Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help setting goal

Hi!

When I began this journey, I thought I'd be at my perfect weight at about 175 or 180 - I'm 5' 9.5". At my last appointment for a fill, my NP told me that I should be shooting for about 165 - that this would make me at my perfect BMI. What I'm wondering is what everyone's opinions are about how important the actual number is. Here's the thing. I feel great. I look better than I've looked in my entire adult life. I am so happy it's not even funny. I've finally managed to stop looking in the women's section of stores and shop solely in the misses area. That was really hard to do, but I finally made it.

I think I'm looking great, but my family is worried that I'll go too far. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Steph

stefgray, I'm taller than you and a range of about 175 - 183 is my goal weight based on the fact that it puts be into a "normal" BMI. Anything more than that and I'm still classified as overweight.

if you're happy with where you're at, then stop. But if numbers, sizes, medical classifications, etc. are a concern to you, pick the one you like and go for it.

Steph, don't you hate it when you look and feel good and believe you are goal the doctors say no because your BMI isn't right? I am 5'8 so we are close in size. My lapband surgeon and I agreed that 185 would be a really good weight for me. I think the BMI is about 27 or 28% at that level. Weight Watchers as me about 162 or so. I look emancipated at that weight. Tried that before. I am currently in a size 16 at 218. I am totally fine with getting to 185-200 and a size 14. I am actually ready for plastic surgery already. I go in 4/21 for my Tummy Tuck and thigh lift. Listen to your body. If you feel great at 175 why battle the ups and downs of trying to maintain a lower weight. Just my 2 cents. Julie

It's funny because my doc originially helped me set the goal that would make me 5 pounds above a normal BMI (150 pounds), but now at 160 he would like to see me stop losing. Now I am a numbers person (chemist/chemistry teacher) so I like numbers but after much soul searching and tears I am where I want to be. The scale is just a number and I for one think that I should be defined more than by one number. I am healthy, active, eating right and at a place mentally that when I look in the mirror (with my clothes on...naked is a plastic surgery issue!) I am happy with myself. That for me is goal. Technically my ticker has 1 pound to go and it will probably get lost as I transition into maintenance but it will certainly go away when I lose my Jabba-the-Hut Belly! It is all about being happy...not content...but happy with where you are.

That is a very good question. I have been wondering the same thing myself.

I thought originally that I would be thrilled to weigh 145. I am only 5'2"

I chose that weight from looking at old pictures of myself. I know what I weighed in that picture and I thought I looked pretty good.

Now that I am only 5 lbs away from it, I am wondering if I will keep losing. 145 is still overweight for someone 5'2" The only thing I can conclude is that I will keep eating the way I have been and see whether or not I keep losing or just maintain when I get to 145.

Goal is hard. I picked 120 (at 5'0") just because it was towards the upper end of healthy for my height. I don't want to end up bony or look ill.

My doc suggested 130 for me that it would be easier to maintain. I'm 11 pounds from docs idea of goal and he may have been right. I'm pretty happy with wear I'm at (at least clothed). The next 11 pounds should really fix what's left of my problem area (back and tummy).

I can't convince myself to change goal though - I guess I will have to get there and make a final determination.

Personally - I really wanted my BMI to be "normal" instead of overweight. **sigh**

Good luck getting those final pounds to goal!!!

wombat

Yeah, I would like to have a normal bmi too. I am 55 though, and the more weight I lose, the worse my face looks.I didn't have any wrinkles when my face was fat. It's a sad trade off! :eek::thumbup:

Yeah I wanted to reach 220 and I hit that with no problem. I have changed my goal to 195-200 range which would give me a flat belly and based on diet might get me a little definition in my abs.

I set an initial goal of 180 and now that I am here, I have moved my final goal to 150. I am unsure how hard it will be to get to 150, but I want to try. If it is impossible to maintain without massive daily effort, I can live with 180.

Right now I am in unfill mode. My band was flat and my doc wanted to see if an unfill would allow it to return to an angled position closer to my post-op image. I have struggled to stay within 5 pounds of my pre-unfill weight, but I have overdone it a bit in the last few days. I take this as confirmation that the band works as it should for me. It limits the volume and the rest, food and exercise choices, are my responsibility.

So this Friday we will see what my band is up to and hopefully, I can return to restriction bliss and start the long slow march to 150.

Thanks for sharing on this topic. It is interesting how few people stick around on the boards after they reach or are close to goal.

Lanie

Awesome question-I am at the same place! I have been very heavy my entire life-in 7th grade, I was 215. My personal goal for myself was 165, and I am 4 lbs from it, and feel like I could loose more. My doctor wants me to be between 135-145 (im 5'3), but am not sure. Maybe we can compromise and say 150. Isn't it funny when you look at your BMI, and it says that you are 'still overweight' yet you are the lowest weight you've been in years? I have to laugh a little about that.

I really wish there were more posts in this section as maintenance and goal weight is all that is on my mind lately!

I am 9 lbs from my goal of 140. I am 46 years old and 5'7" tall. Currently I am mostly wearing size 6 and size 7. On Friday, I actually wore a pair of size 4 lucky brand jeans out in public.

No one helped me pick the goal of 140, I have pretty much been on my own in this journey. I do know if I have one more person tell me that I am too skinny and they don't know where the last pounds will come from I am going to scream and choke them! When I take off my clothes I know exactly where it can come from and 9 lbs is nothing.

I read somewhere that a BMI of 22 is the healthiest bmi. That at 22 you have the least sickness etc...so I used the calculators and figured out that at 140 my bmi is 22. That is how I picked my goal.

my doc has never discussed specific goals with me as long as I was losing. I am five foot six with a highest weight ever as 368 (300.5 on surgery day on 1/19/07). While I would love a BMI within normal limtis for my height (185 highest), I would be content to just see 199, be in Onderland for once in my life (except for as a young child) & maintain at 195-199. Today, I am around 225 (prolonged plateau) so 26-30 pounds to go. But who knows, that 185 might creep back into my mind if I were to hit my 199 goal.