Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else having problems after band removed?

You should not have problems after removal of the band. If you are, something may be wrong. After the band has been present for a long time, a sheath of scar tissue forms around it. When the band is removed, that scar tissue may remain and act as a pseudo-band, even if the band is removed. I've seen this on several of my patients. You have to remove this scar tissue to allow the stomach to go back to its previous shape. If you are having problems you should have your doctor order an upper GI series to see what your stomach looks like.

Mark Pleatman MD

Web page: Index

I had my band removed on 3/3/09. I felt IMMEDIATE relief from the months prior of constant reflux, all day and night, getting stuck on everything. My band slipped and caused all of this outrageous reflux that no medicine could control. The Dr. went in to fix my slipped band and ended up having to take the whole thing out. Said I was too damaged and inflamed, he didn't think it was wise to fix or replace. Just having mild heartburn like I did before the band.

That's too bad. It's generally best to convert to gastric bypass or sleeve gastrectomy at the same time. Now you won't be able to have anything done (if you want insurance to cover it)until you regain all the weight again.

Mark Pleatman MD

Index

248-334-5444

Hey smwww...If you are asking me why i had mine removed. It gave me problems off & on thru the years. I was never able to hold a fill and eventually it got to where i had to put myself on a liquid diet due to vomitting so much. I basically got sick of living that way. I hope that answers your question. I wish you luck with yours. Some people do really good with the band, i just wasnt one of them :-(

I am having my band removed june 8th after 2 1/2 years..can't stop vomiting. How was the surgery. I know they have to cut you to have the port out..How was your recovery?

Edited by nancylabels
added more info

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 2 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Having gall bladder surgery in a few days and I so hope the recovery is easier than the one from the modified DS! I could use a bit of luck/pep talk for a change. I'm starting to be able to walk around without experiencing dizziness, but it would be great if the random pain in my chest and abdomen would go away!!
      · 0 replies
    • Dawn 1974

4/4/2024 - new patient orientation. Wt 313
      4/5/2024 - got all my lab work done.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!