Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need to shrink my liver.....fast!!!

My understanding of a pre-op diet for the band is to shrink your liver so it is firm instead of squishy, smaller instead of large and in the way and also, remove the fat around the outside of it.... the liver is an organ that can get in the way of placing of the band and can even mean, a band can not be placed in some circumstances if it is not in the appropriate condition. Also, when it is fatty and squishy, it can be knicked during the surgery and tends to bleed a lot and can lead to serious complications. So, I am not sure what the purpose is of a liquid diet for 2 weeks, unless it is high Protein and low carb, as this type of diet achieves the above condition prior to surgery. But, I am not a doctor, so I only know what I have researched. My surgeon's pre-op, liver shrinking diet consists of Protein (low carb) shakes and bars for Breakfast and lunch (up to a certain number of carbs allowed for each of these meals), then all the lean protein at dinner time with about 1 cup of steamed veggies and then about a half cup of cottage cheese or salad with low carb dressing. That's it for 1-3 weeks, depending on your BMI... lower BMI's may not need to do this pre-op plan. Anyway, it's best to follow your surgeon's pre-op instructions. Part of why I chose my surgeon in Mexico is that I agreed with his philosophy on many things including pre-op issues.

Kammi in Everett, WA

soon to be banded 5/27/08

Dr. Kuri - Mexico

Guest Bobbye1948

You know I dont want to bust your bubble but I figure that if I am going to go to the trouble of getting this done I dont think I would mess it up by not following the diet.

I havent had the surgery yet but I have had no flavored drinks since January and no caffeine. I have to drink only Water till my appt. with the dietician.

My belief is, if you follow their instructions the procedure should go on with out any problems. Well I am sorry to be such a downer but sometimes we all need to be told what to do. I do wish you luck. As a 'fatty' I know how hard it is to loose weight and I simpathize with your problem. I will have to loose over 150 lbs to get to my goal weight and I know it is going to be hard.

I just want to be thin again. (I was a size 8 when I got married, I am now 60 years old)

Good luck friend.

I think anyone can survive a week or 2 of eating stuff they don't "like". Just keep the goal in sight and white knuckle it through. It's definitely not easy, but when you get to the pre-op diet stage, you can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Time to commit to your new life, you can do it!

My understanding is that it depends on your BMI... if you are over like a 47 or 48 then you need to do the liver shrinking diet.... if you are lower than that, it could actually be the wrong thing to do the LSD.... did your doctor tell you that you needed to shrink your liver? 1-2 weeks is all you need of the LSD if your BMI is high.... if you need the specific diet, I can email you the one recommended from my doctor... however it is not a recommendation from me, just passing on what I will be doing prior to surgery. Send me a private message if you would like me to send you the diet...

Kammi in Everett, WA

Dr. Kuri - Mexico

I don't think there is any specific parameter for BMI to whether or not you need to shrink your liver, I believe it's more based on surgeons. I started with a BMI of 50 - no preop diet required, surgery went very well as did the healing afterwards.

:rolleyes2:wow.......well instructions are important:thumbup:! i have not yet started my two weeks preop diet, but i do believe its a reason for doing it ITS very important:thumbup: IF UR doctor requires it. it will be rough, but you can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes2: u can!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :tt1:just think about the reason you are getting banded in the first place when i think about it NO:drool: food taste as good as skinny :tt2:is going to fill! i pray that God strenghtens u and u will do fine!

i will look 4 u on the other side of the scale!

Good Luck:biggrin:

I first think you should follow your doctors recommendations.... you can't eat unsweetened applesauce and sugar-free oatmeal as they are high high high in carbs, which convert to sugar in your body and that will definately not be the way to go... if you want to see what my pre-op, liver shrinking diet consists of I can email it to you, but please email me privately. I am not recommending it, just sharing what I will be doing.

Kammi in Everett, WA

kamicola@yahoo.com

I do believe that the liver shrinking diet should be done by everyone (except those that only qualify for the surgery by a few pounds, then you would probably lose weight and might get bumped out of qualifying. The LSD will not hurt you and also jumps starts your weight loss by 5-20 pounds. You only want to do it 2-3 weeks and not over 4 weeks. You must also do it for the full two weeks without cheating as it puts your body into ketosis and by cheating or doing it shorter than 2 weeks, it won't work. I disagree that it doesn't have anything to do with your BMI.... the higher your BMI, the more fat you have on your liver and the softer and larger your liver is. IF it is knicked during surgery, if they can work around it due to it being enlarged, it could cause major complications and also have know several people that couldn't go through with surgery because of the risks.

Ang1982... you were one of the lucky ones... it is not the case for a lot of people... I am glad your surgery went well... in general, most surgeons do require a pre-op diet for most people, but especially for the ones with higher BMI's. Each surgeon may have a different set of instructions for the diet, but it is common practice.

My nutritionist allowed 7 days of measured foods, hi Protein low carb, and the last 3 days were liquid. I have a fatty liver too, so much so that I was going to be put on a donor list if I didn't loose the weight! The protein I had was egg scrambler (whites only) for breakfast. Then after an hour I drank a carnation instant breakfast low carb no sugar drink. For lunch 2 oz of protein (usually tuna), skim milk, and 1 cup of free veggies, or 1/2 sandwich with 2 oz of meat and 1 tsp of fat free mayo on whole grain or wheat bread only. The veggies were not corn, peas, or any hi carb or sugar veggie. Then I would drink a carnation instant breakfast drink or a slim fast Protein Drink or make my own with whey Protein Powder you can get at Walmart or GNC. dinner was 1 cup of salad, 3 oz of protein meat, and 1/2 cooked veggies. Then at night before I went to bed I drank another protein drink. It seemed like I felt full all the time, probably because I had everything spaced out evenly to where I didn't let the hunger pangs get me before I was drinking or eating something. The 3 days I was on liquids I bought chicken broth, beef broth, Jello (no red), my CIBs, and anything else that looked like I might be able to stomach it! :biggrin: I only lost 7 pounds during this diet but my surgery was fine and my liver is doing great. Just went to my liver doc last Thursday and he was pleased with what the lab work was showing and it has only been 2 months!! I hope this helps!:biggrin2:

My Dr. explained the reason for the low carb diet is it depleats your liver of glycogen. Which is surger that your liver stores for your body to use. I asme this must increase its size. Any of you familure with low carb diets know your body only starts burning body fat after the glycogen is gone and you are no longer ingesting surger. This only takes about a week or so but is imperative that you adhear to the diet. My Dr. told us he had one girl he opperated on and her liver was huge. He closed back up . Her parents told him she had not stuck to the diet and was eating frenchfries up until the night before. Her liver was full of glycogen. As far as the fatty part I'm not to sure how quickly you lose that fat. I stuck to my diet as did my daughter. She lost about 10lbs I lost about 4Lbs. We were just fine .WE have each lost aroud 20Lbs post-op. Our surgerys were 2weeks ago. Lizzieann

That's excellent... I am having surgery with my husband and parents at the end of May... I hope to lose 10 or so pounds prior to surgery and hope I am as lucky as you and lose about 20 post op in 2 weeks. ... that would be great!

Kammi in Everett. WA

I laughed when I saw this post tonight because I am the original poster and I posted this before my banding with was 2/13! For the record, what I ended up doing is nothing!! My doctor here in Oregon only had us do liquids 24 hours prior to surgery so even though I had eaten only crap up until that point I just went for the 24 hr. liquid before. After surgery she said my liver was "perfect". I was happy I didn't make a big fuss!

Marie

I Think That Walmart Has Liver-shrinkers....19.95....i Think I Saw Them There ............sorry Could Not Resist!!!!!! Good Luck W/ Everything!

:) J

Glycogen is a type of carbohydrate stored in the muscle and liver. When people lose massive amounts of weight in short periods of time especially right after banding, it is usually due to glycogen. For every gram of glycogen burned it requires 4gms of Water so in essence, 80% of FAST weight loss is Water, 20% is glycogen, and then comes fat.

Without the liver shrinking diet the liver is engorged, slippery, and slimy. It makes surgery very difficult at best and also very dangerous for the patient. A lower BMI person can potentially have a very fatty liver but it is more common the higher your BMI.

The only thing that really gets rid of glycogen is going low carb. I have yet to find a study that supports liquid diets over low carb. I don't understand why docs do this. There is no value in liquid over low carb. I don't know if they want to see commitment or what their reasoning is.

Keeping in mind that each doc is different, mine has people with a BMI of 40 or more do the diet and his is 30gms carbs max per day, low fat, adequate Protein, and unlimited calories. So basically you could eat 20 chickens if you wanted to.

But, each doctor is different. If your suggests all liquid, ask why? Ask how that is more beneficial over basic Atkins for liver shrinking. Make him explain his reasoning. Ask him for studies to show all liquids or all yogurt is superior for liver shrinking. If he gives them to you, post them. I'd love to see them.