Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap band erosion

Well I for one am EXTREMELY happy with my band. I'm down 108lbs in six months and have had ZERO problems much like the rest of my fellow bandsters that were banded with Cincinnati Weight Loss Center.

how did you manage to maintain your weight loss before you got the sleeve revision?

Bumpity Bump

Hello! I am very glad that I found this thread. Back in 2004, I had an EGD done because I was experiencing very painful and frequent heartburn. The results from that EGD showed that I had something called Barrett's Esophagus. My esophagus had been damaged from all of the reflux and that the cells in my esophagus needed to be watched for any changes (ie. cancer). I was put on Nexium and would need another EGD done in 2-3 years. I had another EGD done in 2007 and all was fine.

Now comes the strange part... I was banded w/ a hiatal hernia repair on 6/8/09. At my 4 week follow up/1st fill, everything looked great and I was told that I could stop taking my stomach meds. I have felt absolutely great since my surgery... no reflux, no bloating, no pain, no excess gas. I stopped taking the stomach meds. On 2/1/10, I went for my follow up EGD. The test showed that I have lesions/erosions in my esophagus, stomach, and small intestines. I also have a large ulcer in my stomach. The doctor could not believe that I was not in pain or greatly troubled by reflux. She put me on a heavy-duty strength acid blocking meds for the next 12 weeks and I have to have another EGD the end of April.

I was completely in shock when the dr told me what she had found during my EGD. I just pray that all of this nonsense has nothing to do w/ my band! :scared2:

I had strictures in my stomach and had an endoscopic dilation in Sept 2009. Ever since that procedure I have felt no restriction. My surgeon has been putting Fluid in for months now. Finally at this last visit he said he would remove the fluid to see how much was really in there. He withdrew 4cc and it was discolored fluid. He has now scheduled me for an EGD. Could that endoscopic dilation have busted the balloon on my lapband? I think they're looking for erosion of the band into the stomach.

Hi All,

I just joined the forum today because I went to the doctor yesterday and the PA told me I have band erosion. They recommend unfilling the band and going on a liquid diet for 4 weeks to see if that helps calm things down. They do not recommend an endoscopy. Does this make sense to anyone who's been through this? I, too, am devastated. I have had the band for almost 4 years and have lost about 70 pounds. I do NOT want to gain it back and I'm afraid that will happen....

I was banded 2 years ago and was doing great, lost 70 lbs. In December, I thought I had an ulcer (had 4 previously) but after endoscopy, found out the band eroded my stomach and had to have it removed. Now, 5 months later, I'm thinking of having the gastric bypass but worried if this is safe for me.

Sorry to hear about your band erosion...I never had stomach trouble, acid reflux or any of that stuff until I got banded...now it's unbearable. I hope they're able to repair your band successfully. I've gained all my weight back.

I am in the same boat. I found out this morning that insurance is not paying to remove the band. I used all my inheritance to have the band put in. I am angry and sick about the whole thing. I have already gained back 45 pounds of the 90 I lost. It's taken a year for my doctor to finally run tests to see that the band eroded. I wish I could do something about this whole situation.

Hi!My 1st time on this site. My LAP-BAND® was place over 2 years ago, I lost 70lbs, then a year ago, I started gaining weight again. Ive gained back 25lbs! found out my band has been eroding for 1 year now. I had it done in Mexico, but I cant afford the cost for removal, and Im not insured, so I do not know what to do to get this out! Any suggestions or links for more info? Thanks!!

Same problem with me. I'll be reading to see if there are any supportive replies. Just know you are not alone. I've gained 45 of the 90 pounds I lost.

Good point.

Dr. Blackstone is a gastric band surgeon.

She would also know some great plastic surgeons in the area.

Sorry for any confusion.

My surgeon is Dr Robin Blackstone and is wonderful - her staff is excellent, very responsive and handle issues in a timely manner.

They have referred me to a very respectable plastic surgeon who works with bariatric patients and does a great job.

Good Luck

How do I contact Wasabubblebutt - I need info on the sleeve and band revision

hptransport@yahoo.com

I had strictures in my stomach and had an endoscopic dilation in Sept 2009. Ever since that procedure I have felt no restriction. My surgeon has been putting Fluid in for months now. Finally at this last visit he said he would remove the fluid to see how much was really in there. He withdrew 4cc and it was discolored fluid. He has now scheduled me for an EGD. Could that endoscopic dilation have busted the balloon on my lapband? I think they're looking for erosion of the band into the stomach.

I was wondering if they ever figured out what the discolored fluid was. I have the same problem and they thought it was band erosion so I had an endoscopy and everything showed that there is no erosion. I went back yesterday (3 weeks later) and the fluid was brown again and out of the 3cc's he put in 3 weeks ago, only about 1cc came out and it was brown. I am having my band removed next week.

Hi, I am currently sitting in my hospital bed. Just found out I have an erosion. We thought it was my gall bladder. I was banded 2007. Weighed 397 pounds, I am at my goal. I am freaking out. I did not have the normal "erosion" symptoms. I did not gain weight...we actually thought it was my gallbladder Did the hida scan, did a u/s nothing but negative results. Only time I hurt was after I ate. Lapband surgeon, requested a endo...saw slight erosion. Now this is his first ever erosion. He has been doing this since 2002. He is thinking of converting me to a sleeve as I do not want to regain. I have been a massive successful band person. I have 11 kids and just want to remain healthy.

Was wondering if pressing the matter of the sleeve was a huge issue during the removal. Was wondering do I really need a weight loss tool. I had an erosion and did not gain. I have I think the 16 cc band and only had 3 cc's in it.

Does one really need to wait after an erosion before proceeding with the sleeve or another banding in the same operation?

How awesome that you are at goal when this happened. I had a slip 2 years after mine was in and was told I would never be able to get another band but he suggested a bypass (I don't think the sleeve was around then) but it would have to another procedure after the removal. I did manage to get insurance to pay for it after an upward climb because of the other complex issues caused by the erosion. I chose not the go back for anything else and have gained some of the weight back due to other medical issues but believe it is manageable. My doctor is the pioneer of the LapBand in the Middle TN area and I was only his 5th. I do strongly urge you to go to somebody that has even a little more experience that that. It has been been determined that in the removal my vegus nerve was damaged resulting in more complicated problems. This kind of nerve damaged is not really mentioned (or wasn't at the time I did mine) as a side effect but could happen in any type of surgery especially abdominal. I'm not sorry I had the band and would do it again if I could, but I can't so I'm on my own which is okay too. Prayers to you and others that have been confronted with this issue. And CONGRATULATIONS again for being and maintaining your goal!