Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Plastic Surgery Terms for Weight Loss Patients

I picked this up at my band surgeon's office yesterday. Thought I'd share:

Plastic Surgery - Surgery performed by a Plastic Surgeon to modify and change the appearance of an individual. The emphasis is on the change of one's appearance and no actual plastic is used for most of the operations.

Brachioplasty - This operation is performed to improve the appearance of one's upper arms. Excess arm skin is removed after weight loss. This operation is usually performed after all the weight loss has been obtained and is done under general anesthesia on an out-patient basis. This procedure is considered cosmetic in nature and is not covered by insurance plans.

Mastopexy - This operation is performed to improve the appearance of the breasts. This is an operation that lifts the breasts, changes the size and location of the nipple and aureola, and gives a firmer and more youthful breast. This operation is performed after weight loss has been obtained and is done under general anesthesia on an out-patient basis. This procedure is considered cosmetic in nature and is not covered by insurance plans.

Breast Reduction - This operation is performed to reduce the size and weight of one's breasts and to improve the shape of the breasts as well. In this operation there is a reduction both of breast tissue and skin of the breasts. This operation is performed under general anesthesia on an out-patient basis. This procedure is covered by many insurance plans but does have a minimum amount of breast tissue that must be removed. For this reason, one may have this operation performed before all of the weight loss to assure qualification for insurance coverage. Consult a plastic surgeon about this operation if needed soon after weight loss surgery.

Abdominoplasty - This operation, also referred to as a tummy tuck, is performed to remove excess skin and fat from one's abdomen. This operation is performed under general anesthesia on an out-patient basis. This operation is considered cosmetic in nature and is not covered by insurance companies. This operation would be considered after your weight loss is complete.

Panniculectomy - This operation is performed to remove the excess skin one has on their abdomen that hangs over one's pubis after significant weight loss. This is a medically indicated operation to improve the health of the skin on the abdomen that is frequently infected under the skin. This operation is performed under general anesthesia on an out-patient basis in most circumstances. This is a medically indicated operation and is covered by most insurance plans. This operation would be considered after your weight loss is complete.

Wow. Thanks. I thought I would need a Tummy Tuck but I am pretty sure that after the weight loss, I would need the pann...... (the last one). I already have a lot of skin that hangs down over that area as a result of my pregnancies. Have hopes that insurance may cover it.

I'm having my surgery on April 29th and quite honestly I can hardly wait until I have the problem of excess skin....right now I fill it out to the max! It's so helpful to read these posts and see what I have to consider down the road.

Hi Folks. If anyone approaches the point when a panniculectomy (apron) is going to be done, please be sure to contact local burn centers to possibly donate! I have worked with WLS patients for several years and hear that is a need. Sometimes if insurance won't pay, I have heard that burn centers might help or advise.

Thanks,

SanDiegoSue

I'm having my surgery on April 29th and quite honestly I can hardly wait until I have the problem of excess skin....right now I fill it out to the max! It's so helpful to read these posts and see what I have to consider down the road.

Beckyin Texas would you mind telling me who is doing your band? My daughter & I are very seriously considering this surgery. We have an appointment with a Doctor here in Dallas for 1st consultation. The 1st consultation is set for 5/7/05 and I'm wondering how long the process is to actually getting the surgery done. Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Dixie

since I've had 3 c-sections, my Tummy Tuck will be covered by my insurance company as a "scar revision" due to adhesions. I will only have to pay 250.00. now I just need to hurry up and lose this weight!

Hey

Does anyone know what they call it when you get your inner thighs done? Mine are awful and wrinkly. If I stretch out the skin they look ok. I'd love to have that done. But someone told me that you can end up being permanently stretched open in the vagina from this op which doesn't sound too good.

i talk whit my surgeron about the cosmetic procedures but the doctor tell me that if i like to do estetic procedures he should to do after 2 years after lapband. bacause your body need to be adjusted and need to change your form of life. do excercise, but if after you think is necesary ask your surgeron my Dr can help you if you have cuestions i send i friend of my and he aswer by email free i think is imortant to have diferents opinions of profetionals before stetic procedures

Today, 06:47 PM

lucartwlucy user_offline.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_131891", true);

i talk whit my surgeron about the cosmetic procedures but the doctor tell me that if i like to do estetic procedures he should to do after 2 years after lapband. bacause your body need to be adjusted and need to change your form of life. do excercise, but if after you think is necesary ask your surgeron my Dr can help you if you have cuestions i send i friend of my and he aswer by email free i think is imortant to have diferents opinions of profetionals before stetic procedures

Has anyone heard of a body lift? I have heard that they can lift everything at once including your tummy and thighs. Just curious if this is true or not. If so. I would love to look into this after I have met my goal of weight loss. Thank's, Jen

Yes, I have heard of this and in fact Dr. Mary Shinn in Houston is suppose to be one of the best plastic surgeons in this area.

I would be really curious as to how much something like this would cost. It seems like a major surgery. If any body has any idea as to how much and how long you would be down from this I would love any info. Thanks.:)