Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm Insulin Resistant and PSOC, but under 100lbs.

Hi

I am wondering if you guys can help me, I have PCOS, also Insulin R, Pre Diabetic. My Dr has said if i lose the weight, he could take me off the Metformin(2000mgs), Thyroid Meds.

But i have tried so so hard and the weight is still going on.

I have lost alot of my hair, i have facial hair, i am IR. I feel like crap everyday. I weight 206lbs i am 5ft 5.

I am going to contact the Lap Band Place tomorrow to see what they say. But i have a feeling it is going to be a big nooooooooooooo.

Has anyone gone through the Lap Band, but under 100lbs that they but on there web page????

Karen x

I'm def. going to be over 100 lbs. but I feel you on all the PCOS stuff. I personally did not lose any weight once I started the Metformin which I thought I would. I did level out but have been off it for almost 3 years (went off in my 2nd trimester and couldn't handle the side effects and caring for twins afterwards). My OB and my surgeon both feel like the PCOS is going to be GREATLY reduced by losing the excess weight. I think if you have under 100 to lose, that is a wonderful thing to start with. Have you talked to your endocrinologist or pcp about LBT? It's important to get their input. The insulin resistance is such a hard hurdle for losing weight that I believe this band will be my life saver! Good luck!

Omg! We are twins! :smile: Same weight, height,

PCOS, thyroid, etc. I started the lap-band journey in Jan. '08. At first everything went well and I was scheduled to have surgery Mar. 10th. That didn't last long as ins. company denied it after pre-approval. This was of course a huge set back for me. I then decided I would try low-carb once again...gave up after 1 month and 0 weight loss. So now I'm back to having surgery but will have to be a self-pay. :wink2:

Anyway, I did qualify for surgery even though BMI is borderline. My PCP was 100% supportive (knowing my history w/diet & exercise) and co-morbidities (PCOS,thyroid) were huge factors for my surgeon.

We have since moved and I am currently trying to find the best surgeon at a reasonable price. So now you know what I mean by "journey". :out: I hope this helped and I wish you the best of luck on your journey to lap-band surgery.

~PDMNM~

Kabbs, You might consider talking to your doctor about a medication called Byetta. It is an injection that helps control your diabetes and one of the side effects is weight loss. You can Google it to find out more. It is expensive, but I did lose some weight while taking it. I got off because of the expense and had the lap band surgery. I have read about others on this site who did not need to lose 100 pounds, but have been approved for surgery. It all depends on your insurance provider. By the way my A1C number for diabetes has gone down since having the lapband surgery. Best Wishes

Hi

I am wondering if you guys can help me, I have PCOS, also Insulin R, Pre Diabetic. My Dr has said if i lose the weight, he could take me off the Metformin(2000mgs), Thyroid Meds.

But i have tried so so hard and the weight is still going on.

I have lost alot of my hair, i have facial hair, i am IR. I feel like crap everyday. I weight 206lbs i am 5ft 5.

I am going to contact the Lap Band Place tomorrow to see what they say. But i have a feeling it is going to be a big nooooooooooooo.

Has anyone gone through the Lap Band, but under 100lbs that they but on there web page????

Karen x

Hi Karen,

There is a PCOS group here on LBT.

I have heard of many people being approved when they don't have 100 pounds to lose. It has a lot to do with your co-morbidities and your conditions. PCOS is definately a reason to lose weight... and lapband may be the right thing.

I want to warn you that even though you lose weight PCOS still makes it a very slow process. I'm at maybe 1 pound per week.

I only needed to lose 60 lbs. I think my BMI is 35. I am diabetic ,I think that helps the insurance say yes. I was banded on the 18th of Sept. One week later Lantis cut in half & no more pills.< /p>

Hi, I am brand new as of today so I hope that this response will help you. I also was under 100 lbs (by about 20 lbs) and have insulin resist. and sleep Ap. My insurance started covering lap banding in Jan 2008. It is my understanding that if you band and loose - these 2 medical issues SHOULD go away. That is my hope for me and for all of us. My Dr. wrote a letter to my insurance co and told them of the issues and that she believed that a lap band would be very beneficial to me. They agreed, and I was a happy camper as I have struggled with weight issues my entire life. A little nervous but things have worked out great. Banded on 5/1/08 and have only lost 21 lbs. Not going fast enough for me. But they say slow is best. Hope this has helped. Jenks

Now I need to know how you got your questions out there for a response from anyone? What is the procedure? Very new at this sort of thing - threads, blogs, etc. Thanks

Omg! We are twins! :eek: Same weight, height,

PCOS, thyroid, etc. I started the lap-band journey in Jan. '08. At first everything went well and I was scheduled to have surgery Mar. 10th. That didn't last long as ins. company denied it after pre-approval. This was of course a huge set back for me. I then decided I would try low-carb once again...gave up after 1 month and 0 weight loss. So now I'm back to having surgery but will have to be a self-pay. :smile:

Anyway, I did qualify for surgery even though BMI is borderline. My PCP was 100% supportive (knowing my history w/diet & exercise) and co-morbidities (PCOS,thyroid) were huge factors for my surgeon.

We have since moved and I am currently trying to find the best surgeon at a reasonable price. So now you know what I mean by "journey". :wub: I hope this helped and I wish you the best of luck on your journey to lap-band surgery.

~PDMNM~

what is pcos

This is an actual lapband surgery, so if you don't like blood or things like this make you sick, don't watch it.