Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else here a member of NA? Would love to chat with ya!

Hey Kim!! I'm Kelli, also a grateful recovering addict. Nice to meet you! Looks like we got banded around the same time. How are you doing? Did you tell people in the fellowship you were having the surgery? (If you don't mind sharing?)

Hi Kelli!

I am doing well, thank you. How about you?

For me Yes I did tell my home group....because I was afraid of the pain meds....so in order to keep myself safe I talked alot about the feelings i Was going through. I am the type that doesnt give a hoot about what anyone thinks...I am there to save my butt and talk about whatever I need to ...to keep my seat!

Welcome! Glad you're here. If it makes you feel any better, the pain wasn't that bad for me. I don't know if you've had any surgeries before, but in comparison with the children and 2 surgeries (gall bladder and tubal) this was a breeze. I am married to a recovering addict, so I shared my concerns with him about the pain meds. I told him how my pain was, and how often I was supposed to take the meds. He helped me keep track and stay accountable. I only took them them for 2 days, and then 1 more pill on the 3rd day and I was good to go. I wish you much success on your journey!

Thanks for the reply,

My sponsor said he would hold my pain meds, and give me a days worth at a time.

More folks seem to relapse over surgery and relationships!

I'm clean and sober for almost 5 years, my life is good and now getting the band.

Congrats on the clean time! That speaks for itself! I have been clean 6 years, will be 7 in July. My husband just celebrated 11 yrs. Your surgery is coming up soon! Be sure to let us know how you're doing!

Thanks for the update! Glad you're home! Sorry about the catheter. Did they say how long you have to keep it? I'm sure it's only a temporary problem, right? Keep us updated!

Yup I'm fine, the catheter came out this morning and five tense hours later.... all systems go. Now just some minor tummy pain, walking helps, didn't take any pain meds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today is day three on my Protein shakes, I am doing much better then I thought I would. I do have the headaches, bad mood and my stomach feels tight. I am assuming that is because something is shrinking? But I have done very well. Thanks for everyones support. 3 days down, 11 days to go till surgery. YEAH. I am truly blessed today.

My concern is I just took a week of pre-scheduled vacation, back to work for two weeks, then out for two weeks after the surgery. It sounds like everyone is back to work pretty quick. Why is my Doc making me take two weeks? Also, regarding pain....I am a recovering addict; I am wondering will I be able to do it with out any narcotics? I am ok with taking Tylenol.

Is there anyone out there who used Dr. Hamamji, St.Joseph's, Orange, CA?

event.png

God Bless:lol:

Debbie

I think my doc would have let me go back sooner, but I had 2 weeks of pre-approved leave, so I took advantage of it. I felt like going back after a week, and I've heard others say they've gone back in only a few days.

As for the meds, I did get a narcotic prescription, had someone hold me accountable, took them only a few times, and then asked my husband to throw them away. Really, after day 2, I was ok on liquid tylenol. I would suggest telling the doctor your concerns so you can find out what your options are.

Much success on your journey! Let us know how it goes!

Hi, good luck on your banding. For me, I went back to work in a week with not much problem. I didn't have to take any pain meds other than some liquid tylanol. I was concerned about taking anything stronger. If I had to I would have but didn't have to. I'm 9 days post op and doing great. First fill is set for 4/18. Have lost 35 pds. Didn't cheat on the pre op diet and really shrunk the old liver, had a 12 min. surgery, the quickest I have ever heard of, in large part do to a very good Dr. and a very small liver.