Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

9 more days to go !! I'm getting a little nervous. Been on my pre-op diet since this past Monday, I've lost 8 lbs. My diet is great, I can eat 3 meals a day, I was so afraid I was going to be on the liquid diet like some of you posted.

Hey all - Happy Saturday. I had my surgury on Thursday the 24th and yesterday at home felt a bit shaky. Today actually feel human. Got to take a shower this morning too.. that definitely helped.:lol:

One thing that I would warn the 50+ folks on. The day before my surgury all of a sudden the doctor decided I needed a recent stress test. So I was calling all over to find a place to get that done that day otherwise I would have been delayed. So be sure and ask your doctor if you need one.

My tummy has little bruises at all of the incensions. My husband says it looks like I was shot with a machine gun.:tt2:. Only the port one hurts though.

Take care all. Good luck to all those on this journey or about to begin. Still feels like the best decison I have made for myself in a while.

Katarina

:tt2::confused_smile:I'm also over 50 and my Band date is Aug. 1st 2008 I read something about BP what is BP? It has something to do with eating or it coming back up I think... Someone fill me in please..

You have it backwards. It's pb stands for productive burp. Sometimes it's easy. You burp and food comes up with it. Sometimes it can be all out

puking when food is stuck and won't go through the band.

Good luck to everyone! We have a lot of new bandsters here. I hope all of you have a very easy recovery and welcome to bandland!

I remember writing to Nancy a little while back when she was so despondent over the scale not moving.....well, look at her now!! I am so proud of you and all of the success you are having....GO GIRL!

Isn't good health grand?

judy

Happy Saturday!! It's a nice hot sunny day here. It's like our 15th or 16th day in a row in the 90's. If we make 18 it's a record they said and the 5 day shows nothing but 90's.

I guess I've accepted the fact that I am going to have gall bladder surgery now. At first I was in denial sortta, I just don't want to face another surgery, but sure would rather take care of it now while it's fairly minor than have big stones, an attack, infection or worse later. So will schedule that when I see the surgeon on Wed. Sure is a lot less hoops to go through this time around. Heck he has every test on file still from my banding only 7 weeks ago and if anything I should be healthier now, except for the gall bladder.

I also got off BP meds since my surgery, actually at one week out I was off of them. I take nothing now except for my Vitamins and supplements. I need something for my knees once in while. I've been taking childrens liquid Ibuprofen. I know it says no NSAIDs but am thinking that's okay since it won't sit in the pouch, but I wll ask and find out on Wed. Knees have been extra bad the past few days.

Everyone here is so supportive and positive! Thank you all! Long: good luck with your gall bladder surgery. It sounds like you have a great doctor, so I'm sure you will do well. You will be in my prayers.

Nancy

Long, your gallbladder surgery will go just fine. Its pretty much just like lap band surgery. It was a breeze for me. Good luck to all the new bandsters. It does seem a little scary before you do it but believe me, its not that bad at all and it does help you feel not hungry. My band was put on June 18th and I have done very well with it. Well just wanted to check in with everyone to see how you are doing. I lost 1.8 this week (from Wednesday to Wednesday) so I was happy about that. For me, the scale is still moving downward and I have not had a fill yet. Dr. says in August so we will see since I am still loosing so well. talk with you all later.

Beckyo:rolleyes2:

Hello.. I am 53 and thinking about the band. I am worried about 2 things. One.. getting stuck... and two, still being hungry... can anyone give me some advice? How often do you "get stuck"? and do you still want food? I am confused...

Nina, I'm not going to lie and say you never get hungry. But I get hungry a lot less than I used to and I eat a lot less to satisfy that hunger. I believe there are 2 types of hunger and the band deals with the physical hunger. I find that I also have what you see referred on this site a lot as 'head hunger'. I see it, I want it, or I think I want something, but I'm not really physically hungry. Or I eat my 4oz portion, really am satisfied but gosh it was so good that my head tells me I want more. That's when I get stuck is if I listen to the head and not the physical, or I eat too much or too big of bites. I've not had real issues with getting stuck, more of very uncomfortable. Also, the first 6 weeks after your surgery are referred to around here as 'bandster hell'. You are on a liquid diet for several days, then soft/mushy foods. You don't get solids, depending on your dr's orders til on average 3 weeks or more. By this time you are healing, the swelling has gone down and you experience hunger because you have either no or very little restriction in your band. Once you start getting fills that is much better, but it might take a fill or two to get there. I am only 7 weeks post op and so far I can say this is the best thing I've ever done for myself. Good luck in your decision.

What is NSAIDS?? trying to remember all of these abbriviations...lol

I think it's 'non steroid anti inflammatory drugs'. Motrin, Aleve, and I believe but not sure aspirin fall into this category. Tylenol does not.

I think it's 'non steroid anti inflammatory drugs'. Motrin, Aleve, and I believe but not sure aspirin fall into this category. Tylenol does not.

Aspirin is one, too. It isn't just about upsetting the stomach, NSAIDS coat the platelets in your blood stream so you don't clot as quickly and bleed more. If you have surgery coming up, switch to Tylenol or ask your doctor for a week's worth of Celebrex or something else safe. Interestingly enough, Celebrex is also an NSAID, but it lacks the factor that causes the problem. I'm on it this week for my arthritis in preparation for my surgery Wednesday.

--Orea

Edited by orea15
correcting spelling!

Aspirin is one, too. It isn't just about upsetting the stomach, NSAIDS coat the platelets in your blood stream so you don't clot as quickly and bleed more. If you have surgery coming up, switch to Tylenol or ask your doctor for a week's worth of Celebrex or something else safe. Interestingly enough, Celebrex is also an NSAID, but it lacks the factor that causes the problem. I'm on it this week for my arthritis in preparation for my surgery Wednesday.

--Orea

They also said that not to take NSAIDs after my surgery because they could sit in my pouch and cause ulcers or something and it was much more dangerous due to the pouch??? I plan to ask more about that now that my knees are acting up so bad.

thank you both for explaining that to me. i was told you stop the celebrex 1 week before surgery.

I switched to tylenol last week after pre-op meeting. i normally took nuprin for pain. hopefully no more bp meds or celebrex.