Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

12 Steps of Overeaters Anonymous

Hi Louise,

I Would Love To Put Together A food Plan And Hold Each Other Accountable. I Have Been Attending Oa Meetings Here In North Carolina. I Agree Getting Rid Of The Flour And Sugar Are Targets That Must Be Hit. I Have Some Ideas. Tell Me Yours!! Looking Forward To A Great Journey!!!! Sheila

I went to OA for 30 years and got banded April 2007. I went to a few OA functions since then but have gotten negative feedback from those in OA like I was trying the 'easier, softer way' and 'now I'm cheating the program'. I decided that although OA has been a way of life for me with regards to the steps, there's been too much hurt around me having lapband. I miss OA but not at the risk of being judged. Now I'm trying to build support systems with other lapbanders.

I have never been a member of OA or heard of this FAA diet. I have come to realize that I am addicted to food. I have strong cravings & binge eat. At this point my band has cut down on the amount that I can eat. I have not been very successful because of my diet. When it comes to food, i am out of control. Can someone explain this program & diet, please

I went to OA for 30 years and got banded April 2007. I went to a few OA functions since then but have gotten negative feedback from those in OA like I was trying the 'easier, softer way' and 'now I'm cheating the program'. I decided that although OA has been a way of life for me with regards to the steps, there's been too much hurt around me having lapband. I miss OA but not at the risk of being judged. Now I'm trying to build support systems with other lapbanders.

Unfortunately, as in society as a whole... when people come together in a group for a common purpose there's a tendency to judge others who are not "towing the line" in exactly the same way they are doing. It's a sad commentary on the human condition. One minute you're their buddy, but as soon as you step outside the bounds you're the enemy.

I've known many people who have been successful with 12-step programs for alcohol, but also a few who simply replaced their alcohol addiction with a 12-step addiction. They dealt with the alcohol part of the equation, but not the underlying causes of the addiction. In essence, they became dry-drunks. Knowing what is right for you and not right for you in the addiction community is a very difficult thing. Personally, I much prefer Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, which concentrates on our thinking process so as to replace our disfunctional, convoluted thoughts into productive healthy ones.

A 12-step alcoholic has to stay away from alcohol for life (as per the program), but a 12-step food addict is faced with the even more difficult reality that a person can't just give up food altogether. We have to learn to live with it. Imagine telling your local AA group that their members will just have to learn to live with drinking alcohol in moderation and see how long it takes them to show you the door.

I applaud any method that works for someone. I just, personally, find the 12-step one very difficult for food addicts.

Hi Miss Jeannie,

I understand what you're saying and kind of feel sorry for the people at OA that you feel judged by. After all, that's why they went there to begin with. In any event, I think the spirit of OA is awesome. I combine the steps with the band for great success. Alos, there are people that gain weight with the band. It is only a tool. You hold the fork!! But welcome and anything that I can do to help, I'm here!!! Have an awesome day!! Sheila

Hey Wella,

My deepest appologies. I got burried with my job and had hardly no time to even sign online. About the food plan, YES< Let's do it!! My abstinance is also sugar and white flour and I have added fried foods to that. I have already decafinated myself so thats one issue that is behind me now!! How are you doing with your abstinance??

hi shiela great to hear from you i am trying to get clean from sugar wheat and flour but only manage to get a few days under my belt will write again tonight when i get home its great to link up with you bye for now wella 123

Hello Wella,

One of the things that I learned through OA is to stop fighting against cravins, that gives the craving the power that it wants. Instaed reach for a tool. An OA speaker tape,( if you don'e have any let me know, you can get them free on the internet and download them right onto your computer), or read literature, ( I like the Big Book), and of course always pray for strength to get through the next 10 minutes. I look forward to our journey and glad we were able to to have such a forum!!! Sheila

I would be interested in what you are planning for the food journey. I was banded in July 2007 and am only down 35 lbs. I am a food addict. I do well for awhile but once I start with sugar its hard to stop. I am going to look up the books and sites you guys talked about. I'll watch this posting and participate if you get something started. I'm glad I found this thread.

Tammy :thumbdown:

Hi Tammy,

Think of sugar as poison first of all.. I know, soooo hard to do, but to us addicts, IT IS!!! Anyway, I am not a Doctor but I'm guessing that if your weight loss is slow, you may need an adjustment. I am not a doctor but until I was losing 1- 2 pounds per week my doctor continued to give me small fills. Having said that, my best advice to all of us addicts is to look at as I have learned to look at it. I have a disease and that disease, like any other, wants to kill me. I am therefore fighting for my life. I learned to appreciate the addiction though. It kept me from the addictions of drugs and alchohol, which not only destroy your health, life and finances but also your families and friends lose trust in you. I take it very seriously and it is SOO HARD, but everyday I fight and each day it gets just a little bit easier. If you are serious about OA there are online OA meetings every 3 hours around the clock. You can register for them at oa.org. Welcome to our little thread and I hope to hear from you! If there is anything that I can do to help or any questions that I might be able to help with please ask. Have a wonderful night!!! Sheila

Unfortunately, as in society as a whole... when people come together in a group for a common purpose there's a tendency to judge others who are not "towing the line" in exactly the same way they are doing. It's a sad commentary on the human condition. One minute you're their buddy, but as soon as you step outside the bounds you're the enemy.

I've known many people who have been successful with 12-step programs for alcohol, but also a few who simply replaced their alcohol addiction with a 12-step addiction. They dealt with the alcohol part of the equation, but not the underlying causes of the addiction. In essence, they became dry-drunks. Knowing what is right for you and not right for you in the addiction community is a very difficult thing. Personally, I much prefer Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, which concentrates on our thinking process so as to replace our disfunctional, convoluted thoughts into productive healthy ones.

A 12-step alcoholic has to stay away from alcohol for life (as per the program), but a 12-step food addict is faced with the even more difficult reality that a person can't just give up food altogether. We have to learn to live with it. Imagine telling your local AA group that their members will just have to learn to live with drinking alcohol in moderation and see how long it takes them to show you the door.

I applaud any method that works for someone. I just, personally, find the 12-step one very difficult for food addicts.

Found your post interesting. But are there any programs (like OA) that offer Cognitive Behavioral Therapy? I don't know much about CBT. Thanks, robingr

sheila, you are so right I am a food addict!!! I would love to join those OA discussion and more than anything I sooo totally could use one right now. I had surgery six weeks ago and dont want to go see my doc because of course I ddint follow his direction and I can eat anything just not the same amount I ate before surgery. I eat bread, Pasta, tortillas...I have been awful! thanks for the info.

Hey Destined,

I TOTALLY relate to what you are going through. I went through the same thing after surgery. GREAT NEWS though. It's ok to still be eating those foods. You need an adjustment and when you get it you won't be able to eat those things. The starchy carbs will feel like cement in your chest and I am sooo happy to say that eating that stuff that once meant comfort to me, now means pain. I substituted emotional eating for emotional exercising. Remember, the band is only a tool. But a POWERFUL one. I'll be happy to talk with you about this if you'de like. But get an adjustment. I had to get 3 before mine worked. Talk about feeling like a failure!!! If your Doctor is anything like mine (awesome) he will be sympathetic with you. Keep me posted and of course anything that I can do to help, I'm here for ya!! Keep it positive and remember your screen name!!! Sheila

Hey Rob,

Great post and I agree to a degree. I used that analogy for a long time. My ex was in AA and I know the good that it can bring when done properly. I'm also a physcology buff and have a tough time deciding what is the best method. Yes, AA's must refrain from any alchohol consumption and we can't just stop eating. However, we can put down the white processed flour and sugar. Those 2 things for me were triggers that just fired off cravings that would make a herion addict blush!! I guess the bottom line is that different things work for different people. As said, whether we think we can or think we can't, Either way we are right!! Also your point about replacing one addiction with another!! SO TRUE! So what's a person to do.. Take away an addiction and you have a vaccuum. My choice, replace it with a healthy habbit. My choice, walking. It's easy, its free, and safe!! Great thought provoking post! Keep em coming!!! Sheila

Just found this thread. Was banded a year ago and have been at goal for the past 4 months. I was lucky enough to only had to have 2 fills to find my sweet spot and lose 80 lbs. I have been a member of OA for 13 years and saw how some of my weight lose bothers and sisters were treated. I've only told my sponsor and the members of my Man's Group meeting. In OA abstinence is defined as not eating compulsively and staying clear of my individual binge foods. I just also took my one year coin. My anniversary date is the same date I started my liquid diet. My food plan is different from everyone else’s. I also see a nutritionist and a therapist. I told myself if I’m going through this I’m going to get all the support I can muster and so far it’s working. My band is another tool in my arsenal to fight my disease of compulsive overeating. I'm glad I've found you guys here. Keep coming back it works if you work it!