Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tummy Tuck without muscle repair

Has anyone here gotten a TT without getting muscle repair? Is it always required? My feelings are that with working out, I could really strengthen my ab muscles on my own. Not getting that portion done would reduce the cost of the procedure and recovery time. Any thoughts?

I had an 'Inverted T' (Fleur de lis) without muscle repair - Only because of a previous hernia surgery meant he was unable to do the muscle repair.

I think the only person who can tell you if you need it or not is the surgeon - He/She will know if your muscles have parted or not and if they could do with repairing, alot of the time after having kids your muscles could do with a little repairing especially if they were large babies. Sometimes working out will not bring the muscles back together - Sometimes I guess it might.

If you have the repair your belly will be flatter. Your waist a little slimmer possibly. But yes the muscle repair brings with it the pain of that. Not having the muscle repair meant my TT was not very painful at all. If I did it again and I was able - I would probably go through the pain of the muscle repair as the end result would be better possibly - My actual result is very good - But I guess I might have a more hourglass shape with the muscles done.

Good luck with your Ops

This is me at 5yrs post op - I am 6.5yrs post op now - Have not taken a photo in a while - But things are pretty much the same... My scar is not as good for this op - As it is with the Ops after this - As I only learned of the tricks to a flatter and finer scar after this op - lol

(Actually you can see in the hip to hip scar in the pic - The ends of this scar were redone in a different op as it overlapped it - That scar is very very fine and flat and almost invisible - That is due to me putting the micropore tape in a complete circle round me and relatively tightly - Not deadly tight so you cannot function lol - But the scar was supported and also flattened and now - It is left being much finer and flatter in comparison to the vertical scar above it - Not that that is what this post is about - Lol)

belly%20aug%2015_zpsvpqjy6ft.jpg

Edited by Scamp

Hi I know many guys don't get this done. But i had a lower body lift a number of years ago.

I had a lap band and my Port was about 3 inches or so the right. after my body lift it was 3 inches on the LEFT!

I said to the surgeon, You moved my port? he replied no that is where it ended up after tightening the muscles.

I don't know why you wouldn't have it done.

One bit of advice (listen to the Nurses! ) They said if you don't have a recliner than purchase one. It will be your best friend. I actually slept in mine for a few weeks. It made it so easy to get up and move around etc. I

When I went to my consult for my lower body lift my surgeon mentioned that, based on her exam, I may not need muscle repair. She really couldn't palpate much of a diastasis in my muscles. She said that she would plan on the muscle repair, so we book enough time in the OR, but that if she "wasn't impressed" when she gets in there then she would leave the muscle alone. Basically, the muscle repair adds to risk and recovery, so if it isn't going to make a big difference in my end result she didn't feel it was worth the risk of doing the repair. I guess I'm a bit ambivalent about it. I want the best result possible...but If I'm lucky enough to truly not need the muscle repair, then great! I was surprised because I was obese my entire life, even in childhood, so I thought for sure I would need the muscle repair. Possibly one thing that helped is that I've never been pregnant. That often always leads to the diastasis recti!

Good luck!!! :)

Muscle repair is in my opinion essential. It is what will give you a small curvy waist and give you long lasting results. I would not use a surgeon who did not offer that.

I say if their going in let them repair muscles. Soooo worth it!!!! You can still work out but no amount of working out can repair the separation damage. You list the weight you deserve it