Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm almost 13 weeks post op and finally home after being on the road off and on for 10 days. I traveled from NY to Florida, around the state and then back to NY. My eating has been horrible. I've been trying to make the best choices I can but I've been eating out almost daily between the traveling and meeting up with people. While I feel find physically emotionally I'm a mess, I'm my own worst enemy and I've been so hard on myself. I did manage to still lose 2 pounds which is about my average but I feel so guilty for eating poorly. I know I have to make the best choices as my sleeve is a tool and this was not a normal situation for me to be in. Of course I come back to work and they are providing food today and it's pizza :unsure:

Don't beat yourself up!! That's an old pattern that needs to stop. It's not good for you or for your journey. :D It's OK to make some bad choices, realize it and try to find a way to avoid it next time. It's totally OK.

I have found that if I eat crappy food I feel crappy. That's probably part of how you are feeling. We now need so much Protein it's ridiculous! lol! Traveling and maintaining a good diet is SOOO hard. The choices aren't good, we are on the run and don't have time to source out the best things. So now that you've traveled and experienced how hard it is have you come up with any ideas? Packing Protein Drinks maybe?

Regarding food choices I find a lot of places will have grilled chicken. I know it's not exciting but it's so good for us and will be filling and is something that can be found at a lot of places. I'll just order the grilled chicken sandwich and then eat just the chicken breast.

When I met with my surgeon this last time he asked how I was doing. I said "I'm doing pretty well. I find the protocols to be simple to follow. I don't find it easy but it is simple." And that's what we have to remember. That while it may be simple, it's not always EASY. It's oK to fall, it gives us the opportunity to get back up, learn where we tripped and try to avoid it. It's OK to have made choices you aren't happy with, this is how we learn and grow. Don't be upset with yourself, give yourself a hug and realize just how hard that trip was and how well you did to lose weight.

Shaming yourself for making those choices is not going to help you at all. You did what you did, it is in the past, the bonus is you lost 2 pounds while doing it! Take that as the freebie was, as I am sure it will not happen again. If you are in a job that requires frequent travel, then you will have to just plan ahead and better next time.

BTW, just because they are giving out free pizza does not mean you have to eat it. There is nothing free about how you feel if you eat it.

We're on a journey and you learned something out of that experience. That's what matters!

Knowing what you know now, figure out some strategies for next time you're on the road. Bring Protein Powder for shakes? Stop in at a store and get some healthy options to keep in the hotel fridge? Eat before you go out, to prevent temptation?

It's a new day :)

Thanks everyone. Thankfully the travel is a once a year thing and the rest of the year I work from my home site. I did bring Protein drinks and bars so I tried to use those for meals as much as I could. I mostly stuck to chicken when we went out, had a burger without the bun one night as well. I just dislike not having that control over my meals. It's nice to have someplace to come to for encouragement from people in my shoes. Some of the people I traveled with know, some don't but none of them have first hand experience.

I'm back to my yogurt, protein drinks, lean protein and cheese for my meals. I did avoid the pizza and opted for some tuna instead :)

You've got this! It's all about learning how to navigate this new world. My family and I went on a trip to Hawaii in Feb, like 4 months post op. I packed P3 in a lunch box so that I would be good on the 9.5 hour flight.

I love P3, it's my go to for lunch. And they have so many different options now. I actually found some with dried fruit in it at Target the other day.