Hello! Welcome to the Largest Bariatric Surgery Community Online!

Welcome to BariatricPal.com, the largest weight loss surgery social network in the world! Our goal is to provide a unique platform for patients and potential patients alike that enables you to make informed choices involving your surgery decisions as well as providing you the support you need to meet your goals. Sign up now to access exclusive member features!

Join our community. It's free!

Lap band erosion

Views
Started by sjtkatz3, Dec 10, 2007 9:42 AM
223 replies to this topic
223 replies to this topic

sjtkatz3

• Surgery: LAP-BAND
Posted December 10, 2007 - 9:42 AM

I just found out on Saturday that my band has eroded and must be removed. I am totally devistated. I have had the band for 2 years and have lost 85 lbs. I am terrified of regaining the weight. I am trying to do some research. I really do not understand what has happened. The doctor took all of the restriction out, but I do not understand why I am told that it will not heal itself. Any thoughts?

juliegeraci

Bariatric Legend

• My Blogs
Posted December 10, 2007 - 11:26 AM

If I am correct, a slip can be mended by an unfill. Erosion is completely different. Do you know if he can give you a new band? I think sometimes they have to wait to have the stomach return to normal.

sjtkatz3

Posted December 10, 2007 - 3:54 PM

Dr. wants to remove it and wait 6 months for erosion to heal. I have another concern, I do not have the money to have band removed. It took me three years to save up the money for the band. Now I am faced with having it removed and them having another one installed. The money issue might be the reason why it hit me so hard.

juliegeraci

Bariatric Legend

• My Blogs
Posted December 10, 2007 - 4:31 PM

I am so sorry to hear that! Truthfully that scared me too. My insurance covered the band but I don't know about removal. Good luck to you.

dsgarza

Posted December 10, 2007 - 5:51 PM

Whatis erosin? I had a band put in 2-27-06 and am doing well. I forgot what they said about erosin.

Diana

juliegeraci

Bariatric Legend

• My Blogs
Posted December 10, 2007 - 6:26 PM

Diane, I believe errosion is when the stomach grows around the band and into the stomach. The band can actually errode into the stomach. I believe that is what it is. It does require surgery to fix and typically they can't put in a new band until it heals. Hope this helps.

Oregondaisy

BariatricPal Host

• Surgery: Gastric Sleeve
  • Surgeon: Alberto Aceves
  • Surgery Date: Apr 2009
  • Height: 5 feet 2 inches
  • Starting Weight: 237
  • Weight Lost: 102
  • Current Weight: 135
  • Goal Weight: 135
  • BMI: 24.7
  • My Blogs
Posted December 10, 2007 - 8:57 PM

Did you have any symptoms? A lot of us are afraid of this and wonder how we know whether to go for tests to make sure everything is okay.

Did you have a lot of heartburn or anything that made you decide
to have a test done where the erosion was discovered?

I am just like you- I would be so afraid if I had to have mine removed that I would gain all my weight back. I haven't even gotten rid of all my boxes and boxes of clothes that are too big
because I am so afraid someday the band will be taken away from me.

sjtkatz3

Posted December 11, 2007 - 8:00 AM

I have had no symptoms. I went in for a fill, dr. used this machine (fluro somethingoranother) to watch the fluid go down. He stopped took all of the fluid out and said that I had an erosion. Must be removed and in 6 months can be reinstalled. But at what cost? I have never had any symptoms other than after the last fill, I never felt tight. Dr. said that it was probably eroded then (Aug 07), but he couldn't tell from the pictures. This is just something I am going to have to deal with. I have lost 85 lbs and I do not want to go back. I would like to lose another 25, but that will probably not happen soon. If I have the band removed in Jan-Feb, It can probably be put back on in Aug-Sep timeframe. Dr. said that because he thinks that it has not been working for a while, I might not need to have it re-installed. It is my crutch. I feel safe with it. I will probably be rebanded.

SalesGirl711

Bariatric Legend

• Surgery Date: Apr 2007
  • Height: 6 feet 0 inches
  • Starting Weight: 333 lbs
  • Weight Lost: 85 lbs
  • Current Weight: 248 lbs
  • Goal Weight: 180 lbs
  • BMI: 33.6
  • My Blogs
Posted December 11, 2007 - 4:31 PM

I'm sorry you're going through that.
I was 100% self-pay and it was 15k (+2.5k for the port revision surgery).. I don't have an emergency plan if I ever had to take it out, and if I did take it out, I would want something else (that insurance wouldn't pay for). Let me know how you figure it all out, so I'll have a back up plan in case something ever happens.
Good luck!!!!!

Betsyjane

Bariatric Master

Posted December 11, 2007 - 5:33 PM

Sometimes insurance will pay for it to be taken out because it is emergency surgery. You might check.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates