Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I haven't seen this topic on the forum. Does anyone have to take B12 shots monthly in addition to the Vitamins that they take?

I have to take B complex 3x a day, 2 calcium citrate a day, and 2 multi Vitamin A day, plus a B12 shot 1x a month.

When it is time for my shot i'm so tired I can't get up. 12 hours after the shot i'm fine. So far I was able to get the surgeon office to give it to me. I'm a wimp when it comes to given myself needles. I've given my dad his insulin, but I don't have the nerve to give it to myself. I asked my primary care if she would do it, and she said yes. When it was time she made me go for a blood test and sent for records from the surgeons office. In the mean time I couldn't walk across the house without being wiped out. Finally I asked my friend who is a vet tech and has been giving intra muscular shots for ever to give it to me yesterday. Today i'm back to myself. Does anyone else have this problem?

My daughter's doctor prescribed B12 shots for her and they seem to have a similar effect for her. The same doctor told me I didn't need them.

HMMM, why you and not her? I've tried to look up the reason for the shot after surgery but can't find an answer. I've figured it out that I need it for energy. Anyone else?

My surgeon does the shots, but mainly for bypass patients, and usually only when they complain of lethargy. I never needed them, guess I could get it enough to take care of energy.

Banded patients don't have malabsorption issues, so for most of us a Multivitamin and Calcium supplement does the trick for whatever we are short in. Most multivites have B12.< /p>

Did your doctor explain why you would need the shots? Did you need them pre-banding too?

no he didn't, not that I remember. I'm sure my primary will, she has all the records and results of the blood work I just had done. Now all I have to do is make an appointment and go.

Let us know the results of why you taking them ,i very tired had Iron and blood tests and doctor said i did not need them.

Hmm to my knowledge it's not common for bandsters to need B12 so I would say if you do - it's possibly not related to being banded? Keep us posted on that one.

My best girl friend has to take b12 shots every month but she is a gastric bypass patient and needs it or she gets lethargic and VERY scatter brained/forgetful

Thats what happens to me. The surgeon even suggested to take the shot every two weeks instead of every four. I'm calling the primary tomorrow to make an appointment.

My OBGYN gives me B12 shots monthly & have for a while now (pre-band). I have very "heavy" periods which results in me being very weak (slight anemia) & her recommendation was these shots. I've not had any lethargic feelings since getting these, though she did mention that there was a "patch" I could try on my last visit. Might try that out.

I finally saw my regular doctor yesterday and she said that my B12 levels were fine, but if the surgeon thinks I need to have them, then she doesn't have a problem with it. She presribed an inhalable B12 that I take 1x a week instead of the shot. I hope that works. The shots hurt.

I finally saw my regular doctor yesterday and she said that my B12 levels were fine, but if the surgeon thinks I need to have them, then she doesn't have a problem with it. She presribed an inhalable B12 that I take 1x a week instead of the shot. I hope that works. The shots hurt.

Gee i never heard of inhalable b12, I am in australia, will have to look into that.