Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Low Iron (feeling discouraged)

Hello everyone,

I started the process for bariatric surgery in March 2016. I have attended all the meetings requested. The bariatric team approved me for Surgery in February 2017. I had to take an H-Pylory test a couple weeks ago and it came back positive. I am on antibiotics for two weeks. Now the only thing stopping me is my low Iron count. I've been taking 65 mg of iron (equivalent to 325 mg ferrous sulfate) twice a day. I'm also taking a Multi-Vitamin that has 18mg of iron in it. I have been on them for a little over a month, My lab results came back in the mail today and my iron is still low. It even said in the letter "you will need to fix this before having bariatric surgery". My daily iron intake didn't really make a difference. The letter is telling me take the same amount of iron I am currently taking and that they will test again in a month.

I'm sure I am not the only one this has happened to. Can anyone that this has happened to shed some light my way? At this point I'm feeling a bit discouraged. This entire process is taking longer than I thought. In part it's because of all the waiting in between tests and results.

http://www.healthyandnaturalworld.com/how-to-increase-iron-levels-in-your-blood/

this article talks about how to increase your Iron absorption. It mentions taking Vit C to help with abstention and talks about certain foods to avoid that may interfere with the absorption.

I don't have any personal experience, but hopefully this helps.

19 hours ago, VSG4Mag said:

http://www.healthyandnaturalworld.com/how-to-increase-iron-levels-in-your-blood/

this article talks about how to increase your Iron absorption. It mentions taking Vit C to help with abstention and talks about certain foods to avoid that may interfere with the absorption.

I don't have any personal experience, but hopefully this helps.

Thank you :-)

21 minutes ago, sherri scheffler said:

I just found out that since my bypass in 2013 I'm unable to absorb Vitamin D anymore now I must get Prolia shots @ $1,500 per shot twice a year this stinks.

Wow! That's crazy!

I saw the Dr last week. I am to continue taking my Iron pills for another month. If they levels are not up they will do IV iron. Five sessions in 14 day period.

9 hours ago, sherri scheffler said:

I just found out that since my bypass in 2013 I'm unable to absorb Vitamin D anymore now I must get Prolia shots @ $1,500 per shot twice a year this stinks.

If you can't absorb it through your bypass, would the transdermal Patches work?

I got them mainly bc I have a tough time tolerating Vitamins (pre-surgery) and I figured it would be tough getting them in with enough liquid post op.

I also read that your gut (surgery or no surgery)can destroy many vitamins before they have a chance to be absorbed into our bodies.

I cant tell you if my levels are good bc I haven't been teased yet, but the PA at my office said patients with them have no deficiencies.

Springauto promo code gave me 40% off on patchmd.com

this is the first time I can get my husband to take vitamins too- I just slap one or two on him -lol

Do you have a cast Iron skillet? It's another easy way to get more iron into your diet.

I had anemia after being vegan for a long, long time. I was told to start taking Iron supplements and with my morning OJ, but it did nothing. After doing some online research I came across a medical study on a different type of iron supplement called: "Ferrochel Chelated Iron Bisglycinate". I was intrigued by the information, so I found a company (Now brand) that produces it. I have been taking it for 4 months, 2 pills a day. I no longer have anemia. I'm not ever going without it again. Talk to your doctor & do a bit of research to see if it may be right for you too. Good luck :)

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using BariatricPal mobile app

9 hours ago, Ldyvenus said:

Do you have a cast Iron skillet? It's another easy way to get more Iron into your diet.

I don't own one. I will look into it tonight. Thank you

7 hours ago, A Fox Named Mulder said:

I had anemia after being vegan for a long, long time. I was told to start taking Iron supplements and with my morning OJ, but it did nothing. After doing some online research I came across a medical study on a different type of Iron supplement called: "Ferrochel Chelated Iron Bisglycinate". I was intrigued by the information, so I found a company (Now brand) that produces it. I have been taking it for 4 months, 2 pills a day. I no longer have anemia. I'm not ever going without it again. Talk to your doctor & do a bit of research to see if it may be right for you too. Good luck :)

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm definitely looking into this. It would be great if it worked for me. I have an appointment coming up in a couple of weeks. Thank you