Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gall stones...anyone?

Over this past weekend, I experienced more pain than I've ever felt. Turns out it was gall stones. (Now thinking back, I think I attibuted a couple attacks of my gall stones to the band.)

Now I'm up for surgery in the next couple weeks and I'm nervous about it.

I knew that the chances are higher with rapid weight loss. Perhaps I should have had more water!

It's been 5 months since the surgery (in Sept) and I'm wondering if anyone else has had gall bladder attacks and/or stones?

Yes I had gallstones right after I got married...think the pill contributed to it. I was living in London, England, and they are on socialized medicine, so I had to wait 6 weeks for an ultrasound, then 18 months for the surgery.

The attacks were unbearable, probably should have gone to the ER, but I was so scared. I can remember crawling from the bathroom to bed.

After my surgery they gave me my gallstones, they were the color of my hair, kinda reddish brown. There were 117 of them, the looked like gravel that is in aquariums. The surgery wasn't bad at all. The gas that settled in my chest was worse than the surgery. You can't even see the scars anymore.

Wow...six weeks for an ultrasound - I think I'd have died. I didn't handle my attacks very well at all.

Right now I'm waiting until Monday to see my surgeon to schedule the surgery...and I'm scared I'll have another one between then and now. I'm eating lots of oatmeal and low-fat Soups. I do not want another attack!

How did you manage to wait that long until surgery? Did you eat around it, or just bear it through the attacks?

I think I may be having some gallbladder attacks. So far, I've had 2 episodes. One was a stabbing, cramping, sharp pain in my lower back, it started right after I started eating one night and lasted for about 30-45 minutes. The other night, I had another stabbing, sharp pain right around my ribcage on my right side, it lasted for about 30 minutes.

I was trying to figure out if I need to wait and see if I have another episode or go ahead and make an appointment. How do they know if it is gallbladder attacks?

My doctor did a sonogram to see them. She also pressed on my belly (pre-sonogram). She wanted to rule out gall stones w/the sonogram, but I've read that sometimes you can't see them even then - if they're small.

If I could turn back the clock, I think I'd have mine checked the first couple times I had the attacks. The last one had me in tears.

Also, I couldn't get comfortable. I was taking Gas-Ex and thought it was gas pain, but it just wouldn't go away. That was different than any band-related bloating I'd had before.

I lived on chicken and rice for 18 months. Lost a lot of weight mind you. The first time the Dr examined my abdomen it hurt so bad I sat straight up.

A friend of mine who also had the problem before, said she would rather push out a baby anyday, than have one gallblader attack.

Keep me posted. I've been in those shoes, and they are NOT comfortable.

Will do! ;) I've been eating the oatmeal and Soup diet the past week.

Tonight my friends had a tea party, complete with tea cakes and goodies. I did go, sipped the Decaf tea and ate some fruit. It was tough watching them eat stuff and not being able to do it, but pain is a good deterent. I wish getting fat worked as well, or I wouldn't be in this position. :)

I am begining to think that mine was just a freak pain. I think my back pain was caused by a kidney infection, it has gotten better. But the pain on my side hasn't come back, so I don't know. The pain in my side wasn't near as bad as having a baby. Maybe I should just wait it out and see?

Well, if it is gallbladder you can be sure you will have another one. I hope it's not gallbladder for your sake. Cause it is NO FUN.

Well, if it is gallbladder you can be sure you will have another one. I hope it's not gallbladder for your sake. Cause it is NO FUN.

I hope it's not too!

PS: Georgia Girl, is that a new picture of you???? =)

Yes, that is a picture I snapped the other night for the hair thread in the twenties forum. I've lost about 10 lbs since the previous picture I had taken, so I thought I would update the avatar too!

Okay - Update:

I had the surgery today. I'm home now, and am doped up on pain meds, so I'm not sure if it hurts or not. :rolleyes2: ha ha.

I'm up and walking around, and it's much better than the band surgery.

I think because this time they gave me something for naseau after. The first thing I said when I woke up from the band was, "I'm going to throw up!" So, they think I may have had a reaction to the anesthesia, which they prevented this time w/the nausea meds.

So far so good. I'm on lap band liquids for the next 2 days, then back to normal band diet. He didn't have to do an unfill, which he said he may have had to do if there was a problem.

What was really great was my band doc did the lap cholestyctemy (sp?), so when he was in there, he peeked at my band and was able to see if it was doing all right or not. :tt2: So, that was really cool.

Anyway, thanks to all for your support! It's going to be nice to be able to eat and not worry about pain.