Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

does medicaid pay for lap band (not medicare but medicaid)

first of all I do need SO MUCH help with how to get approved by medicaid. I feel so confused! And another thing after I post this I dont know how to check if i get any replies so if anyone could message me on my profile and tell me know i even check back to see the replies that woul be great! or email me at Laura7420@hotmail.com and put in subject from "lapbandtalk.com reply about medicaid" or something so i dont delete it! THANK YOU!

Laura my first step would be to call

1-800-lap-band

you tell them where you live, what insurance you have

and they will tell you whats up. Like where to go to

a seminar, what doctor to see and if it covers you which it

should. Just call the number and someone from there

will help you

:)

Hi I also live in IL Paris IL and looking for information on doctors that take medicaid near me. any information is welcome I am at my hights weight ever . I am diabetic, sever arthrisis, IH,ACM1,sleep apena,bulding hurnia in spine,& a hurnia above my belle button

I live in PA and am disabled and on Medicaid does anyone know

if they pay, and what all do you have to do. I want this bad I

have a BMI of over 40.

Thanks for any information anyone has. :blushing:

Karen

Hi karen my name is amber i am from berlin pa and i was wondering if you ever got approved by access.

Hi Amber

I am now going through the steps to be approved.

call 1-800-lap band and explain to them what insurance you

have and they will tell you what you have to do.

I have to see my pcp for 4 to 6 months straight and do a

diet with him and he fills out the papers and summits them to the surgions office.

have you gone to a seminar yet that would be your first step. and from there they will lead you the rest of the way.

let me know whats up with you

:smile2:

Karen,

i am going to a seminar on Jan 9th at somerset hospital!!! Good luck with your journey. keep in touch. let me know how everything goes!!!!

I have primary insurance (which denied everything since it's not a covered benefit) and I have Medicaid for my secondary insurance. Each state is DIFFERENT, dont forget that! My medicaid insurance company was actully "closing doors to state insurance" when I was obtaining approval for surgery in November and they denied it, and denied the appeal. So on Dec 1st the new Medicaid insurance went into effect and on 12/3 I had my approval and a letter was sent to me. My primary insurnace doesnt cover a thing so the medicaid will cover as secondary.

The first thing you can do is CALL your insurance company and ask them if it's a covered benefit and what the conditions to the benefit are. If it's a covered benefit, write down who you spoke with and the time becuase if you need to appeal when it's time for approval, that makes it easier.

i don't know if this will help anyone but in missouri, university hospital in columbia does accept medicaid for the lap band surgery. i was told this yesterday by st. johns hosp. luckly i have medicare and medicaid so st johns in springfield missouri is doing mine... i am at the beginning of the process but i don't have a doubt that i will be approved. i am on 16 different medications a day, i have diabetes, CHF, high blood pressure. and have had a heart attack 4 years ago.my family doc said its an excellent idea to go with because it would definately get me off alot if not all of my meds.

Well I wish you good luck in your Weight loss journey! I have applied for Lap band surgery, and I am waiting on word from them. I am very excited to see my new future beginning, as i am sure you are too!:rolleyes2:

Yes Medicaid in Texas will pay for lapband

has to be a Center Of Excellence

contact me for more Info Id love to help out:thumbup:

I have "traditional medicaid" and live in DFW area of Texas. My BMI is 42 with high blood pressure and sleep apnea, (no sleep study done yet, the cardiologist told me I had it while I was hospitalized for the BP). I have severe problems sleeping more than 2 or 3 hours at a time, and cannot climb stairs (- 1 flight). I have desperately been trying to find a doctor in the DFW area that accepts Medicaid. I cannot even find a doctor, seems that Medical city hospital accepts medicaid, but none of their doctors in their bariatric dept. accept medicaid. Can someone please help me?:smile:

i am from missouri and the only place here that i know of that takes only medicaid is university hosp. in columbia missouri. my daughter will be having hers done there. i am having mine done in st johns in springfield missouri because they accept medicare and medicaid together. but will not do medicaid by itself.