Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any problems taking Medications??

I was just wondering if anyone had any issues taking pills. I think that in one of my pre-op classes it was discussed that most people could take a pill about the size of a pencil eraser. I take Migraine medicine and it scares me a bit that I won't be able to take it after surgery. My doctor has given me some others that dissolve on the tongue, but they don't work as well. I also take LOTS of tylenol for headaches. Do they make a liquid tylenol??

When is your surgery date?

I take a TON of pills

I also get Migraines the dissolveable pills does not work for me either

I can take most pills without a problem. I have to take them with yogert or some kind of food in my stomack.

I take midrin, zoloft, mevacor, tylenol , vitimans (horse pills)

and a few more pills I am a walking pharmacey

You should be fine I did not swollow pills untill 1.5 week post op to make sure I was healed ok

Thanks for your reply OreoKitty, that gives me hope. My surgery date is January 7. I get full blown Migraines one week a month (I'll let you guess when). I take Relpax which is actually a relatively small pill. I was more worried about the tylenol though cuz I take it all the time. I get lots of headaches.

I used to have headaches daily (I do have one right now)

BUt my doc sent me to a chiroprator and he has actually helped reduce them.

I used to live on MOtrin But with the band I had to switch to tylenal it seems to be ok

Good luck

I've actually never been to the chiropractor, I should probably try that. My job recently changed and I sit at a desk for most of the day. I've got new pains that I didn't have before.

For the lapband it is a blessing for me that I'm allergic to aspirin and all NSAIDs. It will probably be a curse for me arthritis wise later on in life though.

Well, as usual I'm a tad different.

I can't take pills. Let me explain. I am restricted, well restricted. Sometimes...that's sometimes... everything I eat or drink comes up. When I'm sick w/ flu or pneumonia...my pipes are cut off. When things are going good...everything's fine.

So, I cut up my pills. A pill splitter can be your best friend. I was backed up and took Correctol. Next AM it didn't work. I drank alot of juice really fast and out came the pills. The pink came off but the pills didn't go down.

I cut them into 4s... 8 tiny pieces....let's just say I feel alot better now! :eek:

oh, if you have chronic Migraines and want a cure...yes, a real cure...plus the side effect is weight loss...ask to try topirimate aka topamax.

Yes, yes, yes I have trouble taking pills! I must take them one at a time or they get stuck. I used to be able to shovel a handful into my mouth, take a swig of coffee and be on my way. No longer. I have a sore throat and ear thing going on, so I took two acetaminophen caplets this morning. Big mistake! They're not going down and they're not coming back up. Stuck!

Banding is a learning experience, man.

Darr

Thanks for the reply Grace, I've actually looked into Topomax. The problem is my doctor doesn't think that the side effects outweigh the benefits for my Migraines. I did a headache diary for about 6 months and I avg about 3 migraines per month. From what I've read there can be some pretty nasty side effects from it. Though the weight loss does sound pretty good!!!

Wal-Mart brand acetaminophen "caplets" with a red and light blue casing. I am soooooo stuck right now. And I do not relish trying to make the things come back up when they wouldn't earlier. I guess I'll wait (and wait) until they dissolve a little from south-traveling saliva and then do my happy dancing for the day.

Darr

i've tried topamax and a variety of other pills for my Migraines, and i have little luck.

i split my pills with a pill splitter as previously mentioned. i am not well restricted, but i do not want to take a chance. you must make sure that your pills can be split, however, before you do it. i tend to take my skelaxin and cut it into eighths, and then i can take it.

recently, my neuro called me in stadol, which is a nasal spray. it works, but it makes you high...so...it is a last resort, as i can't work or drive when taking it, but i can take it when in liquid phases, so whew-hew.

I actually have been doing a little research and it seems that Tylenol does make a liquid for adults. Its called rapid blast or something like that, says that 1/2 oz is equal to basically 1 extra strength tylenol. Thanks for all the other info. I can't wait to be a member of band land!!! I'm so excited now that I have a date scheduled. My only hurtle right now is having to get blood work done on Christmas Eve while I'm out of town.

Whats a rebound Migraine? ? My Migraines are purely hormonal. In fact for a little while I did hormone replacement therapy and it made them completely go away. I stopped the HRT though due to my mother having breast cancer, specifically an estrogen fed tumor. Low estrogen is what causes my migraines but I'd rather have a migraine than a tumor, and I'm not so sure that the type of HRT that I was doing has been around long enough for the long term effects to be fully realized. Most the time I just have headaches, thats why I take the tylenol. I would say I probably take tylenol 3-4 times a week.