Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight training nutrition

I've been lifting 4 times a week for a month now and have made good progress, but I'm hungry often despite getting 1200 calories a day or more.

Any ideas on the best foods to control hunger while maintaining decent nutrition for a lifting routine?

Are any supplements, such as an amino acid complex, worth while? I'm generally distrustful of supplements and don't go info for more than basic Vitamins.< /p>

Adding supplements in isn't a bad thing, but those are going to help in building muscle mass, not curbing your appetite. It gets to be a science of managing a diet with lifting. You have to know your own body, but you may want to just bump up your calories on the days you lift.

There is definitely a science to lifting/diet/sleeve. Wish I could say I have it figured out, but it is always being tweaked. You say you are lifting, what are you doing specifically? 1200 calories of what? When are you eating?

If your surgery date is correct, you are only about 6 months post-op. Right now (only in my opinion) I would be focusing on losing the weight and trying to keep what muscle you have. You just cannot take in enough protein/calories to start building a lot of mass. Establishing the routine and habit is the most important thing.

I used to lift everyday, but once I started getting into heavier weights, I needed more recovery time. So now I am down to 3 times a week. The other days I just try to get my steps in to maintain my weight.

This is a great topic...not sure how to respond though. I lift three days a week, and usually what I do is have a Protein Shake right after to help curb my hungry. However, I am a woman and may not be burning as much as you. However, I do feel the Protein right after the workout has really helped me curb my appetite.

Edited by Delta_35

19 minutes ago, Delta_35 said:

This is a great topic...not sure how to respond though. I lift three days a week, and usually what I do is have a Protein shake right after to help curb my hungry. However, I am a woman and may not be burning as much as you. However, I do feel the Protein right after the workout has really helped me curb my appetite.

It does for me as well. In the old days I wanted to eat everything as soon as I got home, but now having that shake on the way home helps out tremendously.

There is definitely a science to lifting/diet/sleeve. Wish I could say I have it figured out, but it is always being tweaked. You say you are lifting, what are you doing specifically? 1200 calories of what? When are you eating? If your surgery date is correct, you are only about 6 months post-op. Right now (only in my opinion) I would be focusing on losing the weight and trying to keep what muscle you have. You just cannot take in enough protein/calories to start building a lot of mass. Establishing the routine and habit is the most important thing.

I used to lift everyday, but once I started getting into heavier weights, I needed more recovery time. So now I am down to 3 times a week. The other days I just try to get my steps in to maintain my weight.

I'm getting about 110-120 grams of  Protein daily, and I've been eating 5 times a day, occasionally six. That's  Breakfast,  lunch,  dinner, and afternoon  Protein Bar around 3 and another Protein Bar around 8:30 or 9 in the evening. Sometimes I have some nuts mid-morning or in the evening. Most of my calories come from protein-dense foods: turkey breast,  Protein Bars, Protein   drinks. I don't eat many straight carbs and keep fat pretty low.

I'm at 162 right now, so I feel good about my loss so far, but I lost A LOT of muscle mass. My outdoor hobbies - hiking and kayaking - had gotten very difficult. That's what drove me back to the gym. I don't care so much about mass as functional strength, though a little more definition is a nice bonus.

I used to lift for a few months at a time before losing interest, so I'm not a complete beginner, but given my loss of strength, it feels like square one.

I had a trainer design a simple routine for me. 1 day a week each of chest/triceps, back/biceps, shoulders, and legs plus abdominal every other day. I add in some cardio when I want. Each lifting day is 4 to 6 exercises, 4 sets of 10 reps each. The routines take about 45 minutes, and I follow them up with 10 minutes of stretching. I keep cardio to around 20 minutes of jogging/walking, but I'm considering some HIIT.

I've been pretty successful so far in increasing the weight each week. I'm seeing the trainer again Saturday to re-evaluate the routine.

I lift after work, so typically around 6:30 and then have dinner right after. If it's a weekend, I typically have a meal scheduled right after a workout regardless of the time.

I've never believed in adding calories when exercising, but I've also never been eating this little. Im concerned that I'll trick myself into eating way more calories than I'm burning in the gym.

Actually, your routine sounds like a pretty good one at your stage. You are hungry because your body is screaming for raw materials to start building. 1200 calories is too low for that much activity. I would add that you shouldn't fear fat, juust avoid the crappy kind. Milk, cheese, yogurt, etc... are good ideas if you are weightlifting. Not only does it have natures perfect blend of fat/carbs/protein, milk has naturally occuring growth hormone for, you know, growing muscles!

Personally, I think you should be in the 1500-1800 calorie range. And eventually when/if your lifting gets to the 100+ lbs major lifts, you will be in the 2000-2500 range. My surgeon reviewed my diet logs and lifting diary and said he thinks I should go to 3500 and I told him it just wasn't possible. He's a lifter, so I think he was thinking with that part of his brain instead of the former fat guy just wants to be healthy!

If I were to increase calories, would that be on days when I work out only, or every day?

I'm meeting with my nutritionist tomorrow. I'm going to ask her a lot of this, too.

Well, I need fuel for the workout and raw materials on recovery days. If you are lifting 5 rep max weights, I'd go every day same calorie goal. If you are still losing rapidly, workout day.

Sent from my phone. Please forgive brevity and spelling.

Well, I need fuel for the workout and raw materials on recovery days. If you are lifting 5 rep max weights, I'd go every day same calorie goal. If you are still losing rapidly, workout day.

Sent from my phone. Please forgive brevity and spelling.

Thanks for the feedback.

My nutritionist is happy with 1200-1400 calories daily, on the lower end on days I don't work out.

She was also happy with the 120 grams of Protein and the fact that Im eating Quest bars rather than another protein bar.

No recommendations on supplements.< br>

Quest bars used to be very popular on this forum. Then about a year and half ago they changed their recipe and are now using a lot of corn based filler. Some people noted the taste was different. We don't keep them in my house because they are more expensive and my wife has a corn allergy.