Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pittsburgh Banders

That is interesting.. do you miss those things you talked about? Are you able to still enjoy food but only in a more sensible way? that is the question... I guess I think I will never "eat again?" ..

I'm only at the start of this journey - I'm still collecting the endless paperwork and visits and consults.

but -

I've never felt so strongly about anything in a very very long time.

Even going to college, marrying (twice) and having children (3) filled me with doubts.

I've been voluntarily home-bound for about a year or two - absolutely humiliated about my appearance - I haven't bought clothing in a long time and I can't even get a pair of shoes to fit.

I'm a great cook - always from scratch - love to make all kinds of bread - Italian background (that will be a very hard gene to ignore!)

But

I see a window of opportunity here.

Children are grown and wonderful

No grandchildren on the horizon yet

A husband (I call him St. John the Silent) has finally smiled at me and is TALKING about things other than weather and new tires for the car.

(He's surprisingly supportive and not a big eater so that's a help - and he wants to start kayaking)

I'm trying to set new paradigms about food and habits -

One little change at a time.

Less quantity and new rules -

No eating in front of the TV

or PC

or in bed

or over the sink.

Eat at the kitchen or the dining room table with china (probably a saucer)

I guess my vision of my future of both physical and emotional health is overwhelming me right now.

After the surgery I hope to spend less time in the kitchen and more time in my studio - where I almost never eat.

('cuz I'm sooooo clumsy) :)

Edited by Elayne

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to get up my TickerFactory.com. Where do you put it once you are in "Edit Signature" (in the big message box or below)? Does it show up right away or just a link?

Hi everyone! I just attended the seminar last night at Magee. I didn't feel hideously out of place...my BMI is 35.7 (if I drink a lot of Water before I get weighed! :)) and I have comorbidities - asthma, arthritis, possible metabolic syndrome, fatty liver, high cholestoral and triglycerides plus my mom died of a massive heart attack when she was 40. I am 45 now and I am sick of the back and forth of dieting. I lose, then I get bored or something happens and I gain it back and more. Everyone asks me how the band will be different since you STILL have to diet...I figure that yeah, but the weight loss is more consistent. I just am really worried about speaking to my PCP. I am worried he won't think the band is necessary. For those of you doing the Magee classes...how much do they cost? They said last night that insurance doesn't cover them. And what did you say to your PCP when you brought it up? I see him on the 25th.

Hello everyone,

My name is Amanda - 30 years old from the good ol Mon Valley

( about 40 miles south of Pittsburgh) I will be attending the informational seminar at Magee on December 3rd. I am new to this journey and although confident I am making the right decision I'm a little overwhelmed with everything I need to do before I will be approved. I have Highmark insurance and I contacted them -basically the same as most insurances, nutritional counseling and weight management for 6 months and then they'll pay 100% of the procedure. When I called Magee she told me to "start" with the seminar and go from there. I just want to take all of the proper steps towards my approval. I haven't seen my PCP yet, I see her on the 18th and I feel confident that she'll assist me with whatever I need to get this done. I am 5'6 and 270 pounds which puts my BMI around 43 - I dont have any complications from the weight at this time ( thank goodness) except for PCOS but my BMI alone makes me a good candidate.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, what kind of pre-op testing do you need to go through. I've read everywhere from a sleep study to a stress test...does this depend on the insurance or the surgeon?!? Yikes.

Thanks.

Hi all - I am a 37 year old from State College PA. This forum is the closest I could find to someone in my area. I am in the beginning stages of the journey towards lap band surgery. I am looking for some friends to help me along the way and to provide guidance and support. I have 120 lbs to lose (5'2, 248 lbs :blink:). Every story I read is exactly the same as mine and it's good to know that I am not alone. I am having my classes through Geisinger and will have (hopefully) surgery in Danville. My insurance is Capital Blue Cross. I thankfully, do not have any other health conditions other than my weight. I am also on Chantix to quit smoking. I am proud to say that I have been smoke free for 4 days. I hope you don't mind hearing my life story, but I have so many questions about the process and I am just seeking some friends to help me out. Any advice you can pass along would be great. Thanks so much!!

Is there anyone out there from Indiana County? I am seriousy considering having lap band done, but I dont think I would be able to travel to Pgh for the classes. (its about 1hr, 1 1/2 hrs away) and with two kids, i would never make them.

Also, any advice for someone with Highmark BCBS PPO? Or a sympathetic PCP? I couldnt even talk to mine about prescription meds for weight loss without being snarled at. So, now im afraid to go back for any appt, let alone to talk about weight loss surgery.

Here is my story,

I am 5'2", about 200lbs, im not really sure, threw the scale away a long time ago.

My biggest hurdle is my husband. He is totally against me having the surgery. He actually is a better candidate that I am, my BMI is 35.5 and his is 42.

I think he is afraid that if I lose weight I'm going to leave him, due to someone he knows that left her husband after losing 200plus lbs after surgery.

I dont know what to do anymore. Ill lose 20lbs dieting, then 6 months later gain it all back and then some.

My husband has never said anything about my weight, but I know his friends make comments about it. It sucks.

That, and ive had a horrible time trying to talk to my doctor about my options. His advice was "Just eat less, get up and move more. Problem solved."

so, yeah, looking for a new doctor.

Any advice on husband/doctor difficulties?

I told my BFF I was thinking of this and her answer was the same...eat less, move more. I am just hoping my PCP goes for this. I think he will...he put me on xenical at my request last summer. He knows I want to lose and he knows my history of trying and gaining. I am waiting to hear back from Magee about whether or not they think I am eligible. I am not sure of their history with low BMIers.

Anyway, I am sure it makes your husband worry. I think another of my friend's feels the same way. She needs to have it done more than me and won't even go there. She doesn't think I am "fat" enough but she is supportive. I don't have any advice for you...but good for you for doing something positive for yourself!!!

Whenever the doctor decides what your BMI is to qualify, is it at your initial apt with your PCP to get the preliminary co-morbid tests done, i.e. cholesterol, blood pressure, gall bladder ect. ect.? or is it when you have a surgeon consult?

I dont want to start documenting a 6 month diet before my surgeon visit if it will drop my BMI down too low.

My insurance seems to find every little loophole to get out of paying for treatment. (currently in a battle with them over a $15 co-pay that they are telling me was never paid. so i can only imagine what they'll put me through for this $$)

Someone had asked about using Highmark BCBS - I have the same insurance and when I called them they told me to go to their website where I could print out all of the "eligibility" information for weight loss surgery. Seems they will pay 100% if you go though the 6 month jazz with your PCP. I've also heard from others that Highmark wasn't too hard to get approval.

I have my first class at Magee on December 3rd then I see my PCP on Dec 11th. I'm still clueless as to how this all comes together. I recently switched PCP's but she seems really nice and understanding and I HOPE she doesn't give me any problems. As far as my weight goes, she can look back through my medical records from my old PCP and see I've been struggling with my weight for years and years.

I'm curious does anyone know what preop testing the Dr's at Magee require? I've read everything from sleep study to colonoscopy... EEK!!!

I think the amount of pre-op testing depends on your particular dr/surgeon and your potential co-morbidities. Then again, it could be how particular your insurance wants to be about verifing "medical necessity". just my best guess though. it seems some people have tons of test, while others only have a few.