Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating solid foods after surgery did you slip up ?

Hello am on day 4 of by pre op diet and it's been extremely hard , but am also down 9lbs already.

I love my dietitian but she's very regimented. She told me she hasn't had sugar in ten years ( referring to cakes Cookies etc..) and she expects the same from her patients. I know sugar can be a slippery slope but does this seem extreme to you?

A co-worker has had the sleeve lost over 200lbs (she's over three years out). She eats and exercise now but still has a cookie now and then.

Am thinking about finding another dietitian.

There are so many low carb sugar free substitutes there is really no reason to have sugar unless you just want to.

You have to live in your body not her. It is really easy to dodge sugar if you want to.

I don't eat sugar to the point I don't eat fruit but that is my choice.

I haven't had any sugar in over a year, and I don't plan on having any in the foreseeable future. You have to decide what you can live with yourself, but since you are just 4 days post-op, I you shouldn't be having any sugar any time soon anyway.

Once you are in maintenance, then you'll probably want to find a balance of calories, carbs, Protein, fat, sugar, etc., but only you can know if sugar will lead you down a path of bad habits. (It would for me. I was a terrible carb addict, so I will have to minimize sugars and carbs for the rest of my life.)

So it depends on you I have come to my own realization that it is extremely addicting for me and if I get some today I want it tomorrow so I have found that I will occasionally indulge in a slice of cake but I keep that minimal and not often once a month. My weakness is movie theater kettle corn that I have 1 a month.

I did find staying away from sugar hard pre-surgery, so I therefore don't want to have it in my eating plan now. I was the type who wouldn't be able to stop at one cookie/biscuit and have a feeling it would be a slider food for me anyway, so I am not going to even try.

Kate

I tried to stick to straight Splenda or other sugar substitutes after surgery... but I love fruit, and while I don't eat certain types of fruit (no apples or peaches or pears unless they are skinless... no pineapple because it is too stringy, etc) I do have strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, and occasionally grapes. And yes - I have "slipped" a couple times - I don't eat Cookies or cakes or muffins anymore EVER no matter WHAT... but I have eaten about an eighth of a cup of low fat, sugar free ice cream twice... and I ate about 5 teaspoons of regular pudding once (I can't stand the taste of sugar free pudding and really was craving something sweet - my son's snack drawer was too close for comfort LOL).

It's not just sweets, either... I do my best to stay away from the temptation - but I am not going to deny the other people in my home the things they want just because I can't have those things - there are many nights I make stir fried meat and veggies for me - but then also make burgers and fries or meatloaf and mashed potatoes or chicken tenders and rice - or something like that - for my husband and son. My husband tries to tell me to make something we can ALL eat together - but most of the stuff they like I am trying to avoid... I can't eat a sandwich or fish sticks or pizza... and the stuff I make for myself might not be what they want (since I eat the exact same meal sometimes 3 times a day for a week or more without changing it at all). And I try not to put myself in a position to be tempted - I try not to bring too many chips, pretzels, popcorn, candy, sweets, etc into the house - but if my husband wants Doritos, he is an adult and I can't tell him no - I just stay away from it so I am not tempted. Yesterday, we went to my son's friend's birthday party - everyone around me enjoyed pizza, cake and ice cream. I normally excuse myself from the room but this time I sat there and watched everyone else enjoy the food - all I ate was the cheese off of one slice and my husband ate the crust for me since I can't eat that. I realized I can be around it and not be too tempted - that I was strong enough to say no - which was good to know.

I tried to stick to straight Splenda or other sugar substitutes after surgery... but I love fruit, and while I don't eat certain types of fruit (no apples or peaches or pears unless they are skinless... no pineapple because it is too stringy, etc) I do have strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, and occasionally grapes. And yes - I have "slipped" a couple times - I don't eat Cookies or cakes or muffins anymore EVER no matter WHAT... but I have eaten about an eighth of a cup of low fat, sugar free ice cream twice... and I ate about 5 teaspoons of regular pudding once (I can't stand the taste of sugar free pudding and really was craving something sweet - my son's snack drawer was too close for comfort LOL).
It's not just sweets, either... I do my best to stay away from the temptation - but I am not going to deny the other people in my home the things they want just because I can't have those things - there are many nights I make stir fried meat and veggies for me - but then also make burgers and fries or meatloaf and mashed potatoes or chicken tenders and rice - or something like that - for my husband and son. My husband tries to tell me to make something we can ALL eat together - but most of the stuff they like I am trying to avoid... I can't eat a sandwich or fish sticks or pizza... and the stuff I make for myself might not be what they want (since I eat the exact same meal sometimes 3 times a day for a week or more without changing it at all). And I try not to put myself in a position to be tempted - I try not to bring too many chips, pretzels, popcorn, candy, sweets, etc into the house - but if my husband wants Doritos, he is an adult and I can't tell him no - I just stay away from it so I am not tempted. Yesterday, we went to my son's friend's birthday party - everyone around me enjoyed pizza, cake and ice cream. I normally excuse myself from the room but this time I sat there and watched everyone else enjoy the food - all I ate was the cheese off of one slice and my husband ate the crust for me since I can't eat that. I realized I can be around it and not be too tempted - that I was strong enough to say no - which was good to know.

Good job I hope I'm able to be that strong

13 hours ago, slimntrim said:

I'm not strong lol. I will taste and sample whatever the kids have Lol

I am like you. I prefer to do a moderation diet as opposed to an elimination diet and that's what works for me. Will it work for everyone? No it won't but you have to find what works for you and follow that diet. Sugar was never a big trigger for me in the sense of candy, cakes and Cookies. I was always a bread and carbs person so I try an avoid breads, Pasta and other high carb foods. I had a couple bites of cake last week and it did nothing for me. I also personally try and avoid artificial sweetener as much as possible, I hate the sick sweetness and it's horrible for you. I stick to natural sugars and Water.

I'm really just taking it easy. I'm sticking to the doctors orders and just doing liquids. However, I did have a little piece of cheese off of a slice of pizza last night. But i don't want to do anything to jeopardize my health. So I'm behaving. LOL