Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Fabulous Fourties!!!

Hi everyone. I am 45 and the forties started out great with a new son. Things went down hill from then. I lost my husband 2-1/2 years ago and my mom this past summer. I have two daughters (17 & 14) and my son is 3-1/2. I was supposed to be banded on 2/13/08 but financing fell through. I rescheduled for 3/20/08. I am hoping to start living again after the band. But can you really "start" living at 45 or is it too late. As much as I miss my husband, I don't want to be lonely forever.

Hello Joy: I am so :thumbup:Happy for you. Hope everything goes Great! Keep us posted.

Be Bless!

~WhirlWinds~

Hey Everybody,

Entering the 40's was a problem especially since I look younger and still have a lotta youngster in me. Well I'm over it and plan on making as many improvements as we can.

42, 300.9lbs, 5'11", BMI = 41

12/08/07 - Initial Seminar

12/18/07 - Therapist & Nutritionist Appts.

01/03/08 - Met w/ Dr. Ehrlich - Surgeon, Bloodwork, Gallbladder ultrasound

01/08/08 - Primary Care, EKG, more bloodwork

01/15/08 - Blasted the PC office so the Surgeon's billing dept. should have all of my paperwork

01/29/08 -I got my band date 03/04/08 at St. Vincents in Bridgeport, CT, my pre op diet begins on 2/14/08.

Hang in there everybody, we can do this. Chris = CTman

Hi everone, I am 44, will be 45 in April. It is nice to chat with folk my age for a change. I work with younger women and am the parent of two teenagers - 17 and 15. I too look forward to "me" time but dread being alone. My surgery was November 18, 07 and I had my first fill on January 8. I initially lost 15 quick pounds - in three weeks, but then SLOOOOOWLY lost only 5 more! Next appointment is on Feb 15, hopefully I'll have lost more weight by then. :rolleyes: Sarah

Hi All, wow, I was away from the forum for a month and everything completely changed while I was gone.

I am 41, although I still find that hard to believe. It seems like just yesterday I was graduating high school!

Anywho, I will have been banded for two years on April 28th. I am so embarrassed by my low weight loss, that I have removed my ticker and any reference to it from my signature. I did so awesome the first year. Then, I started having problem after problem. I ended up having a complete unfill in October to help alleviate some of my problems. It worked, thank goodness. I had another fill in December, but my doctor wants to take it very slow because of the problems I had, so I still have no restriction. Ok, here is the really stupid part, I desperately need a fill, but have avoided going to my doctor for one because I am so ashamed and embarrassed about how much weight I have gained. I have gained nearly 20 pounds since my complete unfill. I have completely launched back into all my old habits and can't seem to pull myself out of this downward spiral. I know what I am supposed to be doing, I just can't seem to get motivated to do it.

So, I decided I needed to come back here to get some support. I was so excited to see the new forums with age related threads. I am hoping to get some support from people close to my age who understand what I am going through and will help kick my booty back into gear.

I look forward to getting to know all of you and offering as much support as I can as well.

From one Susan to another, hang in there mate! I know how you feel, both about high school being only yesterday and about not following the rules. I'm still working on my initial fills (had one last month, due for another soon), and I've found I'm getting really sloppy on sticking to the band rules because I have no restriction yet. Maybe you want to try doing a pseudo pre-op diet to kick start you back into weight loss mode? Then follow that up with going back to basics on bandster eating - cutting your food up really small, chewing really well, waiting between bites, no Water with food, etc. I have found that, because I don't get any problems with eating larger bites, I am eating my meals more and more quickly and paying less attention to what I'm doing, and I am kicking myself for it, as my meals are getting larger and my weight loss is stalling.

However, I also found that even when I was "just practising" in the weeks before my pre-op diet, that following the bandster rules really made a difference for me. Giving my body time to feel the food going down really helped in controlling hunger and made me feel full much sooner than when I chowed down at my usual fast pace. All I need to do now is take my own advice, eh?

Anyway, *hugs* and good luck to you in getting back on the wagon!

Cheers!

Fanny (irl Sue/Susan)

Hi Girlies,

I turned 40 in Nov 07 and had my surgery Nov 06 - have lost 70lbs since then although the last few months have been terrible and I've stayed the same - just been yo-yo-ing. I've had my 3rd fill on Mon 4th Feb and that's me up to 9ml in a 10ml band, hoping for true restriction now - will be able to tell when the swelling dies down. liquid is taking it's time to go through so hoping this will be the sweet spot for me.

Wishing you all continued success with your bands.

Yvonne

x

hello everyone - I guess no one is posting on the other thread anymore so I'll jump in here.

(((Fatwidow))) first of all you MUST change your name to something more positive. We had a chubbygirl on here and I told her the same thing and believe me when I say she is NOT the chubby girl any longer. I think you should be Sexywidow :confused: Yes there is time to have a wonderful new start on life. I hope that somehow you are able to get the band, it was the best thing I ever did. I was just shy of turning 45 when I had it done, I lost 65 and feel sexy, healthy and wonderful. I've been married for 28 years and sex is just as good as it was when I was 25. We might not have it as often as we did back then but when we do its great. I'm so sorry for your losses but you have alot of life left to live. I'm wishing you the very best.

Susan - I know how hard it is to go back in to face the music. I went through something simular and yes my dr wasn't happy with me and gave me a little speech but it kicked me in the butt and really got me going again. (that was last summer, since then I've lost another 25 lbs) You got the band to help you lose this weight so now you need to use it. Get your self in there and get another fill, and if that doesn't work schedule another one for next month. Go buy some good healthy foods (with me I had to throw food out of my house!) then start tracking your calorie intake on FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal and move. I started out just walking 10 minutes the first week. Then I added 5 minutes each week until I was up to 30 minutes. When you eat, remember the rules. No drinking before or after you eat. Take little bites and chew really well. Time your meals. I have a habit of looking at the clock to see how many hours go by before I'm hungry again. Yesterday I was out shopping and doing errands and I ate about 2/3 of a whopper jr, no soda, no french fries and it lasted me 4 hours! I have just recently been able to eat something like that bc I was pb'ing so bad and then I realized my biggest problem was the size of bites I was taking and how much I chewed. I will admit that I still can't do subway, thats just way too much bread and I end up getting sick. I guess I should say I also take alot of the bun off the burger too, bread is a no-no for me. Anyway, I hope this helps. I'm not the biggest loser either, and I'm only losing about a pound a month now BUT I'm eating the foods I want and I'm not gaining so I'm really pretty satisfied with where I am. I'm sorry I'm going on here but I also want to add about the doctor, he won't be happy that you gained but he will understand and he also needs you to lose for his "statistics" - I know at our last support group meeting we all got a lecture on if we don't do good he doesn't do good - good luck!

(((Fatwidow))) first of all you MUST change your name to something more positive.

I totally agree with Steph. Change that name! Think positive! Even though your heart is still healing from your loss, love will come again. My good friend lost her husband to a heart attack in October 2006 (she was 45). She had no interest in even dating, but fate had other plans, and she is now engaged to a great guy whom she met at a charity fundraiser. One door closes and another opens. Think how great it will feel to enter the next phase of your happy life at a healthy weight. You can do it!

Hi I'm Sarah from Ohio and not banded yet. Approved by insurance finally and waiting impatiently on a surgery date. Probably not til April at this rate. I turned 40 last Sept. in Vegas(my first time) so far 40's not that bad. Love to meet any other class of '85ers in the group plus all you other 40 somethings!!

My name is Gilta and I am 43. I am in the middle of the process and hope to be banded by June. I start my nutrition meetings this month with 2 more follow ups.

Well I got a surgery date of 2/20 I'm not even sure I can get the time off work because I'm a nurse and already have a schedule out until the middle of march. I just got a letter in the mail that said when the date was. No phone call saying will this work for you or anything. I want it done so bad on the 20th but am afraid my boss won't take me off. say a little prayer that they will be understanding. I want to get it don e sooo bad!!!

Hi all, I'm Dianne, turned 48 in December. I've had the band for 2yrs and 4 months. I love my band! I started working for a company and I speak to people who are thinking about having the band.

I have gained a bit over the hoplidays but U am so greatful to have a wonderful Dr who has a fantastic support staff. I'm well on my way to my goal.