Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Have A Natural Remedy for Heartburn?

I've been poking around the web for a natural heartburn remedy....I've seen apple cider vinegar, a slice of apple, cinnamon, crushed cardamin etc but, naturally no recipe that I should follow. The one website that seemed pretty good wants $34.95 for the dang thing. I was wondering if anyone had a natural remedy that they use?

Strange enough seems sour stomach or reflux is actually caused because not enough acid is in the stomach so the food remains there and causes sour stomach...the food comes back at you when your stomach valve relaxes at night. I thought that was pretty interesting..hence some recommendations I'm seeing to actually add some acid through the apple cider vinegar and other acidic things. Another thing I saw was to shred grapefruit peel...let it dry and then eat just a little when your stomach is upset?

Anyway got one of those natural remedy books that can look up Acid Reflux/Sour Stomach?

Thanks for your help!

I sure could use some help with reflux too. Hope you all post your suggestions, I eat enough rolaids, tums, pepcid complete, and take a prescription to no avail. HELP!

Babs I'm with you...I've tried prescription Pepcid (I believe that's what it is who can tell with the dang generic name but, if I'm remembering right that's what my PCP told me), Tums, Pepto Bismol, Rolaids, OTC pepcid....Heck today I even tried what I've been reading...Apple Cider Vinegar in Water with a little baking soda. Reasoning for the ACV? Well they claim that it's not always over production of acid but, under production which causes the food in your stomach not to digest enough so when you lay down you end up with sour stomach...food coming back up your esphogus. Well.....when I really think of it especially for today....I've eaten nothing solid AT ALL today because the fill kicked in and my stomach I believe is swollen. I can't do solids, mushies and can barely do liquids today. I can only take small sips. So it's definately not because something is stuck in my stomach. It's 11pm and I just fell asleep on the couch, sitting up and got woken up by the rush of acidy Fluid in my mouth. It burned and was very uncomfy. Well dang nabbit I haven't had anything to eat and I'm sitting up what more can I do? It's definately when my esphogus relaxes just before sleep or as I'm falling asleep that the rush starts. I'm going to keep trying for a few more days to see if I can find something natural to fix this...if not looks like yet another visit to the doc for a slight unfill. I can't go without sleeping for too long that's for sure. Last night I got 4 hours tops....not sure what will happen tonight but, I"m not off to a good start. So If you find any cures or remedies please share as well :rolleyes2:

Sherry I hate hearing you are still having problems!!

I have not noticed a huge change in things with the change of meds, but it is a medication that is supposed to deal with the problem in a different way---by slowing the production of the acid itself. He said there are people it is not for, large eaters for instance, require more acid to digest that amount of food, but for us it is ideal he said. It is called Aciphex---he gave me 4 sample bottles with several in each bottle, and I go back when it is done to let him know if it helped.

I am dealing with HUGE stress right now, and so far so good----but tonight is going to be an issue, because we went to dinner with friends and ate late, it took them friggin forever to bring our food! So I am up, drinking water---trying to flush my pouch----but I feel it ALL---Water included, just sitting there, dammit!

If I get any flashes of insight---will let you know.....Hugs!

Kat

When I ws having problems with heartburn a lot of people suggested aloe vera juice. I really didn't like the taste but a lot of others did. Maybe it would work for you. I found it at Walmart.< /p>

Sherry I am so sorry to hear that the reflux is back. I dont have an answer but have heard some things about aloe vera juice.

how much of a fill did you get? can you get a slight unfill? My last fill was ultra conservative at .24. Now I am afraid to get another.

I had about .65 put in my band. Actually really weird but, the first 3-4 days I had some heartburn again but, now...its as if I didn't have a fill. I feel like I can eat a horse UGH!

sounds like we both have sensitive tummys. You know better than me that restriction can change on a daily basis.

I too am eating more (junk!) but still want to wait for another fill, if I can help it I I dont ever want to be overly tight again

glad you are feeling better :smile2:

I ditto the AcipHex. I have been taking Zantac & Cimitidine since Aug w/ not help for the majority of the time.

But as soon as I started the AcipHex I have had 99.99% relief. One day I had a little bit of pain - little bit - from not taking a pill in over a day and a half.

Be careful though - I have just found out that I have a slippage, and the reflux for me and as I have read for others is a symptom.

You can also try chewable papaya tablets, or the fruit itself. The tablets can be purchased at Walgreens - very inexpensive.

A glass of low fat milk drunk slowly works for me --- i ever chuck everything or the burning is 99% gone.Let me know if works for you worked for me and my friends.

I went for my second unfill yesterday. I hope this helps. But over the weekend my gall bladder attacked me and had to be removed. So I of course have swelling from the surgery. But I couldn't keep anything down and the acid reflux was so bad, I called my doc and he did a little unfill. I'm scheduled to go back for a fill in 2 weeks. We will see. I'm now at 5.5 cc in a 10 cc band. I don't want to start "pigging" out. I liked the restriction I had prior to the unfill. But I will wait the 2 weeks and see how I feel.

Hi, I have been using pine nut oil and it has been very helpful with reflux. I actually stop taking any anti acid pills after I started taking this product. What you do is just take a tablespoon twice a day before meals and that's it. I hope this helps. There is a website where you can buy a bottle for about 29.99 but it is worth it. It does not taste bad.

Leticia