Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone having problems with constipation?

I know this is gross, but I'm having a terrible time with this. Before surgery I ate fresh fruit three times a day. I ate a LOT of fresh vegetables and salad as well, so I was as regular as Big Ben. Daily, matter of fact. I'm 8 weeks out now, and on regular diet. I have been battling Constipation ever since I had surgery. Sometimes it's bad. I won't take laxatives as I know these are habit forming. My doctor suggested prune juice. Doesn't help..... Usually, my coffee in the morning had me running to the bathroom. Not anymore. It doesn't do a thing. I don't eat fruit nearly as much anymore because of the high sugar content, and once I eat my veggies, I'm full. I drink tons of Water. I thought this would give me the runs. Not the case. What is going on? I'm going every three days now, if I'm lucky, and the irregularity is making me feel terrible. The gas and burping from it is incredible. My husband says I now burp like a sailor. I've NEVER had to strain to go to the bathroom, and now I have to or nothing moves. HELP!!!

Try a stool softener, they are not laxatives and will help a great deal. I've been dealing with IBS for years, and they help me quite a bit. Also, Miralax is not habit forming and is over-the-counter now.

I'm only 6 days post-op, but I've read that every 3 days is normal for the reduced consumption post-band. But, if you're feeling bad, that's a sign you need some help.

I swear by Miralax also. Tasteless, dissoves completely, and no cramps or straining. I have chronic contipation from lots of adhesions and nerve damage from chemo. It may take a few days to "set things in motion"

Carol

I haven't heard of Miralax. Thanks!!! I'll run to Walgreens and see if I can find it. Any other suggestions?

I'm in the same boat.

I actually think I might have a hemorrhoid now. Talk about TMI - lol!

Do you know how much Fiber you're getting? They say we need 25-35 grams per day.

I just started using one of the powders, Fiber-Sure. Fiber-One bars are good too. 140 calories, 9 grams of Fiber.< /span>

Aubrie:

I'm almost 6 months out from band surgery. With the decrease in consumption you can certainly expect alot less "outflow". I have been having some issues with Constipation too. I tried Activia yogurt - helped some, but then I forgot to buy it. I think it would continue to help if eaten every day. Second thing I tried is that I eat two prunes every day. Even with this I only go twice a week now, but I'm not very uncomfortable with it.

Hope you feel better soon.

Sue

Hey - I have BIG problems with Constipation. I eat lots of fruit, take a lot of metamucil capsules (like 8 a day) and I still have constipation. In fact, to be honest (this is gross but true), it caused a fissure and now I am having a lateral sphincterotomy in a couple of weeks time so the fissure will heal. Going to the toilet has been painful for me since the operation.

I actually don't know what to do to fix this issue, I guess drink lots and lots of Water. laxatives usually stop working after a while, you need more for it to work. :eek:

My Dr. and my mother both told me to use "Milk of Magnesia".

I am 1 week post-op and the 2 days after I had "the problem".

I took 2 doses and have not had a problem since then.

I had the same problem. I am 3 1/2 weeks post op.. The nutritioist has me on chewable childrens Vitamins plus Iron. They are killing me. So I stopped them since I am probably eating a much better diet since surgery than I did before. I am eating veggies with evey meal. I took Milk of Magnesia and what a difference.. Just a small dose. One TBS.. and it worked. My stomach felt so much better. I go now 2x a day at least and its great.. Miralax is also a great thing. It used to be prescription but it is now available over the counter.

Hello, oh my goodness we are related I think, it is weird i had my surgery on 11/20/07, starting weight 239 and now 216, 23# lost now. yeah I guess, I think I should be loosing more, I am at a huge stand still. I know just what you are saying about the Constipation, I had the same problem and still do, straining is my middle name right now. My biggest problem though now is the weight is not coming off like it should, I know it is because I can eat normal now, I had my first fill on 1/4/08 2cc and I absolutely do not feel like I have any restriction. have you had your fill yet?

Hello - I was banded one month ago on 12/11/07 and before surgery I was also regular - at least once a day. Post op, I am lucky if it's twice a week. I have been taking fiber supplements for a week and started with the stool softeners today. Hopefully that will provide some relief. Thanks for the tips!

I do MOM once a week. For some reason, (TMI) it feels like I'm "stuck" down there - once I do the MOM, within 3-4 hours I'm going and I'm able to go for a few days without any problems.

I drink lots of Water, so I have no idea why this happens.

I know I sound nieve, but what does MOM stand for? I had my surgery on 12-17-07 and have been constipated ever since. I have been using stool softeners, but that is not have the effect I need. I am at a stand still at losing weight, and I think it is because I am so plugged up!!