Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calories...the 1st 6 weeks...How Many?

I was banded 3/31/08 and the doctor/dietician gave me 3 packets (each contradicting eachother slightly) about what to eat the first 6 weeks (and beyond). They all say liquids the first 6 weeks...no mushies, no soft foods. IF I am hungry (I haven't been...mostly nauseated), then a cream Soup or a low sugar Protein Shake. Everything else is sugar free...popsicles, Water, flavored water, Decaf tea, etc.

I have had the following "food" items

4-5-08 Saturday 2/3 of a no sugar added Carnation Instant Breakfast with 1% milk

4-6-08 Sunday about a cup of Campbell's Tomato Soup

4-8-08 Tuesday about 5 oz. of a regular store brand yogurt smoothie (probably too much sugar)

All three have given me diarrhea (is this normal?).

My other question is...how many calories do I need? I really don't feel the need to eat, right now.

I was banded 3/28. My doctor sent me home on pureed for 4 weeks. I had diarrhea until today, I think when there are no solids going in it is not going to be likely to get it coming out! My doc didn't give me a calorie goal, just told me to eat when I am hungry, make healthy choices, and quit when full. I get about 800 - 1000 cals a day so far but am starting to get an appetite back.

You could also be having diarrhea from the dairy products you are ingesting. My nut said some people develop a sensitivity to it after surgery. You can try lactaid milk or soy milk and see if it subsides.

I am 4 weeks out as of today and I am doing solids. I limit myself to 1050 calories a day. But the first few weeks I was good if I got 500 calories in. I don't have a fill and I'm comfy with 1050 a day as of now.

Hi,

I was banded on 4/8, so I am only a few days out. I'm on Clear Liquids for week 1, full liquids for week 2 - 4 (I actually get more info on my next nutritional meeting on Monday, 4/14. I'm pretty sure I can start mushies/solids at that point. I know this first week, I am supposed to be getting 500 - 600 calories a day.

Good luck to you.

Alice

I was banded 3/31/08 and the doctor/dietician gave me 3 packets (each contradicting eachother slightly) about what to eat the first 6 weeks (and beyond). They all say liquids the first 6 weeks...no mushies, no soft foods. IF I am hungry (I haven't been...mostly nauseated), then a cream Soup or a low sugar Protein shake. Everything else is sugar free...popsicles, Water, flavored water, Decaf tea, etc.

I have had the following "food" items

4-5-08 Saturday 2/3 of a no sugar added Carnation Instant Breakfast with 1% milk

4-6-08 Sunday about a cup of Campbell's Tomato Soup

4-8-08 Tuesday about 5 oz. of a regular store brand yogurt smoothie (probably too much sugar)

All three have given me diarrhea (is this normal?).

My other question is...how many calories do I need? I really don't feel the need to eat, right now.

I was advised if I wasn't that hungry to concentrate on getting my Protein in first. so I drank the Isopure CLEAR premixed drink. A half bottle (10 oz) has 20 grams of protein. Some people don;t love the taste, but they have many flavors and ice cold they're not bad. But it's really not about the taste, it was about getting the protein in.

I don;t see you've listed anything with a lot of protein in it. did your office give you a mimimum protein requirement that you want you to get in everyday?

Liquids in = liquids out.

I am going to type exactly what the doctor's packet says...

Weeks 1-2

"We strongly advise that for the first six weeks after surgery you should consume liquids only...Furthermore, we feel that hydration is the only important function of oral intake for the first few weeks after surgery. So your main intake should be thin liquids (zero calorie) i.e. Water and other sugar-free liquids and you should only consume small amounts of liquid Protein (no sugar drinks) if you are hungry. Even at this early it is important to minimize sugar, so milk shakes and ice cream are definite "no-no's.""

Weeks 3-6

"If you are tolerating the clear liquid diet after the first two weeks and you feel like your appetite is not controlled with sugar-free liquids then add thicker liquid foods to your rapid weight loss plan. Also remeber warm foods create a sense of increased satiety so high Protein fortified creamy Soups are a great option. High protein low sugar creamy shakes are another alternative if you are hungry and wanting a quick alternative."

How in the F*&% can hunger be controlled with zero calorie liquids?

I am 12 days out and starving...I did do soups...didn't realize that I had advanced the diet already.

The packet neither gives requirements for calories nor protein.

Edited by raedelicious

It sounds like they are suggesting you have Clear Liquids the first two weeks. Beef or chicken broth and sugar free Jello are examples of that. My Dr, suggested the Isopure CLEAR at this stage. 1/2 bottle is only 80 calories but 20 gms of Protein.

the next two weeks they are suggesting a "full" liquid diet. This is creamier Soups, Protein shakes ( low sugar ones), drinks made from skim milk etc.

Many people are unable to consume much in the first two weeks due to post op swelling and a tight band and are not very hungry.

Others, like you, might have less swelling and are hungrier sooner.

In the first few weeks post op many Dr's are not worried about your calorie intake and more concerned about your inside healing.

They prefer a liquid diet so you stomach does not work hard to digest more solid food.

the Protein Drinks can help keep you satisifed longer than higher carb drinks.< /p>

I think I needed some Protein, so I went to Wal-Mart and bought Slim Fast's low carb chocolate shake and EAS's chocolate shake...Gonna do a taste test...they are pretty even in the carbs and Protein categories, but the Slim Fast fat content is 3 times higher.

I had half of a Slim Fast last night...it was tolerable...

I had half of the EAS this morning...it was tolerable...

Jack, you rock:)! Thanks for the positive and dead on thoughts! This is one hard journey;some days I have smooth sailing and some days rough seas.

BTW, those dragons of Habit, Gluttony, Sloth, Desperation are mighty fierce.

I even printed out your reply.

Edited by raedelicious

TY Lise:) Monday will be 3 weeks since surgery and I think I am doing about 600-700. So, I am on target. I didn't lose anything for about 6 days and was think I was consuming too much or not enough, but I hopped on the scale this morning and another 2 pounds lost:)

Ahhh - get used to the stalls! I have had a pattern of 4-5 days of nothing, then all of a sudden 2 pounds down...then another couple days of nothing. I'm becoming much better with dealing with the stalls because I know that if I just stick with it, the pounds will drop after a few days. :thumbup: It looks like you are following the same pattern! See my fitday chart...lots of stalls - but then drops!

fitdayshot1.jpg

TY Lise:) Monday will be 3 weeks since surgery and I think I am doing about 600-700. So, I am on target. I didn't lose anything for about 6 days and was think I was consuming too much or not enough, but I hopped on the scale this morning and another 2 pounds lost:)