Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Soy Protein Shakes - Yea or Whey?

Are soy Protein shakes an option for post-op diets? I haven't found one mention of soy in any of the threads, so I'm wondering it is too difficult to digest after surgery. :confused_smile: Even if taken with "Beano" or a similar digestive enzyme?

Has anyone been warned by their dietician or doctor against Protein powder mixes that contain soy Protein? If so, why? If not, have you tried them? Got any brand reviews?

Nope, no problem with soy shakes. Just make sure you don't end up relying on them once you are off the post op diet and eating solid foods again. You should be getting your daily Protein needs from real food, that's how the band keeps you feeling full. The shake just goes right through the band so you still want to eat more. But while you are on your post op liquids only (and in mushy phase too, sometimes) diet, any Protein Shake that has the nutrition profile your nutrionist or doc recommends is fine. I think mine wanted me to make sure it had at least 20 gm Protein per serving, if I recall correctly.

The band won't change how you digest things like soy. If you can tolerate it preop, you'll tolerate it post op.

Thanks! That's a bit of a relief. The better quality whey Protein Shakes seem to be quite pricey. I've done a little comparison shopping and the soy mixes seem less expensive and just as good, or better, nutrionally. The true test will be taste. I'll report my findings for anyone who is interested.

I bought some soy Protein powder at Walmart the other day. It's "Genisoy" 16 oz. unflavored "natural Protein powder." 3 heaping tbsp (30g) serving size/ 15 per container. It was only $8.96, making it less than $.60 per serving. Pretty cheap, if you ask me.

It's got 110 cal, 1.5g fat, 290 sodium, 60 potassium, 0 carbs, and 25g protein. That's just the powder, no milk. So it's all protein. It's also got loads of Vitamins and minerals - 25% RDA of most.

I haven't tried it yet. I've got a brand-spankin'-new blender coming by mailorder in the next few days. Yup, I went all out! :biggrin2:

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't taste like cardboard. I keep running recipes through my head.....mix it in with plain soy milk, add frozen berries, a little vanilla extract and some nutmeg ....or bananas and a pinch of cinnamon :scared2:...I'm taking suggestions!

Coming soon! Soy Protein Powder shake reviews.

According To My Nutironist And The Owner Of The Health food Shop Whey Protein shakes With At Least 42 Grams Of Protein. According To Nutionist If You Eat The Right Amount Of food On The Band You Will Still Need A Protein Supplement. Also You Should Be Taking An Adult chewable Multivitamin. Centrun Silver Has One That Is Chewable.

Good Luck Phil

Well, my blender showed up a bit earlier than I thought it would so I came home today and put it to work. I mixed up a lovely pineapple soy smoothie.

It's got 1 c soy milk, 1/2 c pineapple chunks (no sugar added), 2 T pineapple juice (from the can), 1/4 t vanilla extract, 9 ice cubes and the recommended serving size of Genisoy soy Protein powder - 3 T heaping.

All that has 280 calories, 27g carbs, 5.5g fat and 32g Protein (vegan protein). The pineapple has a bit of Fiber so net carbs are about 24g.

So for the taste....soy squeamish beware. :thumbup: If you don't like soy milk at all, you won't like this. It does have that soy texture (some may call it chalky), but I'm not sure if that's from the soy milk or the soy protein powder (probably both - duh!). The flavor reminds me of pineapple-upside-down-cake (It's the vanilla).

I'm going to try this with other fruit, something with a bit more flavor like strawberries, or peaches. A bit of smooth sugar free Peanut Butter might be good. :tt2:

More soy reviews and recipes to come.

It's a good question for your surgeon or your dietician.

The hospital where I will be banded holds a four hour class about what to expect and what to do before, during, and after. They were very clear to us that they only consider whey Protein to be acceptable. In fact, the following month I had to bring my Protein powder as well as my chewable Vitamins and papaya enzyme to show them I was properly prepared!

Just tossing my info into the pot for you...

Orea

I've been on the lookout for soy Protein Shakes and recently tried one from Rivival Soy. I purchased a sampler package online of 8 different flavors. I've tried only the blueberry so far. It was quite good. A little sweet for my taste, but overall, quite good. If anyone's interested, the website is http://www.revivalsoy.com .

...they only consider whey Protein to be acceptable.

That can't be right!? What about poeple who have milk allergies and can't tolerate whey? What about vegans? What about people who prefer soy over whey for the other health benefits?

It just sounds rather silly. :P

Whey Protein isolate is the only protein fully assimilated in our bodies. I have wasted time and money on others, and have lost hair. There were also days that I had no energy. Also, there are different types of whey protein. The label must say 100% whey protein isolate. I am putting my plant based lifestyle on the back burner for a while until I am closer to my goal. Be Well

LIGHT ER NYC, I hear what you're saying. But to say whey is the ONLY Protein fully assimilated in our bodies is misleading.

I found this article that helps explain what I think you're trying to get at and it has helped me to make a more informed decision. I'll still choose soy over whey.

Here's the link to the article CoryHolly.com - Articles - Whey and Soy Protein . Enjoy! :biggrin2:

Hi I have read your article, and it states "whey peptides provide the highest quality source of Protein known. Higher than soy. Soy offers a much lower score in biological value than whey protein isolate." they suggest a combo to reap benefits of both. I am guessing that you so want to maintain your greener lifestyle that you are not focusing on that. I can relate and have. Then I lost a lot of hair and energy. Hope you do better than I. Wishing you wellness and weight loss.:smile2:

I've tried it and I don't care for it alone... tastes like cardboard. However, I put a couple of scoops of it in a slimfast optima, with a bit more skim milk, a splenda, and some frozen fruit..(blueberries right now). It's actually pretty yummy when whizzed in my bullet! :tongue2:

I've been hearing snippets here and there lately, that they are discovering that using soy as your only source of Protein can actually be dangerous??? Why?