. i do plan to walk it 3 x before i go home around 1 pm. All in all- I didnt think it was a bad surgery at all. i was jut dry heaving last nite but i feel okay this morning. didnt want to stay in the hospital overnite but glad i did. had little gas pain and they are advancing me from medicine cups of crystal lite to liquid Soup and Protein Drinks so we'll see how that goes. Alright to all those with upcoming surgeries my prayers are with you and i'm sure you're all be fine!

Hi everyone, this is a great thread so glad someone thought to open it.

I was banded on 9-16-09, my husband took me and we aarrived at 8:45 am I was scheduled for 10:45. After checking in and getting my lovely wrist band I went to another room where I was given a johnny and pant and a robe YAY to put on, then some blood drawn and my vitals. Then we waited, my husband was so nervous he couldnt stop talking,lol. I had an RN come get me about 1/2 hour late and away we went to the holding room. She gave me some meds , they were for nausea, pain, keeping Fluid from my abdomen and 2 others I cant remember. After that she strated my IV. She was in an incredibly good mood and it kept me smiling. I had someone from anestesia come in and explain to me what was going to happen when I arrived in the OR, and then I waited. It was around 11:30 before I went anywhere but thats ok, we were very busy doing all those other things. Time just flew by. I was taken to the OR it was HUGE and I can remember alot of people in there moving around. I had some assistance moving to the table because they gave me something in my IV right before we left the holding room to make me relaaaaaaax, and relax I did. Thye put my arms out and the anestesioligist was tlaking to me about going to sleep he put a mask on my face and that was it, I woke up rolling into the recovery room. I was immediately asked if I had any pain, no, I didnt. I was asked several more times if I had pain ,and I didnt. they did an xray and then about 1 hour later they sent me to a room, it was PRIVATE, YAY! My hubby was there napping,lol. He woke up we talked they asked if I had pain, no I didnt. I was given some ice chips mmmmmmmm. About 3 hours later I had peed and they let hubby help me get dressed and I went home. After we got home I sat on the porch and watched my chickens and talked with my son and then went in and went to bed. I have only had 1 day of pain, postop day 2, I had gas and it was in my upper left back, walking didnt touch it so I took my pain meds and they helped alot. I am now 8 days out and feel great, I walk on treadmill every day and I have lost 12 POUNDS in 8 days!

jan-09, 245

aug-09 235

pre-op diet saw a 10 pound loss.

surgery day, 225

current weight 8 days later, 213

Edited by rottie69

I was banded 9/23. Had to be at the surgery center at 6:30 am. I was home by 10:30 am. Very little pain (mostly from the tube in my throat). My biggest problem now is hiccups.

I was concerned about gulping too much liquid too quickly. I'm using one of my grandchildren's sippy cups, which seems to be working well.

I am finally banded! Had my surgery on Wednesday, 23 September. Had to be at the hospital at 6:30 am and like most folks, got fressed in the lovely gown, prepped and off to surgery. Last thing I remember was the mask going over my nose and mouth. Woke up a little in PACU but don't remember much until I woke up in my room. I ended up spending the night in the hospital as I had some nausea issues and didn't feel strong enough to make the 1 1/2 hour ride home. Doctor agreed and so I settled in for the night. Of course, I didn't get much sleep but since they had me awake about every two hours, I used that opportunity to pee and walk. Needless to say, the nurses were a little suprised to see me walking the halls at 1:00 am, but I knew that I would need to do it. As it happened, it helped me break down the gas a little. I am home now and still have a little issue with the gas pain in my left shoulder, but it is getting better.

I still haven't grasped the fact that I have a band in my stomache. I know that I cannot drink too much at one time cuz it hurts but other than that, my mind hasn't grasped the concept yet that I have this tool in me. I am not hungry but am thirsty, so I keep trying to drink lots of Water, one sip at a time. I have lost 10 pounds since last Friday, but I know that this will likely be temporary as I go through bandster hell.

Thanks to all who post here as I remembered a lot of what I have read and am ready for what is coming down the pike. Good luck to all who have not been banded yet. It is an experience that is certainly life altering.

Elgrad

I was banded on 9-21-09. Had to be at the hospital at 6:30 am and was home by about 2:30 pm and I live 2 hours from the hospital. It was pretty uneventful. They gave me my lovely gown to wear, the anesthesiologist, nurse, and dr took turns talking to me, took my vitals, started my iv, gave me the lovenox shot in my belly, and rolled me into the OR. I remember the mask and someone saying goodnight lol. Next thing I knew it was over and I was sucking ice chips and sipping Water. I did have something for pain and nausea which both put me back to sleep. I walked, went to the bathroom, given instructions and let go. I am reading where a lot of people had to drink the barium. I did not have to do this! Is everyone soposed to do this? Kind of concerns me that I didn't!! Anyway, slept all the way home, the rest of the day and night LOL All of those meds just knocked me out. Ive never taken anything for pain since I left the hospital. Surgery day was just that, so I had some pain. Tuesday and Wednesday were not bad but uncomfortable and I had to be easy. Ive had the gas. Thursday and Friday were much better. Saturday I took a 3 hour trip to visit my daughter in college, went to the mall, checked in the motel, walked forever to a very crowded college ballgame and then back to the car when it was over. By Saturday I had no pain what so ever! I have restriction because I am having trouble getting my 64 oz of fluids in daily and Im not hungry at all. Have not had one hunger pain since surgery. Not craving anything because I feel full all of the time. I Pray I have no problems with my band because so far I love it!!!

:thumbup:I loved reading these stories pre-op so here goes!!

Banded 9/23

Arrived at hospital at 8:30 am...waited in a holding area for an hour (was aggravated and getting scared)

They brought me back into pre-op, I had to pee in a cup and they took blood. Soon, a really sweet nurse started and IV(ouch) and then gave me a shot of Lovenox (did not hurt or burn) in my stomach.

The surgeon came by and said he was ahead of schedule and that I should not have had to wait and he was ready for me! The OR nurses came and introduced themselves and the anestheologist came and asked me a million questions. I have never had surgery before and was startig to get nervous....at some point my family came back to me while I was talking to all of the people. A nurse said something and I lost it....I broke down sobbing in the pre-op (I was scared). they then gave me a cocktail of wonderful calming drugs and told me to say goodbye to my fam and I would see them soon.

I was wheeled into the OR...DR. was in there and asked me what time I go there...told him 8:30 and he was aggravated that they made me wait

I moved onto the operating table and was told to breathe in deeply...2 breaths is all I remember!

I woke un in recovery to a wonderful nurse (her name was Robyn also) First thing I said was "am I alive" she giggled said yes and that I was doing great! I was only in recovery 45-60 minutes and quickly went to my private room.

I was alone in my room for about 20-30 minutes because my family was told I would be much longer in recovery.

As soon as my mom and best friend (my hubby went home to walk the dogs because he was also told I would be longer in recovery) came into the room I asked to get up and walk and go pee! I was able to get up pretty easilly and walked down the hall.

About an hour later the psychologist (she's part of the bariatric team) stopped in to see how I was doing and chatted with me and my family for a while.

My nurse was great and so helpful, but really left me alone as much as I wanted! Night nurse came on...it was a guy...at first I was pancked, but soon learned to LOVE him!! He was AMAZING!

The only thing I was allowed to have th 1st day was a sucky sponge with Water on it and I was just allowed to wet my mouth. I had brough some mouth moisturizing gel and it was a lifesaver.

I didn't sleep at all and walked ALOT ALOT!!

the next morning I was taken down for a barium swallow at about 8:00 (this was the only bad experience I had and it wasn't the barium it was the radiologist...he was an ass)

Barium was just 2 sips and it went down fine! I went back to my room and there was a tray wth broth and Water and Jello...a couple of bites and I was done. A couple of hours later (waiting for discharge) I got a popsicle...HEAVEN!!!

The Dr. came in and the nutritionist..all clear to go home!! YAY!!

I even walked out of the hospital!! NO wheelchair for me!

Hope that helps someone!!

I'm in bandland. I got banded yesterday morning. At the hotel across the street from the clinic, just about to head home (2.5 hour drive). I had my surgery done at NWWLS., with Dr. Michaelson. I'm going to break down what happened to me yesterday for any of you who are interested in what happens at NWWLS or just in general.

I left home at 5:45am (after only getting about an hour of sleep_ to make it to Everett, WA by 7:45am. Didn't need to be there until 8:30am, so we went to the hotel (Holiday Inn Express) to check in. They gave us our room right away!!! Btw the hotel is just wonderful! Very nice rooms, beds, extremely good customer service, TV, and best of all, quiet and dark making it easy to do a lot of resting. Rested for about 15 minutes and then headed to the clinic. Filled out paperwork and waited for about 15 minutes. Was brought to the back. VERY nice private care facility. They gave me blood thinner into my thigh, tested my temp, BP, and O2 stats. Then, Dr. Michaelson spoke with me for a few minutes. Met the anesthesiologist, who asked me the same questions all over again. He was really nice (Dr. Ortiz I think). I then walked into the operating room, laid down, got hooked up to monitoring machines, and then got some absolutely amazing drug that made my eyes heavy - but it also made me feel absolutely NO anxiety. About 2 minutes later they gave me the anesthesia... and I was out. Ta-da, I'm banded.

Waking up from general really sucks for me, so it was a pretty strange feeling. I don't remember much, other than it was a bit difficult to breathe, and that my mom (who came along to drive me home, etc.) was in the room answering questions for me. I knew where I was, but had no idea what time it was and kept on asking.. about every 2 minutes. haha. After an hour in the recovery room in my bed, I was asked to walk to another room with a chair. I had fear that I wouldn't make it, but I actually liked walking more than the sitting. Got to my room, and was checked about every 10 minutes (BP, O2, etc).

I was supposed to get the SILS procedure, but the doctor reverted to a standard procedure because he said I was too tall for his instruments. So, I have 5 incisions like most people - I would have liked just having 1, but safety was definitely more important than looks. After about 1 hour, I started to feel some pain, so they gave me liquid vicodin (Lortab Elixir). The drugs kinda "knocked" me out half way, but made the pain go completely away. After another 45 minutes, they told me I was good to go. So, got into the car and drove to the hotel. Did a 10 minute walk around the hotel. Then, back to the room and slept for an hour. Took more Lortab as I was feeling a bit more pain. Felt sleepy again, and slept for 2.5 hours. So, all in all, it went really smoothly, and pretty limited pain. I would like to have no pain, but it's definitely not bad.

My sleep was alright last night. I was told to set my alarm for every 3 hours to take pain medication, so that it wouldn't bother me. I had my alarm set but accidentally hit the snooze button, and it never rang again. So, I missed my first dose. Woke up about 2 hours later in quite a lot of pain. Took the medication, and about half an hour later was all good again. Had some really strange dreams (not scary, but just weird). Got about 3 hours of sleep until my alarm went off again to take more meds. Went back to bed until 9am. Got up, had some more pain meds, and started drinking my liquids again. I LOVE coffee, so I got some coffee as well, but only drank about 1/4 of it before feeling full. And hour later, had 1/2 of a small yogurt (50 calories). but then felt full again, so didn't have any more. Just finished packing, and am going to head down to the clinic to get checked out, finish up some paperwork, and then drive home.

I'll keep you all posted. Definitely going to need my pain medication today, and probably tomorrow, but want to get off of it as soon as possible (I have had drug addictions before in my past and don't want to get addicted to these meds).

Good luck to the rest of you bandsters, newly-banded, and those considering getting banded! Cheers~

Hello everyone. Yesterday I had my lapband installed and I got engaged. I proposed to my girlfriend before we left for the surgery center. The day was all about new beginnings for me and I couldn't think of a better day to do that. (She said Yes by the way :thumbup:)

As far as the surgery itself, it went pretty smooth and was like most of the stories on this thread. I was banded by Dr. Curry at Journeylite in Cincinnati. He's one of the best and his staff was great. I went in at 7 AM and was out by 11. I'm a little sore today but it's really not that bad at all. Walking around really does help out a lot so keep that in mind. I'm just looking forward to the future now and hoping for the best. I want to be healthy and do all those things I can't do now because of my weight.

The surgery was the easy part and now comes the work. I'm confident that this will be one of the best decisions that I ever made. Good luck to all of you and God bless.

:)Hi, I was banded on August 19 and everything went so smooth. I was really nervous and scared. I was trying not to think bad thoughts and made it through. Dr. Wynn my surgeon did a very good job. I arrived at Christian Hospital at 8am and scheduled for surgery and 10. One day stay and out by 3pm the next day. Had my 2wk appointments and other appointments before I left the hospital. GOOD JOB CHRIAS TEAM.....

I had my surgery yesterday. I arrived at 5:30 am for my 7:30 am surgery. The hospital is about 40 minutes from my house and about eight minutes from my work. I arrived a few minutes late, but it wasn't a big deal. They checked me in and put on my bracelets, and then walked me back to the lab. The phlebotomist took one vial of my blood to test my potassium and do a pregnancy test.

My gown and booties were on my bed waiting for me. The gown was HUGE, which was a nice switch. My booties were the shower cap kind rather than the "golf socks with tread" kind, which I would have preferred. Naturally my monthly "friend" showed up two days before surgery, so the nurse said she'd go get me "Victoria's Secret". It was a pair of lightweight mesh "panties" and a couple of old belt-style napkins to wear.

I lay in bed while they asked me a bunch of questions -- verifying my information, current meds, allergies and so forth. Then the nurse started my IV in my hand. She gave me a couple of sticks of local anesthesia first. My veins weren't putting on much of a show, but she found a good one on the first try. They started me on three bags of solution: Lactated ringers, antibiotic, and Heparin. From some of the other stories about the Heparin I've read here, I'm glad they gave me mine slowly through the IV! They also wrapped my legs in "stockings" that kind of breathed in and out (like a blood pressure cuff) to help prevent the formation of blood clots. About 15 minutes later my anesthesiologist came in and introduced himself and asked and answered questions. Dr. Owens arrived about 10 minutes later -- he said he'd overslept. He talked to me for a few minutes and went back to prep. I was his first procedure of the day.

A few minutes later my anesthesiologist came back and injected a nice dose of Versed into my IV. After that, everything was peachy. They wheeled me into the surgical suite and had me scoot over onto the table. They put an O2 mask over my nose and mouth and I could hear them talking. Then my anesthesiologist said "OK, think happy thoughts -- you're going to go to sleep. Think happy thoughts, think happy thoughts..." next thing I knew I was back on my bed waking up in the recovery room.

Dr. Owens visited my mom in the O.R. waiting room after the surgery and told her everything went well and that I'll be fine. She was very happy about that and appreciated it. Last time I had surgery was at Kaiser about 12 years ago they never came out to talk to my mom and it really upset her.

I had weird dreams while I was under, but can't remember them. Once I woke up, I began doing deep breathing exercises because I knew the drill. I dozed off and woke up a couple more times, and after about an hour they wheeled me up to my room. My mom came in about five minutes later to kick it with me.

They didn't give me a private room, but why they teamed me up with this particular woman I have no idea. She was moaning, praying, and crying and people were in and out of the room constantly for her -- family, doctors, nurses, etc.; all talking extremely loud -- in Spanish. Her husband's cell phone was ringing about every 20 minutes. She'd had back surgery and was in extreme pain because she was all clogged up with gas and feces. Then she soiled herself and stunk up the room so bad they could smell it down the hallway. You'd think they could have paired me up with somebody who'd had a similar procedure.:sad:

For pain, they gave me the "Jeopardy" signaling device that would supposedly dispense Dilaudid every six minutes. I hit it about every half-hour. They brought me some broth and sugar free "off brand" lime Jell-O. The broth was good, but I only took a few sips because I didn't want to get sick. The Jell-O was gross. About two hours later I asked to get up and go to the bathroom and walk around. No problem going pee, and it felt good to walk. The physical therapist had me walk up a couple steps and when we got back to the room she gave me a list of basic upper-body weight exercises to do. She also had me practice getting in and out of bed.

They took my Jeopardy button away from me a lot sooner than I'd have liked, and started me on Lortab elixir. I asked for another dose about four hours later and the nurse said the dosing schedule was every eight hours so it was too soon, but she could give me a shot of morphine in the shoulder. I said "Morphine?! I don't think that's necessary but if that's all you can give me I'll take it." She came back three minutes later with another cup of Lortab elixir and said -- "Here you go baby. I'm sorry; it's every three hours -- not eight. My handwriting it looked like an 8." :thumbup:

Mom and I decided straight off that we'd stay there until at least 7:00 pm to miss the OC traffic; however I could have stayed the night if I wanted (overnight was paid for). I would have preferred to stay over night, but the telenovela that was playing out on the other side of the room killed it for me. I was unable to doze off for more than 15 minutes at a time before the next round of "call the nurse" or "husband's cell phone" ensued. Finally around 6:00 they gave her a shot of something that knocked her out -- then the snoring began.

We left around 8:00 pm, and I started feeling car sick on the drive home. I don't know how people who live several hours away can stand such a car ride. I was extremely uncomfortable by the time we pulled up the driveway.

As soon as I got in the house, I popped a phenergan tablet for the nausea and a Norco for the pain. My doc prescribed me tablets rather than liquid (thankfully because that Lortab elixir is grody) and said I shouldn't have any problems tolerating them with the band right now because it's completely empty. He said once it's filled it may be a different story.

I didn't have any of the gas pains the day of the surgery, but I had a little this afternoon in the area under my right boob and up into my neck shoulder area. I can hear the gas rumbling around in my intestines as well, but nothing's "happened" yet.

I'm in pain, there's no doubt about that. Like everyone says, the pain is strongest at the port site (doesn't help that my cat stomped on it a little while ago). I actually have six incisions instead of five. I found the sixth one right in the hole of my belly button. My belly button hole is so deep because of my fat that it’s a wonder I found it! He used Dermabond rather than stitches. My doctor advises us to shower daily and clean the incisions with soap and Water to help prevent infection.

I just took another walk around the block and a shower, now it's time to take a Norco and hit the sack!

I was banded October 8th by Dr. Alana Chock at NWWLS, in Everett, Washington. My experience was very similar to Timmers, who posted just recently. They have a great staff, and since all they do is Lapbands, they've got the system down pat. I checked in at 6:00 a.m. for a 7:00 surgery. Filled out an abbreviated medical history form, and then went to change into a gown, slippers and a nice large terrycloth robe that FIT. I went back to the preop area, where my husband was waiting for me, and the surgical nurse told me what the plan of action would be. She gave me a heparin shot in my thigh, which burned a little, but wasn't bad. She also put a scopalamine patch on behind my ear to prevent nausea. The anesthesiologist came by and we had a little chat, he examined my airway and then started my IV. He did a wonderful job; I didn't feel the IV at all, and I have a teeny tiny bruise; usually I have a purple spot the size of a quarter after an IV! Dr. Chock came over and told me that I did a great job with my pre-surgery weight loss, and gave me some 'homework' - to walk 40 minutes a day. I can do 4 10 minute stretches at first, but need to work up to 40 minutes in a row. :thumbup:

So then - surgery! A nurse came to get me; I gave DH a hug and kiss and off I went. Walked down the hall to the OR; it was COLD and the anesthesiologist was waiting for me, along with 2 other nurses. I hopped up on the table, they put a pillow under my legs, put the pressure booties on my legs...and I started getting really nervous. The anesthesiologist said "I think I'm going to give you a little bit of sleep meds, because you seem a little nervous, ok?" and the next thing I remember is someone calling my name, and when I opened my eyes I was in recovery! It was a struggle to keep my eyes open, and I had double vision but felt ok. It was uncomfortable to take deep breaths, but my O2 sats kept dropping and the nurse kept popping in to say "Breathe! Keep breathing!". Eventually they put a nasal cannula on me, with oxygen, and that did the trick. It also helped wake me up! I was able to sip ice Water - had 4 glasses or so during recovery. They got me up and walking after about 20 minutes - walked down to a post op area with a recliner, where I hung out for a while. I was feeling ok, but needed some morphine for shoulder pain. After a while I felt good enough to leave, so I got dressed and they cleared me to go. I am really lucky that I only live 10 minutes from the center - I was home by 11:15 a.m.!

I spent most of the day dozing, and keeping up on my pain meds so it wasn't too bad. I was pretty uncomfortable yesterday; the worst part was that I had very blurry vision which was concerning me. I called the clinic and the nurse asked me if I still had the scopalamine patch one - I did - apparently one of the side effects is blurry vision! So off it came, and my vision improved greatly. :tt2: It worked well, though - no nausea!

All in all, it was a wonderful experience. The staff at NWWLS is sooooo supportive - the majority of them have bands, so they know first hand what you're going through. I love them!:tt1: